Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished another game of this. It gets better and better. I can't believe how much you get out of this for the time, component and rules investment. There are other good tactical games, but this one gets at the fun with the least overhead.

Anyhow, one question:

I assume you can shoot into a Hex where a Melee will happen and that your fire results will impact both units in the hex? For example, if a good ordered US unit moves into a hex to melee with a fully suppressed German unit, could another German unit shoot into the hex to attempt to reduce the American unit so it will be eliminated in the rout phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
Just finished another game of this. It gets better and better. I can't believe how much you get out of this for the time, component and rules investment. There are other good tactical games, but this one gets at the fun with the least overhead.

Anyhow, one question:

I assume you can shoot into a Hex where a Melee will happen and that your fire results will impact both units in the hex? For example, if a good ordered US unit moves into a hex to melee with a fully suppressed German unit, could another German unit shoot into the hex to attempt to reduce the American unit so it will be eliminated in the rout phase?

Actually I would say no you cannot shoot into the Melee hex. The rules have a statement prohibiting shooting into a hex containing a friendly unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right. You can shoot through, but not into, a hex with a friendly unit. Good point. I am glad it is this way, otherwise could get a bit gamey in Melee. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
However you can drop Artillery onto a hex occupied by a friendly unit.

I believe Jim also intends to modify the rule to allow fire against an enemy infantry unit in the same hex as a friendly Vehicle (so the Close Assault rule about surviving all fire in that hex makes sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
However you can drop Artillery onto a hex occupied by a friendly unit.

I believe Jim also intends to modify the rule to allow fire against an enemy infantry unit in the same hex as a friendly Vehicle (so the Close Assault rule about surviving all fire in that hex makes sense).

My 14 year old did this in an attempt to shatter my forces nearby the melee. He succeeded in that, but actually failed to affect the melee going on. I hate artillery. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
beresford wrote:

I thought I saw a rule stating that you can fire a gun at either the infantry or the gun/vehicle in a hex (but infantry fire into a hex can't discriminate in that way). I'd think that infantry would be able to discriminate, however....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought I saw a rule stating that you can fire a gun at either the infantry or the gun/vehicle in a hex

That rule refers to firing into a hex occupied by an enemy Vehicle and enemy infantry.

If the hex was occupied by an enemy Gun AND enemy infantry, incoming fire would affect all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.