Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally decided to get Thunderstone after thinking about it on and off for the last year. Playing it on Facebook has confirmed that it seems like my sort of thing.

I had been planning on getting Dragonspire, as the general opinion seemed to be that that was the best place to start for new players.

But the forthcoming release of Advance has muddied the waters and I now don't know whether I'd be better off waiting for that.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I expect I'd be playing it co-op at least half the time (my 9 year old daughter is very keen on co-op games, and after comprehensively crushing the genestealers in our last game of Death Angel is now looking for a new challenge)

Any advice, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody here except the folks at AEG really know what Advance is going to be like yet, so we can't exactly recommend either Dragonspire or Advance over the other. If you don't want to wait until March for the reviews to come in, though, Dragonspire is a perfectly solid place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what Advanced will be like but I started with Dragonspire and have no regrets about that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dragonspire or the original as a starting place. However, with Advance coming soon, I strongly suspect that will be the best place to start. One of its specific goals is to serve as a new jumping on point for people that are new to the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into TS in November. I started with the base set and now I have them all. I did buy them in order and found it a nice build up of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't tell you not to buy Dragonspire.

But as Ian points out, we designed Advance to be a solid starting place. It provides fixes for some niggling problems in Thunderstone as she is written, and is somewhat more colorful, so might appeal to 9-year-olds better (depending on the 9-year-old, of course).

Also, I'm glad to hear it's your sort of thing! Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
As you're playing with your daughter I'd lean a little more towards the base set. In my opinion the heroes there tend to be the stronger types, while the monsters feel a little weaker. As well, you can get a better feel for the game before adding guardians, traps, treasure, special diseases, and settings to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.