Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first full game tonight.

When a monster is revealed and makes a surprise battle, does this count as a battle action for all rules

If so, then I assume abilities like Vargagg's Fury can trigger from it.
In addition, the Slime's Acidic ability would apply.

However, what happens with the War Altar, where Heroes can only make battle actions against it when assisted. In this case, as it is a surprise attack against one hero then the War Altar cannot be harmed

Is this correct ?

I did find a post on a session report that implied this is correct.

However, what then confuses me is Mrs Bistros answer on the Gore Attack of Birodin
Quote:
Correct, Gore would not work in the case of a surprise action. Gore is a late-game ability, best used when the summoner is dumping monsters all over the dungeon. Much like Paelleall's Far Shot, it's only useful in certain situations.

The card refers to a move action followed by a Battle action. If the surprise Battle is a "Battle Action" then the wording on the card matches, even if this is not the intention.

I hope I've explained this clearly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to answer your war alter question, ignoring the other bits (because I'm tired and my head is hurting, and I do know the answer to the first question, even though it may or may not contradict the second part you're talking about).

That War Alter is basically going to get a free attack, because you have no one there to assist you while it's doing that free attack from being revealed. The War Altar is a real jerk.

To answer your more general question, yes, that suprise attack is a battle action, so rules affecting battle actions do apply.

(hoping Mr. Bistro doesn't come on here and prove me wrong)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

I assume the Traitor Knight is the same (assisted battles only)
Your answer feels right and would work if surprise attack is a battle action

It is only the Gore Attack example that now, to me, is at question

edited to avoid confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Santi
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mb

To answer the first question, A surprise battle action does not count As 1 of your 2 actions.

Also, Vargaag can use fury even on surprise battle actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
To answer the first question, A surprise battle action does not count As 1 of your 2 actions.

Agreed . This is clearly stated in the rules and not an issue

Quote:
Also, Vargaag can use fury even on surprise battle actions.

However, if Vargaag can, when it just states "battle action" on his card, why does it not apply to the Gore attack which also refers to "battle action" and was ruled that it doesn't.
Is Gore attack the only special case ?

I would prefer it to be both or neither, then the terminolgy is consistent but it would be great if Mr Bistro would clarify this

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Emma's card the word initiate is used, which makes it totally clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding and the way we've been playing it that the "surprise attack" is not a "battle action". Battle action is an action chosen by the hero as one of their 2 actions and not the surprise attack from a creature that jumps out at you from the darkness of a new dungeon room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with that definition is that, if it is not a "battle Action" then you can kill the War Altar witha single hero (ie unassisted) when it 'surprises you'

ie "you can only make battle actions against this War Altar when assisted."

This doesn't seem correct to me (although that is what we assumed at first!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.