Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm investigating if such a toy exists... and hoping any BGGers might know of something to fit my desires... (or perhaps DIY'd one once before).

I grew up with the collector's itch... going from the early days of baseball/football cards... through the M:tG phase in high school.. and I suppose I continue to fight the urges as I "collect" whole board games now. And I understand the joy people can get when finishing a set of cards, stamps, coins, books by author..etc..etc.

So.. as a father.. I'd like to introduce such joy to my son (and I suppose his younger sister some day).

However.. I'm looking to avoid the racket that comes with collectible stickers and cards.

*I'll put aside the argument that maybe I'm raising him a bit soft in this regard.. and he should learn the hard way that if you want that rare M:tG card.. or Jordan rookie card.. you just need to go to the hobby store and purchase it!

At the store now, there are numerous things to collect.. sporting cards, Pokemon of course... and even just the simple sticker books (book with numbered blank spots.. and associate booster packs.. in your favorite Disney or Nickelodeon show theme). But.. we all know that business model is to help them sell more packs.. and make more money... and it takes much more effort than needed to "complete the set."

So.. does a 'product' exist.. or perhaps a 'system' exist... where a parent can purchase the collector's book.. and the entire set of booster packs.. such that they will be guaranteed to get the full set? It then becomes only the interaction between parent and child when to give out the next booster (award, positive re-enforce, working towards a goal, collecting sets, joy of completing something).

Based on the sticker book product line, one could purchase the book which let's say requires 300 stickers to complete entirely... and this package also includes 30 sealed boosters of 10 stickers each. The entire line of 300 stickers is divided fully across the sealed boasters. Parent then can give out individual boosters to his children at their own timetable.
No rush to purchase them all before the line is out of print.
No purchasing a full booster of duplicates near the end, while you hunt for those last two (will we EVER find them?!?).

This way, the child gets that "rip it open, what's inside?" moment.. and parents can avoid (for now) the long hunt and expense trail of looking for those final set-completing items.

* I know there's perhaps many things wrong with this with pure collectors.. and part of the "true joy" is knowing that some set is not already pre-assembled. But again, I suppose I'm looking for a parental aid... with plans to work towards the more legitimate collector's hobby later in life.

* I also know I'm avoiding another key aspect of collecting, which is trading with friends. And I agree this is also important to learn in life.

I'm thinking T-ball before "coach pitch". :-) We all get on base.. and it's more about going through the motions right now.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thunderstone or Dominion would probably be able to work for you like that. Get him the base set then buy a few expansions plus some plastic baggies. Bag each set of cards and create a bit of a lucky dip (or if it's a really good reward he can choose!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is only two.. so obviously much to young for serious games right now. (but I'm counting the days!). In fact, I got this whole idea walking through the store and noticing (and suddenly remembering) the whole sticker book collecting product line. Completely forgot such things existed.

In fact, I'm not really looking for a game (.. hm... will that statement alone flag this thread for delete? cool ).. but really just a collectible toy... and hoping some fellow gamers have explored this area before.

I've consider just purchasing the full set of hot wheels for some year.. and reward good behavior that way... holding back each package. Similar to my idea.. but my recollection from my youth was the collecting of sets with the larger set (all of a team for sporting... or all of a page in sticker collection.... different artwork of same card). ... and ripping open the booster feel that so many know and love.

Living card games are cool this way.. and also thinking similar to purchasing the Summoner Wars: Master Set and just holding back the various sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing the age, would heroscape maybe work? Last I checked (which was a while ago) most stuff was still reasonably available, and the packs aren't random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the point. I would never introduce it if I had kids and I would try to limit any such ideas.

It's part of being human to want to collect things I suppose but it makes no sense and is an economic and stupid waste.

(You could argue different because "it gives a good feeling" or whatever.)

Too me it's similar to introducing drugs. Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could look at the Lego Collectible Minifigures. They are blind packed but fans have found a few was to tell what is in each pack without opening them. Even if you buy a sealed case, the distribution is fixed and there are at least three full sets per case, along with some extras. On top of that, they are really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of Skylanders (from this comic: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/10/14 ). It requires a videogame system to get the most out of it and seems expensive, but it's a line of collectible toys that's sold in fixed packs, and it's still being produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottieGGGG wrote:
My son is only two..
LOTR:TCG would had been my suggestion against MTG.

But at two years what about Lego? Personally I think the more interesting Lego pieces is the least specialized ones.

Kids got imagination and you can build more with less specialized blocks anyway.

I don't remember it but mom has told me that when I was young and had got a technology Lego car and another guy was over and we asked if we could play / build with it or whatever we wasn't allowed to take it apart ... (edit: by my father of course.)

I know it was the same with my RC car. I was told to not run it in sand or on gravel so I kinda didn't but it went slow in grass and it would probably not had died by some gravel or sand and been much more fun that way. So why not? It's not the end of the world if it had taken some damage in the long run.

Where am I going with that? I don't know. Probably that Lego is for building things. Not to get a built thing and look at the pretty ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the model. You can argue that random packs are a negative thing to introduce, but I don't think you can make the same argument successfully against non-random distribution.

Think about how numerous you want the "collection" to be. Summoner Wars is on the light side with soon to be 16 factions, and most board games are going to have less pieces than that. LCGs have a lot more pieces, maybe more than you want, but you can easily hand them out in groups to adjust to your needs.

I'd probably go with the LCG route and pick one where the theme suits your son's age and the type of game you want. Lord of the Rings is cooperative (and so is the upcoming Star Wars). Warhammer Invasion is 2p. A Game of Thrones is both 2p and multi-player, although it seems multi-player is more common. Call of Cthulhu is 2p, but probably better suited for someone a little older due to the theme. The coop games may be a bit too hard for him and it's trickier to alter the difficulty than to simply detune your deck or play poorly in a competitive game.

Be mindful of what the theme will encourage him to branch out towards. A Game of Thrones will make him want to read the novels one day - make sure you approve of them. Warhammer Invasion will likely make him want to play the miniatures game, a game that often gets criticism for quality and a company that is even more criticized for their treatment of their fans. Lord of the Rings will encourage reading those books and watching the movies, and is better known than A Game of Thrones so will likely tie in to video games and such. Same with Star Wars when that comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw two cents in here.

There is some child development studies that would say that your son will naturally begin a "Collector's Phase" of sorts when they get around 7-9 years old. No need to rush it at 2.

Until then, rather than having a focused set to collect and discover, I would instead help him discover as many different types of things out there, so when he begins to "collect", he can guide some of what he's collecting.

That said... for what you are looking for, go with an LCG or something with figurines... more tangible than cards, something more open-ended.

Lego sets for instance... or K'Nex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
You can buy a ton of Pokemon figures on eBay for a song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a fiend for those sticker collection albums: big movies, The World Cup, Football League teams with photos of the players and big silver ones for the badges (which were worth two normal ones in swaps).

They usually gave an address where, once you only needed 10 stickers or so, you could give them a list of your remaining wants and they would send them to you at a slightly higher cost than buying a pack.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Got...got...got...got...
NEED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
No need to rush it at 2.

Yes.. I knew this going into this discussion. But.. that doesn't mean I'm already looking at designs for a tree house to build with him someday..

.. and when I'm defending a new game purchase with my wife.. I'm already using "But I can play this with him when he gets older"

Lego sets are certainly in our future.. (and.. in fact already in place now). More generic "bunch of blocks" kits.. and not the individual sets just yet. I also was (and still am) an avid Lego fan.

The argument to discover and collect on his own is indeed valid.. and good point of view. In researching this topic.. and "collecting" in general as a hobby.. I'm noticing the two types.

- open ended type of collection (marbles, leaves, stones, shells, all things frogs...).. where you just collect cool versions of something.. and there's really no end / completeness.
- closed collecting - all the 50 state quarters, all the skylander toys, a series (i.e. 2011 set) of cards. Here you can "finish" a set and move on to the next.

I'm learning I'm more drawn toward the closed set of collecting, but also understand that my son might not be... (and might not be interested in collecting at all!).

Again, this all stemmed from those sticker booster packs I saw in the store, and me wondering if I should open that door with my children.. and when.. and how best to do this... and how to relive my own experience through their eyes.

The "buy the full set, but I can distribute" idea brought me here. I'd much rather reward good behavior via giving him another pack, rather than "Good job! Let's go to the store and buy something!" I suppose the pre-purchased just further helps my "planned ahead" way of thinking.

Thanks for all suggestions so far.. and keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a game, but if you are looking for something with a definite limit as to how many there are, and something that will be readily available you could always do the state quarters thing. Plus you still get the side benefit of maybe teaching him a little about US history if you have the inclination. Perhaps make a little sport out of going through all mommy and daddies change from the previous week looking for little treasures. (perhaps with a few guarantees some weeks stashed in there on purpose) Maybe after the entire set is collected he gets a reward perhaps since I don't know how much "fun" he will consider a map with a buncha coins on it. But figure this for like a year long training on collecting, then see what develops naturally.

Plus teaching your kid that money is not just for spending couldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
I used to be a fiend for those sticker collection albums: big movies, The World Cup, Football League teams with photos of the players and big silver ones for the badges (which were worth two normal ones in swaps).

They usually gave an address where, once you only needed 10 stickers or so, you could give them a list of your remaining wants and they would send them to you at a slightly higher cost than buying a pack.

Got...got...got...got...
NEED!

Reminds me of the beginning of movie Big...
"Got it.. got it.. need it.. got it.. need it... WOOOAH!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelsith wrote:
Its not a game, but if you are looking for something with a definite limit as to how many there are, and something that will be readily available you could always do the state quarters thing. Plus you still get the side benefit of maybe teaching him a little about US history if you have the inclination. Perhaps make a little sport out of going through all mommy and daddies change from the previous week looking for little treasures. (perhaps with a few guarantees some weeks stashed in there on purpose) Maybe after the entire set is collected he gets a reward perhaps since I don't know how much "fun" he will consider a map with a buncha coins on it. But figure this for like a year long training on collecting, then see what develops naturally.

Plus teaching your kid that money is not just for spending couldn't hurt.

Good idea indeed... and there is the newer "Presidents on the Dollar Coin" thing going on now..

If only change was easier to obtain and part of my life in the year 2012.

.... and I can only wonder if my son will know what "paper money" is, when it comes time for him to shop on his own? :-) Won't he purchase things via his cell phone ?
(scratch that - When can I just purchase things with MY cell phone!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
If it wasn't out of print, I would say that Heroscape is definitely the best way to go with this.

There are sets out there which you can collect, the figures are like toys (and can be used just like action figures), and it's a super sweet awesome game.

You can probably hit up ebay and start making some purchases now before it gets super expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Our house is FULL of collections my kids have assembled. I've tried to follow their lead when they get excited about things. At 2, they wanted trains, at 3 they wanted Bob the Builder stuff, at 4 they wanted all the cars from the movie Cars, at 5 they settled down to collecting Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Bakugan and Bey Blades. At 11, the only thing that has survived is the Yu-Gi-Oh. This is just the stuff you can buy, it does not include the piles of stones & interesting sticks and comic books.

Every time I've tried to anticipate a "collection", they have been uninterested. Then I feel annoyed because I put effort into it, and I have a harder time getting rid of it.

Every child gets excited about different things. Every marketer wants to tap into that excitement. He'll tell you soon enough what he likes.

I have a whole mess of Bakugan, should you wish to pay for shipping...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going so of topic but I just wanted to add regarding the collecting / collector / hunter & gather part of humanity [sp](but why collect things you don't need and of which there is an infinite amount / you will never be finished collecting?) ...[/sp]

... that there are other better things to collect than things like hockey cards or whatever [sp](hey, at least if they had cool art such as Gosu ..)[/sp] and other ways of doing so.

Just as with Lego it may not matter that much what you collect, natural stones you think look nice or shells or something such may work just as well.

If you put the stones in a glass tank filled with water the colors come through better and you can probably add salt or something to prevent growth.

Sorry for not helping , guess I've been fostered into being economic.

(But also pick what I really want. Which may make seem weird, but because of that I argue/pick quality over quantity.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd like to throw in is that you won't be able to control what he will like to collect. Not completely/forever. One day, out of the blue, I got into collecting precious stones in the middle of a vacation. And while everyone was collecting those soccer stickers I didn't wanna be caught dead with those. You can't control where lightning strikes.

If you want to start something yourself I'd definitely do something that you can complete. The quarters thing sounds like a good idea. Beyond that I'd say it'll be hard to start a collection that does not somehow connect to his interests.

As for games, there's a good number of LCG or similar products like Summoner Wars that have something of a collectible aspect without the huge money investment of a CCG. But then again learning how to cope with a money sink like a CCG is an important lesson too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.