Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, not sure if anyone noticed or cared, but I've been pretty scarce on BGG the last couple months. I was on a work project that didn't have Internet access and had little free time outside of work. I logged on occasionally - mostly to log plays and check on Secret Santa stuff.

So now that I'm back on my old project, I have Internet access again and am enjoying this time machine that is my subscriptions list (only 1100 threads to go!). But I'm at December 21st now and really enjoying hearing about the Packers loss to the Chiefs. I'm sure those Packers will still go far.

Anyway, only four days until Christmas, so happy holidays, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HO HO HO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, tickmanfan, sorry to hear you're sick! Hope you're feeling better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn it! I was totally going to name my first kid Razzpootin. I guess Chit Chat says it's not okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, wmshub, are you still feeling okay after eating that yogurt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the Human Chit Chat Time Capsule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Christmas now! Shortest four days ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, BaSL, I really loved the Rift War Saga as a teenager, but it really has lost a lot of luster since then. I still think Magician is really good and I would recommend finishing the first trilogy, but it's downhill from there. Also, Feist is pretty pervy (not as bad as Piers Anthony, but close), which I loved as a teenager but is less appealing to me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Hey, tickmanfan, sorry to hear you're sick! Hope you're feeling better!

I am. Welcome back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to add here, but do need to say "you whore."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding: "release the kraken." Even though I don't always say it aloud, I frequently think about the potential for great "That's what she said" moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Diis, it reminds me of one of my friends who has lived a bunch of places. Of all the places he's lived, he said that race relations were best in the Deep South because, well, people openly talk about race in the Deep South. I grew up in New Jersey and was always taught that racism was "a thing of the past." People who don't think they need to talk about race are probably the ones who need it the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, nycavri, for NYE I am actually thinking of bringing a bottle of Veuve Clicquot that my brother regifted to me since he doesn't drink. Seems appropriate.

(But I'm also going to make a bold prediction and say that I will forget the bottle, forcing about a dozen people at the party to share one bottle of champagne for NYE. Then, I also predict that I'll finish said bottle of Veuve Clicquot during a rather lackluster book club discussion of Norwegian Wood as I'll be the only one who seems to like the book.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, KSensei, reading your memory loss thread made me forget what year it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so now instead of being productive, I'm thinking about Felicia Day. This happens more often than I would care to admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we really need another thread about how non-Americans don't get American football? I say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Mulligans, I'll take that beer now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Condoms aren't family friendly. In fact, they actively prevent your family from getting bigger. Still, the prequels would have been better if Anakin had used a condom and the force still helped him conceive. Probably not what Lucas had in mind, but that's how I'm watching the movies from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that even with their injuries, there's no way the Steelers will lose to the Broncos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Leezer, I'm not going to convince you not to get a gun, but I'm curious what neighborhood you live in. I lived in Indianapolis for years, and I don't recall feeling unsafe in any of the suburbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "I'm Worried About my Grade." So, when I was in graduate school, I used to teach creative writing, especially poetry. I made a pact with my students that as long as they did all the work and turned everything in on time, they would get a B. To get an A, I would have to actually think their poems were good and they would have to show growth as a writer while in my class.

The students who were most worried about their grades were often the ones who got a B and nothing more. The slackers actually tended to do better. Often, when asked what I was looking for in a poetry assignment, I would tell them to "surprise me." A lot of the creatively-minded students found this refreshing and took the opportunity to experiment and come up with interesting poems. The students who were taking the class because they thought it would be an easy grade or wanted to fulfill some diversity requirement were in for a shock.

Also, I never used Powerpoints either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. $38
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. $38

You sure you didn't mean $39?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, I've worked with some weird people. So, what I do for a living is I'm a Contract Attorney - law firms hire me to do low-level legal work for major cases. Basically, I'm a legal temp. So I work alongside other Contract Attorneys - sometimes only a handful, but sometimes dozens of them. So all of these people are attorneys and are doing the worst job imaginable while still being an attorney. They do it because they're either apathetic, unlucky or incompetent. (I fall into the first category, if you're wondering.)

The best story I have is about a guy who used to sit next to me. This dude was easily 400 pounds and didn't even live in the area - he'd just go wherever he could find work and so he crashed on some guy's couch. I'm not sure if he showered. He also worked a lot of hours - we're paid hourly, so he would easily put in 75+ hours a week. Meanwhile, I only put in about 50-55 hours a week and did more work than he did. But working all those hours and sleeping on some guy's couch had a detrimental effect on his hygiene and sleep schedule. He frequently napped at his desk. At first, he used to ask me to poke him if he was asleep so that he wouldn't get in trouble. After a couple days, he decided the poking was bothering him and told me to just let him sleep.

Early on in the project, he asked if I was a gamer. I mentioned some board games and RPGs and he looked dumbfounded. I then mentioned a few popular video games - like Civilization and Dragon Age, and he still was wondering. What he meant was Facebook games. Pretty much all he did all day was play some stupid Vampire game on Facebook.

His common sense was really questionable. He referred to the Chinese buffet near work as "Mr. Wong's" because he couldn't remember its name (which isn't even close to its real name). He also frequently made comments (since he loved the place) that "those Asians really know how to run restaurants." When I suggested that what he said might be construed as racist, it didn't even slightly register with him. He knew I was diabetic, and one time proceeded to eat a candy bar in front of me and said, "It's too bad you're diabetic. This is really good!"

All these things added up and I couldn't take sitting next to him any more. An important point in this story is that we sat close enough to each other to see each other's computer screens. A good friend of mine sat elsewhere in the room and I would frequently e-mail her about the crazy crap that he used to pull which, I admit, was probably not the right thing to do, but it happened.

One day he decided to start reading the e-mails I was sending while I was typing them. Seeing that I was writing about him, he then starting screaming and threatened to kill me.

Yeah, he got fired after that. I'm frequently at different law firms and working with different groups of people. Fortunately, I haven't seen him since then. No clue what I'd do if I saw him again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.