Popular Tags: [View All]
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9P Resistance is always a tough choice. The canonical version is 6 Resistance Operatives and 3 Spies, which is pretty tough for the Spies since the Resistance don't even have to know all of their members for Mission 5. On the other hand, 5 Resistance Operatives and 4 Spies is extremely tough for Resistance, since there are so many Spies. Hence, last night we tried the following variant to great success:

There are 4 Spies consisting of two spy teams. Team A (e.g. the vampiric looking male and the female spy) will have a reveal phase and so only know the other person on their team. Team B (e.g. the other two) will also have their own separate reveal phase.

Thus the Resistance have to have a perfect team for Mission 5 with all 5 RO, but the Spies have to be careful not to inadvertently out the other Spy Team or get a double-fail. They will be able to actually benefit from the character reveal plot cards, and have to use logic and deduction of their own to discover the other spy team and misdirect the Resistance. We only tried it once last night, but everyone enjoyed it and it really revived a game that had been getting a bit stale for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I think this is... awesome! Will definitely try this out soon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Todd
United States
Canton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, at first glance this seems like a pretty sound idea. I haven't played The Resistance much with 9 or 10 player counts so I'm not that familiar with this problem. I'll have to squirrel this concept away for the future though if it ever becomes problematic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at a conference last week and in the evenings we played many games of The Resistance. We were playing with ten players, but we came up with the exact same idea, and we even divided them the same way. It definitely seemed to bring the game to a more balanced state, though more testing is needed. Before the change the spies were winning quite easily. After the change it seemed much more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 10 it's a little more interesting, because once again the Resistance don't need a perfect team for Round 5. In our group it's pretty evenly balanced between Spies and Resistance at 10, so if I were to implement this I'd probably also make Mission 5 be 6 players, so the Resistance must have it perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, have the Resistance won any of them yet?

My feeling are the game scales perfectly regardless of number of players. Differently, sure. There's a big difference between playing with 33% spies and 43% spies. In a lower-spy game, the spies have an easier time blending into the Resistance. In a higher spy game, the spies can just fail missions and they just need 1 or 2 Resistance members to be in doubt for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

My feeling are the game scales perfectly regardless of number of players. Differently, sure. There's a big difference between playing with 33% spies and 43% spies. In a lower-spy game, the spies have an easier time blending into the Resistance. In a higher spy game, the spies can just fail missions and they just need 1 or 2 Resistance members to be in doubt for the win.
I must agree. Regular 9p Resistance is hard for Resistance, not spies, in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only tried one with this variant, and the Resistance handily won. In our 9P games with 3 Spies and plot cards, the Resistance generally win. A lot of that depends upon what plot cards come up, of course, and how competent the spies are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh. We never play with plot cards. If you want to the real 9p experience, play without. It's very hard for Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know. I'm fond of playing without plot cards, but the group I play it with isn't. Some of them are incapable of deduction without them, whereas I think they're a bit of a crutch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, pity. Agreed all around. Maybe remove the more powerful plot cards instead then to balance it? I don't like mucking with the game's ratios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you figuring out through more physical cues, or deduction? Just curious - if everyone knows everyone's tells, then the Resistance is going to win even with 5 spies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Are you figuring out through more physical cues, or deduction? Just curious - if everyone knows everyone's tells, then the Resistance is going to win even with 5 spies.

I'm pretty sure Steve uses deduction based on voting. I have been foiled many times by this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to go mostly on deduction, and some on physical and behavioral cues. I've been misled by the physical/behavioral before, so I use it to inform my opinions but always defer to deduction.

My group rarely plays without plot cards, as mentioned, and the last time was several weeks ago when I was a spy and we killed them. It's been some time since I was Resistance sans plot cards.

I'm also fond of playing with plot cards but keeping them secret during distribution until they're resolved. It adds a new layer of intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1awesomeguy wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I'm pretty sure Steve uses deduction based on voting. I have been foiled many times by this one...

I bet you were, spy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you've joined the conversation, how did you like that variant? You were one of the spies that game, as I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
Since you've joined the conversation, how did you like that variant? You were one of the spies that game, as I recall.

I liked it a lot actually. Minus being attacked by your girlfriend, it was all good fun

What I like about the variant is that it gives the spies something else to deduce. Also, if you are playing with plot cards, it makes it so the spies can actually get some information from them. What I like about The Resistance is the deduction element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the biggest spy tell is that they aren't deducing anything, therefore you can tell who is a spy by how much they are trying to figure out. Having the spies have something to figure out would screw me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be running Steve's variant via PBF beginning in the next couple of days. I have not announced it yet on the PBF Waiting List. I thought I would announce it here first, as that is where most of the interest lies. If you are interested in playing, please PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil, IF you need a 9th, I'll be your 9th. Put me in a sub or alternate 9th only, however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Are there any stats of win rates percentage for 5-10 player counts that statistically show which side has the advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.