Subject: First Game Impressions Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Stone Age as a Christmas present from my wife and last night was the first chance to play it. Our recent gaming sessions have been 4-player with myself, my wife, my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. This was no different.

The worker-placement concept is fairly new for this group. We had played one game of Agricola recently which was pretty painful (mostly because of the learning curve). That being said, I had high hopes for this game as the WP concept wasn't new and the game seemed a bit more forgiving that Agricola from the rules.

So, I started the rules explanation around 7 pm.

The kids interrupted many times.

We got the kids to bed.

We started the game around 7:20 pm.

By 7:22, someone had coined the term "Love Shack."

Since none of us really knew what we were doing, we started collecting resources, people, fields, cards, and huts. It was more or less a little bit of everything to try and figure out what was going on. The boyfriend went for people and fields. I tried to get some cards and build some huts. My wife loaded up on resources and built huts. Sister-in-law bought a lot of culture cards and kept her team small. She also built a lot of huts.

About halfway through the game, we decided that it would be a good time to mention endgame-scoring. We were familiar enough with what was going on that it made sense to do so. After that point, people started pushing the game to end and some strategies to score points became more obvious.

Finally around 10:30 pm, the game ended and we totaled up the points. I think the scores were around 240-200-150-150 or so. The game was well-received by all and we'll probably try it out again sometime soon. There was some trepidation about not really getting the strategy but no one was against trying it out again.

As far as new game introduction goes, I think this one was pretty successful. Despite the long session time (there was a lot of non-game chit chat), everyone was engaged until the end.

I think Stone Age has good potential to be a hit in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Stone Age.

My basic strategy is as follows:

Placement 1: Take one of the center board areas if its available. Early game the order of importance is (field, tool, love shack). Later game (Love shack, tool, field).

Placement 2: Secure wood to pay for cards. If I already have wood, I move on to placement 3.

Placement 3: Secure cards, I look for double multipliers first, then singles or art cards that I don't have. In a 4-player game I'll look for the roll cards as well as you have a good chance of getting a field or a tool with 4 dice.

Placement 4: Lock down a hut, look for a hut you have resources for or are one resource type away from getting. With the exception of the wood, it's rare that all 7 spaces will be blocked ahead of you on any of the other resource fields.

Placement 5: Grab resources needed for that hut. If you don't need any resource in general this turn, I go to gold because the gold bars are always nice to have when trying to lock down a random resource hut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time 2 Roll wrote:
My basic strategy is as follows: ...

... Placement 4: Lock down a hut, look for a hut you have resources for or are one resource type away from getting. With the exception of the wood, it's rare that all 7 spaces will be blocked ahead of you on any of the other resource fields.

When considering a hut, look very seriously at the 1-7 (any 1-7 goods) one. It can be worth 42(!!) points if you have seven gold. It should be an automatic grab in second position (assuming #1 goes for the field) in all but perhaps the first or second round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report, thanks for sharing thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.