Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever organized a math trade at a convention with a limited time frame, such as 1 hour?

I'm organizing the regular no-ship math trade for the local convention here, SaltCon. I've done this for a few years, and it's been great, but this year I started thinking that maybe it would be fun to have a 1-hour math trade at the convention. Something where everyone had a 1/2 hour to insert their games, 1/2 hour to create want lists, and then I would compile all the data and run it through the trade maximizer. Something like that, anyway.

I've got the logistics mostly worked out, I was just wondering if anyone else had done something like this, and if they recommended any specific way to organize it, or to collect and manage all the want lists, etc.

Also, if you have any thoughts on why this would be a ridiculous idea, I'd like to here those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
never heard of it being done

question I have is what are folks going to be trading? games they brought for hopes of math trading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last couple years there have been games overflowing on the trade table. Last year especially at SaltCon, there was a lot of trading going on.

So I thought, if they all have games there anyway, why not organize the trading a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
The last couple years there have been games overflowing on the trade table. Last year especially at SaltCon, there was a lot of trading going on.

So I thought, if they all have games there anyway, why not organize the trading a little?

I'm not familiar with this concept (folks bringing/displaying games to trade directly with others?)... usually at cons if folks are bringing games they are either to play (and allow others to play) or they are selling.

is selling not allowed? it's essentially a math trading system if they do, folks can out right sell a game, use the money to then buy a game from someone else, who can go buy a game from someone else, etc

in any case you'd have to have all games for trade in the same place, you'd have to assign a lot/item name and/or number to each one, and then folks would have to provide you with their want lists as you indicated. since most folks are unlikely to be familiar with trademax and syntax you'll have to provide a way for them to tell you if they want duplicate protection for some things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If folks really are bringing games they want to trade, it might make sense.

The main downside I can think of is that it wouldn't allow dynamic re-bundling of games to get ideal matches. Not until the OLWLG and TradeMax solve the tough problem of allowing one-for-many and many-for-many combinations in the want lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not organize the Math Trade prior to the event and just have a meet-up to do the exchange. It's something we do regularly up here in WI.

The thing which would hinder this is that it would take more than an hour out of time at a con where people go to prioritize playing games. The 1/2 hour, 1/2 hour idea is novel, but almost impossible to pull off in that short of time frame. You'd need uber-dedicated folks who could hyper-focus for that time span. And the exchange thereafter would likely take 1/2 hour or more. That's a lot of time for folks to set aside.

I run auctions at local cons and people don't tend to even want to come and pay for their items or pick up the proceeds of the items they sold. They're bothered by having to stop gaming to even do that, so I don't know how many people would be excited about doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Why not organize the Math Trade prior to the event and just have a meet-up to do the exchange. It's something we do regularly up here in WI.

That's done at a lot of conventions, and it seems like the only reasonable way to do a Math Trade. In order for everyone to get their lots listed, review everyone else's, submit their wants, then get the trade run, distribute results, and make the trades, you're going to take up a lot of time that could be spent gaming! (More than an hour, I'm sure!)

OTOH, setting aside an hour and a room/corner/table/etc. (depending on the size of the con/space available) for people to bring games to meet up & try to negotiate trades on the spot might be an interesting experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I run auctions at local cons and people don't tend to even want to come and pay for their items or pick up the proceeds of the items they sold. They're bothered by having to stop gaming to even do that, so I don't know how many people would be excited about doing this.

This is a good point. Especially since I've been wondering if even I want to take time away from gaming to organize the thing.

iklinck wrote:
diehard4life wrote:

That's done at a lot of conventions, and it seems like the only reasonable way to do a Math Trade.

Yes, I am organizing a standard no-ship math trade that will have a couple weeks for everyone to participate. I've done that for the last couple years, and it's always good.

I was just thinking about an additional event, and if I could keep the time frame short through good organization, then it wouldn't take too much time away from gaming, and could get some better trades done at the convention.

Honestly, my biggest worry is a lack of interest, because a math trade doesn't work very well if only a few people participate. That is also why the "time away from gaming" is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:

OTOH, setting aside an hour and a room/corner/table/etc. (depending on the size of the con/space available) for people to bring games to meet up & try to negotiate trades on the spot might be an interesting experiment.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.

Maybe a timed game swap 30 minutes of a NYSE style haggling would be a fun event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.