Jeremy Dietz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been very excited to get this game since I first read about it last Spring('11). My search began earlier that year to find some awesome two player games to play with my fiancee(then wife) at that time. We'd discovered cribbage to be a very fun, but light, and I could not get her interested in Go. Google led me to a "geek list" titled "Best With Two". Thus I discovered Board Game Geek!

One of the games near the top of this list was War of the Ring. The more I read about it the more excited I became. Both of us are Lord of the Rings fans, and she used to play Risk when she was younger. I quickly read the online rules and fell even more in love. I simply love well designed rule systems, it jives with my Software Engineer brain. The way the game was designed to really allow you to simulate the world of Tolkien was just awe inspiring.

Then the disappointment, War of the Ring has been out of print for a while. :-(

I kept reading the forums, and investigating other games, but was prepared to give up on owning this amazing looking game.

Then whispers came of the possibility of a reprint, a new edition! But then that whole wedding thing and subsequent expenses popped up, and my budget for buying games dried up. So I waited patiently..

...but not too patiently...

I read of other people getting their copies, pre orders received. Maybe on Christmas I would get mine?

No, I did however get Dixit Odyssey and played with my family that night.

Finally in January the time came. My Christmas bonus paid off the last of my wedding debt, my board game budget was restored!

I stopped by the local game store, and there it was on the shelf! I quickly grabbed it, and picked up 7 Wonders just for fun.

It wasn't until later that night that I got home, and was finally able to open the box. Opening the box, and pulling out the game board, I was struck by two sensations. The smell of the newly printed manual and player aides, and the nice heavy weight and thickness of the game board. I love that fresh printed smell.

I laid the board out, and marveled at the sheer size. Our usual game table was just barely big enough to hold the entire board. I was struck on how unique but fitting the look of the figures were. I've visualized all the characters based on the movie for so long, it was refreshing to see new(to me) interpretations.

I spent an hour and a half sorting the figures and setting up the board for a game. I played around with some of the mechanics of the turns, army movement, fellowship progress and the hunt for the ring. The game mechanics and rules were already beginning to look simpler to me. I loved the look of the board with al the figures laid out, ready to go to war!

Sadly that night was not going to be our first game, I was simply fawning over the contents and beauty of the game.

I can't wait for our first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night and it was fantastic. The investment of time, both reading the rules prior to playing and then fumbling through the first few turns, was well worth it as the game drips with theme. Cannot wait to get it to the (barely adequate) table again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Don't forget to take a bath with your figures before you send them into action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I enjoyed reading your write up. It reminds me that having to wait or save for something very often really improves your enjoyment, overall satisfaction and appreciation when you are able to get it!

Regards,
Nige
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy for Christmas as well and I'm up to four plays as well, maybe I can squeeze in one more tomorrow night depending what folks want to play... There's a lot of games that need to get on the table sometime since everyone has new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still trying to convince my girlfriend to play.

She plays a lot of games, but is not into war games or fantasy themes so this one has been rough. I hope to get a game in soon though. I also bought it just after Christmas.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.