K. David Ladage
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! My name is K. David Ladage and I am a Thunderstone fan. I was discussing the new version/expansion that has been announced with some friends when the concept of Epic Thunderstone came up. I admitted that I knew little of it (even though some people had made some comments in the threads on the new version that, now knowing that the Epic variant is, make a lot more sense). I was pointed in the right direction and I have to say, after reading the rules for Epic Thunderstone and truying it out, I think this is more in line with the way Thunderstone should be played.

To that end, after crunching the versions out there, I offer you the...

KDL Epic Thunderstone Variant
Original Epic Thunderstone by Richard Launius
Additional Epic Varients by Tom Vasel, Yoki Eerdtman
KDL Epic Varient by K. David Ladage

Abreviations and Symbols
# = Number of players
XP = Experience Points
VP = Victory Points

Stocking the Dungeon
Randomly select #+1 Monster types (exclude trap, treasure, and swarm/horde types). Separate the monsters into three piles: Pile 1 will have all monsters that grant 1 XP; Pile 2 will have all monsters that grant 2 XP, Pile 3 will have all remaining monsters.

If you wish to use traps, randomly select a type of Trap. Shuffle these cards distribute them into the three piles with a 1:2:3 ratio (e.g., if you have six total trap cards, one is added to pile 1, two are added to pile 2, and three are added to pile 3).

If you wish to use treasures, randomly select a type of Treasure. Shuffle these cards distribute them into the three piles with a 0:1:2 ratio (e.g., if you have six total treasure cards, none are added to pile 1, two are added to pile 2, and four are added to pile 3).

If you wish to use swarm/horde cards, randomly select a Swarm/Horde. Distribute the 'dungeon stack' cards for the swarm/horde into the three piles in a 1:3:6 ratio (e.g., if you have ten total swarm/horde cards, one is added to pile 1, three are added to pile 2, and six are added to pile 3).

Add two randomly selected Guardians to pile 3. Shuffle these cards together and place them on the dungeon stack (this forms the bottom of the dungeon stack).

Add one randomly selected Guardian to pile 2. Shuffle these cards and place them on the top of the dungeon stack.

Shuffle pile #1 and place them on the top of the dungeon stack.

Shuffle the Thunderstones and place them next to the 'dungeon' stack. When a Guardian is revealed in the dungeon, add the top card of the Thunderstone stack to it. If a Guardian breaches (and enters rank 0), add the top card of the Thunderstone stack to it. If a player defeats a Guardian, they will also gain the Thunderstone(s). If a Thunderstone is also something that needs to be defeated, the player will need to fight both the Guardian and the Thunderstone.

Populating the Village

The General Store
Randomly select # Food types (excluding Iron Rations); randomly select # Light types (excluding Torches; excluding any that have the 'magic' trait). Shuffles these cards together along with the Daggers, Iron Rations, and Torches. Divide them evenly into three 'general store' stacks.

The Village Militia
Place the Militia in a stack next to the 'general store'. Place the Elite Militia in a 'side-stack' (see Heroes, below).

Diseases
Shuffle the Special Disease deck together with an equal number of standard Disease cards. Place these next to the Milita to form the 'disease' stack. Note: any time a disease is cured and returned to the stack, it goes on the bottom.

Heroes
Randomly select #+2 Hero types. Shuffle together all of the Level 1 heroes from these types. Divide them evenly into 4 stacks. Place the level 2+ heroes aside (these are the ‘side stacks’) – heroes cannot be recruited at level 2+; to acquire level 2+ heroes, they must be advanced to that level via XP.

When a hero is advanced from level 1, place the level 1 hero card at the bottom of one of the hero stacks; when a hero is advanced from level 2+, place the level 2+ hero card back into the side-stack for that type of hero. When a Militia is advanced from level 0 to a level 1 hero, or to an Elite Militia, place the Militia back into the Militia stack; when an Elite Militia is advanced to a level 1 hero, place the Elite Militia back into the 'side-stack' for Elite Militia.

Ye Olde Majik Shoppe and Apothecary
Randomly select # Magic items (i.e., any item, with the 'magic' trait, excluding those that have the 'weapon' and 'magic' trait and at least one other trait, but including those that have the 'weapon' and 'magic' trait but no other traits). Shuffle these together and divide them evenly into 2 'magic shop' stacks.

Randomly select # Spells. Shuffle these together and divide them evenly into 2 'apothecary' stacks.

Armory
Randomly select #+2 Weapon types (exclude any weapons that have only the 'magic' trait; include weapons that have the 'magic' trait and at least one other trait). Shuffle these together and divide them evenly into 4 'armory' stacks.

Village Population
Randomly select #+2 Villager types (including Mercenaries). Shuffle these together and divide them evenly into 4 'villager' stacks.

Shame and Wisdom
Shame: When a monster is not defeated and retreats back into the dungeon, the player will gain a number 'shame' tokens equal to the XP that monster was worth. Defeat tokens count as -1 VP at the end of the game. Players, when resting, may opt to remove a 'shame' token instead of purging a card in their hand.

Wisdom: At the end of the game, players gain 1 VP for every 3 XP they have remaining (round up).

Edits
Corrected typos
Corrected militia/elite militia interactions
Corrected ratio for swarm/horde cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.