Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got San Juan, and I'm thinking of trading/upgrading to EmDo. Which is more complex? Which has more depth? Which feels more like a real "gaming" experience? San Juan is good, but it seems a bit empty to me. With Race for the Galaxy, the addition of the consume action created what felt like a "full" experience. Does EmDo lack that full experience? Or does it feel complete?
Thanks for helping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is definitely more a brain-burner than SJ, and is a more satisfying game experience. I think RftG still has more replay value than ED, but ED has a lot of depth and is great fun. It manages to capture the settle-produce-consume mechanic of Race and combine it with the deck building mechanic of Domain very well. Throw in role choosing from Glory to Rome and you have a good idea of the general mechanics of the game. But playing it well is definitely not straightforward. Give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was wanting to either get Core Worlds or EmDo. I liked core worlds abilities and upgrades and special actions, but I was missing a role selection mechanic, which I love. The problem with EmDo is that the cards and the planets seem plain and the theme seems weak, compared to Core Worlds. Do you feel that when playing EmDo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
SJ and EmDo are very different games. They share a role selection element, but at its heart Emdo is a light deck-building game that feels like a race. There aren't that many strategic options (i.e., not alot of strategic depth)....it leans to the tactical side of play versus strategic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain blows all other deck builders out of the water including role selection games like San Juan. San Juan is a good game, but it gets "samey" after a while. You would think this would be the case with Eminent Domain but it isn't.

Eminent Domain somehow manages to provide a very fulfilling gaming experience even though you are going through the same 5 roles, drawing from the same 5 piles, and acquiring tech cards from the same 3 decks.

It is incredibly replayable and certainly feels complete. We love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.