Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been out for a several months already, but despite the large following of the base game and all the talk before the release, there is virtually no information about it. There are no good component pictures of what is included, and there are 0 reviews unless you count Tom's expansions overview video.

Now I know this is not as big of a deal as the first expansion, but there is virtually nothing happening with this expansion on the forum. It is as though it came out and everything just went silent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats cuz its not that good....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
Thats cuz its not that good....

Even bad games have reviews. But besides that, the little snippets of info I have found here and there don't imply that it is not very good. Perhaps you could shed some light on the issue with a more complete review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard,

I live in Farmington Hills, maybe we can get together for a game sometime. I bought TI and Shattered Empires about eight months ago, and added Shards as soon as it came out. I think I've played about 15 games with friends so far, having a great time with it. The whole thing is one of my favorite games.

As far as a review...

We play with mech units all the time (love them, they give you an option when you don't have much carrying capacity and lots of money to spend on troops, or else when someone else has a lot of troops)

We love the final frontiers counters (great fun, something to do in those empty spaces - even if you don't play with distant suns (we play with territorial distant suns about 3/4 of the time, unless we are really pressed for time, but final frontiers always).

We find the representatives entertaining, and usually play with them. Their side effects are sometimes more interesting than the law being voted-on. Also the promissary notes do get exchanged a fair amount of the time.

We LOVE the flagships. Something big to build when you don't have war sun tech, plus they have interesting unique abilities, and they just look so dang cool :-)

We LOVE the mercenaries. By using Trade III, they always come into play, and they add more unique and interesting features. I guess my group doesn't mind having all sorts of things to remember (we always play with leaders also, which are fiddly, unless we have new players and are trying to simplify the game).

Assembly II gets taken less for the voting than for the ability to become speaker so one can get the bureaucracy card or the Imperial II card (depending on which we are playing with).

Several folks in the group don't like the preliminaries because some are much harder than others, and they'd rather know their secret objective earlier so they can work towards it. I like them but I'm in the minority in our group. I do think a few of the harder ones should be pulled and not used.

The new races are cool. We haven't happened to play the ghosts much yet, but the Nekro Virus and the Arborec have seen a lot of play. The Nekro are definitely fun to play.

We have not played the Lazax scenario yet. Maybe we'll try it sometime, but so far we've been having so much fun with the regular game and haven't wanted to learn extra rules for what might only get played once. I guess it might have replay value, guess we'll have to try it sometime when I take the time to read the rules and explain them to everyone :-)

I don't recall if there are any other features I'm forgetting, but for me, the expansion was well worth the money and added a lot to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to watch Tom Vasel's video. He covers both expansions in it.

I haven't played this but from a friend who plays it quite often he loved the added political options and always plays with that.

Edit: Apparently, I missed where you mentioned it in the OP. I'll keep my comments up anyway. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
This game has been out for a several months already, but despite the large following of the base game and all the talk before the release, there is virtually no information about it. There are no good component pictures of what is included, and there are 0 reviews unless you count Tom's expansions overview video.

Now I know this is not as big of a deal as the first expansion, but there is virtually nothing happening with this expansion on the forum. It is as though it came out and everything just went silent.

I actually had LOTS AND LOTS of photos up when I first bought the game, but FFG asked the admin to tear them down.

They can still be seen in this thread though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/656576/pics-are-up-from-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.