Subject: Where to go from here rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magician ..
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im fairly new to board gaming and ive picked up a few games over the last couple of months

Game of thrones
Mansion Of Madness
Strike of the Eagle
Power Grid

I enjoyed all of these however Im looking to bulk out my collection a little bit more with a good entry war game and a good heavy economic game that has lots of interaction ideally 3-5 or 3-6 players and the ability block and sabotage the other players.

For the war game I was thinking about "Combat Commander: Europe" as the mechanics seem straight forward and has a relatively short play time, while ideally im looking for a pure luckless game im willing to over look the card mechanic in this as it is my first hex war game.

As for the economic game I have been thinking about "Imperial" but not quite sure if it fills the requirement of a good economic game as you seem to be only able to buy bonds which you cant sell, also have been looking at "Indonesia" which seems to have an interesting economic side with some good interaction but im not sure how much your actions influence how well other players do.

Sorry for the long winded post but any pointers will be gratefully received

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indoensia is a very good game, but it is not for everyone. It is heavily economic, but I feel it shines with the Mergers and Shipping phases. It takes 2 hours to play for veterans, so expect a good 3 hours for a first game. Every decision you make in this game will affect the game considerably.

Imperial is a stock game, very little war involved. Navegator has been getting praise, but I haven't played it to know what it is like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you're off to a good start!

I've never played Combat Commander, but if you're looking for luckless, wargames might not be your cup of tea. Almost all of them use dice or cards to simulate random battlefield factors. Conflict of Heroes is another entry level game you might check out.

As for your economic game choice, Imperial and Indonesia are exactly what you are looking for. Don't worry that you can't sell bonds in Imperial; the savvy and cutthroat investor is who will come on top, not the tactically oriented general. Of the two, however, I prefer Indonesia. The merger mechanic really shines through, adding interactivity and a certain nastiness to the economic engine. Your companies are never safe from a buyout, so balancing your investment in board position with cash liquidity is always a tightrope. I highly recommend it; it's my favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy 1830, Indonesia would likely work well for you. There are some similarities between the two - board play that can affect other peoples' companies, ways to manipulate ownership of comapnies, etc. But it is a quite different game.

(Is this the first time someone has picked up 1830 and THEN asked for a heavy economic game? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Wealth of Nations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magician ..
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the input I think from what I've seen and heard here that Indonesia is going to be the way to go, while I really like the look of Imperial the slightly increased game time of Indonesia tips it in favour even though its about €30 more expensive. I think Imperial will be making it way into my collection though in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.