Popular Tags: [View All]
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGGers,

I have just registered for Vasal online and needed help getting started playing some games. I would prefer to start with a beginner game like Carc to get the hang of it. Is there a guide for getting started in the forums?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCartney
United States
Delaware
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to play games on vassal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fbsfbs wrote:
Hello BGGers,

I have just registered for Vasal online and needed help getting started playing some games. I would prefer to start with a beginner game like Carc to get the hang of it. Is there a guide for getting started in the forums?

Thanks!

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to target modules that attract a lot of players. Unless you already have opponents then you're going to find it difficult to get games on the less popular games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way I found to get familiar with Vassal is to get a game that you know really well. You know how all the mechanics work. Start an offline game by yourself and just start clicking everything. Every menu, every toolbar. Right click on things, to see what options pop-up. Practice using the keyboard shortcuts that are listed when you click on a menu. Seriously. Just spend an hour clicking on everything. If it's a game you understand really well, then everything will start to make sense, and you'll know how Vassal does things and can find your way around less familiar games more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyone's advice. I will certaily try "clicking" everything to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassone is probably not the best module to start off with. It is not as fluid as you would think due to it being a tile game and the grid not being as fluid.

Try Carson City or a solo module like Sunburst City Transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Howe
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Memoir '44 with people new to Vassal, and the controls for that module are easy to pick up. There's even a cheatsheet on the board showing the hotkeys for various control (flagging and removing units, removing board elements in-game, etc).

Some modules include a help guide for the game, that walks you through using Vassal to play the game. If the authors included one, they should be listed under the Help menu, in the middle of the drop down menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Messina
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
Vassal also includes a user's guide on the help menu. It's got the basics of how to install the engine, play live and PBEM, and use the controls. (No specific module instructions, but many modules include those.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.