Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Castaño
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Hi guys.
I have almost glued all the miniatures in the game but Strafire, which I'm gluing now. I have used Citadel's universal poly cement and things have gone smooth with it.
But browsing the web while waiting for some parts to dry I just stumbled upon their nice assembly guide in which -the horror!- they recommend to use super glue!
Did I err?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pablithor wrote:
Hi guys.
I have almost glued all the miniatures in the game but Strafire, which I'm gluing now. I have used Citadel's universal poly cement and things have gone smooth with it.
But browsing the web while waiting for some parts to dry I just stumbled upon their nice assembly guide in which -the horror!- they recommend to use super glue!
Did I err?

As long as the glue you used is holding you should be fine. There are enough varieties of plastics and glues for them that if I were a game publisher, I would avoid the issue entirely and suggest superglue. But if the one you used worked, then I can't see why you'd have any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they suggested super glue for the more uninformed. Miniature and board gamers are a bit more used to this hobby and mostly know that there are several glues for this.

Edit: I think I read the previous post wrong. I don't remember if they suggest superglue on the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Castaño
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
They suggest it on the assembly guide
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73036/super-dungeon-explor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pablithor wrote:

Which strangely does not come with the game itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the type of plastic really, poly-cement I thought was ideal for all plastics, until I assembled my Starship Troopers minis with it.
The figures held fine as I saw, until I dropped a Cap-Trooper accidentally and it shattered into all its component parts.:cry:
I had to reglue all my figures then with superglue.

Until then I had no trouble with poly-cement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Ghost
msg tools
mbmbmb
I also thought a lot about which glue to use for the game pieces. Due to the small size of some pieces and the smallness of some of the assembly, I went with both superglue and green stuff.

Green stuff is nice to glue pieces, bridge gaps and sculpt elements. I much needed green stuff for the barabarian (the arm did not align with the stub handling the axe - I sculpted an arm bit) and the fire wizard (the wrist stubs did not align with the arm holes - I corrected with green stuff). Some other plastic sockets were also a tad wider than needed for their male counterpart: this weakens superglue bond in my own experience. I used green stuff to correct that.

IMHO, superglue is nice for beginning modeling but it is soon not enough to have lasting game pieces.

Ghostly yours,
Red.

PS: speaking of the barbarian, I looked at the assembly guide. The barbarian I got in my set does not have quite the same pose as the one on the guide. My own barabarian was missing an arm bit with a protruding elbow (the socket was clearly visible on my figurine). This is why I had to sculpt an arm in green stuff on my barbarian. Red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norris
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The assembly guide recommends super glue because the plastic is not polystyrene, so most polystyrene cement will not bond properly. If you are having luck with it then great but most will find that the polystyrene cement will not bond properly.

As one of the posters above pointed out super glue and green stuff are the best way to go. I went with apoxy sculpt but it is similar to green stuff. Many of the pieces are a little too big and loose to fit with just super glue, and by extension polystyrene cement as the pieces must touch to glue. Green stuff or other epoxy putty is good at bridging the gap and making a solid join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Brick
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Gorilla Glue (clear). Seems to be fine. I did use some Testors contour putty to close the seams on the bear, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. Seems like paint will fill in those gaps pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Castaño
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Hum...
Now that you've pointed it out, perhaps my joints are not as well bonded as I think.
Let's hope they hold.
If not, it will be green putty time!
Thanks for your feedback, and stop SOPA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.