Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they play nothing alike so it is hard to compare. I personally love the LCG and detest the board game but mechanics wise I can't think of any comparisons between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hisdudelyness wrote:
A friend is looking to purchase one of these as he is a fan of the TV show (yet I can't get him to read the books). He is trying to figure out which would be better though, the Card game or the board game. I'm sure they both have pros and cons and it is really a matter of opinion, but having never played either, I was hoping to get the thoughts of the masses.

Anyone?

I had the same feeling and then decided upon the LCG, over the Board Game.
The living card game is a 2 player game (but
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote some solo rules), the board game is 3players, and is quite heavy.
The LCG is simple enough, as far as rules go, even though learning to master the deck is totally a different thing.

In the end I chose the LCG, and I don't regret it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in your friend's shoes (although I am on the second book now). I have never played the board game but when I saw the 3-hour play time I knew it wasn't for me. I got the card game and enjoy it although I've only gotten the chance to play twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have played both while I enjoyed the board game (probably more out of novelty rather than fun game). I like the lcg better. The Mechanics are fun and I prefer board games in general that are less than a hour and a half. That way if you stink it up you can play another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hunt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both. I love the LCG as that was my first purchase. I just recently (Christmas) got the board game. It looks like it will be a lot of fun, but they are pretty different. If your friend likes more traditional board games (think: Risk) then the board game might be a better choice. If your friend likes card games (think: Magic) then the LCG might be the better choice. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

They are both complex and rules heavy games, so just keep that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba Poślednik
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mb
I own LCG, but played boardgame a few times. Sasquatch gives a good description of both games in the post above.
There is one thing to remember (two actually) - LCG will flourish if you have some other people around who play it too, for boardgame you need min. 3 players but more the better (and harder).
Generally the boardgame always gives me chills as I look at the board in fear of being attacked, backstabbed or my plan firing back in my face - this is the kind of game AGOT is: ultra-competitive.

One complaint as for model of the game is this: we had players leave the table - due to having their forces obliterated on the board but also during very emotional session (accusations and tantrums were thrown). So if your friend or people who you play with cannot distance themselves from the board I would advise buying LCG, it is lighter on the nerves no doubt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the board game more myself, and my wife really likes the board game too. With the groups that we've played these two games with, we've found the board game to be the more easily learned and played, while the card game took us quite a long time to get a feel for (actually, still getting a feel for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
The board game has only two expansions whereas the LCG has 6 large expansions up to now and tons of small pack expansions (if cost is an issue to you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Own both. Like both. Play the LCG way more because it can be played in an hour or less. It works great with 2,3,4.

The board game is really 5 or 6 players only. The 3 and 4 player games (assuming the second edition of the game) are not as well balanced. It also takes hours... 3-4 hours is common.

So it depends on what your friend wants. A semi quick game for 2-4 players or a long game for 5-6 players. As they are nothing alike I think both games can easily be in a collection and see play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:
Own both. Like both. Play the LCG way more because it can be played in an hour or less. It works great with 2,3,4.

The board game is really 5 or 6 players only. The 3 and 4 player games (assuming the second edition of the game) are not as well balanced. It also takes hours... 3-4 hours is common.

So it depends on what your friend wants. A semi quick game for 2-4 players or a long game for 5-6 players. As they are nothing alike I think both games can easily be in a collection and see play.

What I like best about the LCG is that it can be played joust (PvP), or melee (4 players).
Especially the 4 player game, it has everything you'd want from a Game of Thrones game: intrigue, battles, roles, serach for power.
The fact that each house acts very much according to what the books write (or the TV show, for that matter), even being a customizable game, makes the game VERY good.

It is not always balanced, as some houses are stronger than others, especially the pre-set decks, in the core set, but it is fun, fast, and depitches G.RR.Martin's world very nicely (I'm not saying the Boardgame doesn't...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The board game is a war game. It is really best with 4-5 players and it takes several hours to play. There is also a high degree of chaos. It's a dice-chucker with some card play with plenty of room for alliances and betrayal. The new edition is also quite beautiful.

The card game plays well in my experience with 2, 3, 4, and 5. It takes an hour or less to play based on player count and has a larger game space, mild learning curve, and much larger reward for time and patience invested in the system.

If it isn't obvious already, I prefer the LCG for so many reasons, the most basic of which is that the system is always expanding and evolving. I think it carries the essence of what A Song of Ice and Fire is much better than the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
The card game plays well in my experience with 2, 3, 4, and 5. It takes an hour or less to play based on player count and has a larger game space, mild learning curve, and much larger reward for time and patience invested in the system.

I wish someone would do a good video of game play for the card game. We found it to have a high learning curve and very long play time. In fact after several attempts, we still have yet to finish a game. We liked it, realizing that the game flow and card interactions haven't clicked for us yet.

Meanwhile, we picked up the play of the (2nd Edition) board game in our first attempt (with the expected discussions of "I should have..." once the game was over).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a really good overview over booth games
listen/see the guys from the Spiel Podcast, they made an entire Episode covering booth of the Games!
I personally love the Boardgame, its captures the "in your face" - intrigues from the book very well!
I own the LCG too but it's harder to get to the table, because you really need others who are into it and collect it otherwise the deckbuilding (which is most of the fun in the LCG) doesn't make sense in my opinion this beeing said, just the core games is fine too!

Here the Link

http://thespiel.net/?q=node/645

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IS AS

(X) AGRICOLA IS TO BOHNANZA

Did I get it right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hunt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
It's a dice-chucker with some card play with plenty of room for alliances and betrayal. The new edition is also quite beautiful.

Quick clarification - no dice in the 2nd Ed. of the board game. I never played the first edition, so I can't speak on that. Strength is based on armies/units, generals and how you order your armies about the map. It is primarily strategy as there is no random component involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games, 'though i think the board game is a bit better, especially if played with a storm of swords westros and house cards, and ports from clash of kings (available in the files section) The board game is more tense, even stressful, blood on the table, and for a thematic stratagy battle game is in my opinion unsurpassed.
The card game is great (I'd recomend 2 core sets and greyjoy and martel expansions) The small councel titles reduce the stress factor of the game compared to the board game, and the diversity of the cards gives an rpg depth feeling to playing the different houses. Either choice you can't go wrong. Have a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Sasquatchcc wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
It's a dice-chucker with some card play with plenty of room for alliances and betrayal. The new edition is also quite beautiful.
Quick clarification - no dice in the 2nd Ed. of the board game. I never played the first edition, so I can't speak on that. Strength is based on armies/units, generals and how you order your armies about the map.
No dice in either version. In fact, the cards each player has are open information during the game so it's very possible to determine your chances to win a fight before committing. Unfortunately that can lead to players spending a lot of time adding up army strengths and card effects in their heads and taking a while to complete turns. The last game I played (with six people) went on for just over 6 hours. Still, it's pretty fun if you're OK with the time investment.
Quote:
It is primarily strategy as there is no random component involved.

There is a random component if you decide to use the optional Tides of War deck in your battles but I haven't used those yet. Otherwise, agreed. It's a good strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hunt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
There is a random component if you decide to use the optional Tides of War deck in your battles but I haven't used those yet. Otherwise, agreed. It's a good strategy game.

Ah good catch! I forgot about those as I haven't used them in a game yet seeing as they are optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Kenig
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and like both, but I believe the LCG captures the atmosphere of the show better. The Board game is an excelent strategy game but the houses plays essentialy the same and its a war game with little influence and difference between the characters. I believe A Song of Ice and Fire is more about characters than war. For this I believe the LCG is better, its really what the show is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are totally different. There's no reason to not buy both games, and Battles of Westeros to boot. All of them are fine games that I'd be happy to play.

Having said that...

The LCG is good because you can play a real game with anywhere from 2 to 6 players, and there's deckbuilding and more complex cardplay elements (if you like that kind of thing). Downside is, if you do like that kind of thing, you could easily spend $200 on (just for example) two Core Sets and the spread of faction starters. And then another $200 for chapter packs later on. Such is the way of LCGs.

The boardgame is good because you get more boardgame-y elements like bidding and blind orders and troop movement, all of which tie together into a coherent whole. Also you can get the entire thing in a single, complete box. On the downside, the boardgame is unplayable with 2 or 3, and (possibly) needs house-rules to fix 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.