flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some forums that may be of interest to you:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I'm looking forward to popping Skyrim in myself. I still have unfinished business in Oblivion so I'm actually playing that right now because I know I'll likely not want to go back once I've stepped foot in the great white north.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so close to beating that game - stupid school getting in the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyrim is awesome! It's truly breathtaking at times and I'm enjoying every minute. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
I love my computer. About to start minute one of a dozens of hours experience

I build a new computer the week it came out. It looks fantastic on ultra high settings. I got over 120 hours logged in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
riddlen wrote:
I love my computer. About to start minute one of a dozens of hours experience

I build a new computer the week it came out. It looks fantastic on ultra high settings. I got over 120 hours logged in the game.

Ah, it is a setting. I thought that we were talking about something else entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why Bethesda just keeps remaking the same game over and over again. While it's far better than Oblivion was, there are so many things that make so little sense.

I think that an RPG should feel a bit like Through The Desert. every option you take is many others that you leave behind. However, in Skyrim, you can be, at the same time:

-Head of a college of magic (without having cast more than 3 or 4 spells ever)
-Lead the thieves guild (After ONE successful pickpocket in your entire career)
-Head a brotherhood of assassins (at least you have to kill people to get there)
-Command a pack of werewolf fighters while transforming into a werewolf once in your life.

All while you are still the hero that defeats the dragons. I do all of that, and I still feel that I made no difference to the world around me, because there are very few real consequences on the world to most of those actions.

I would like Bethesda games to, at some point, have actual characters, without all that third person shooter plan that Bioware follows nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I wonder why Bethesda just keeps remaking the same game over and over again. While it's far better than Oblivion was, there are so many things that make so little sense.

I think that an RPG should feel a bit like Through The Desert. every option you take is many others that you leave behind. However, in Skyrim, you can be, at the same time:

-Head of a college of magic (without having cast more than 3 or 4 spells ever)
-Lead the thieves guild (After ONE successful pickpocket in your entire career)
-Head a brotherhood of assassins (at least you have to kill people to get there)
-Command a pack of werewolf fighters while transforming into a werewolf once in your life.

All while you are still the hero that defeats the dragons. I do all of that, and I still feel that I made no difference to the world around me, because there are very few real consequences on the world to most of those actions.

I would like Bethesda games to, at some point, have actual characters, without all that third person shooter plan that Bioware follows nowadays.

I couldn't agree more. Good vs. Evil is an afterthought. The vast majority of actions have no consequences.

I remember games like Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum that got it right. If you were evil, the good NPCs would just kill you on the spot and visa versa. Gender mattered. Race mattered. Stats mattered. Dialoge choices mattered. Age Mattered. Who you were and what you did shaped the world into a dozen or more different endings that were as different as night and day. It was like... you know... as if you were ROLE PLAYING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I completely agree with Jorge -- I have exactly that experience. I don't use magic yet I am the archmage who heads the mages' guild. I steal everything there is but don't donate anything to the thieves' guild, yet I am its head. I am a werewolf but do not like it and never turn into a wolf, yet I am their leader (funnily, whenever I travel with the most fanatical werewolf around, she doesn't turn into a werewolf either). I fight everything with a bow, even when my opponent is hacking at me with a sword. I send dragons spiraling down by shooting ONE (just ONE) arrow into them, yet people are afraid of these flying lizards.

Still, I admit that I have some fun playing the game. Mainly through exploration and killing enemies with lots of funny tricks. And putting kettles on people's heads before robbing them blind.

One warning, though: Skyrim on the PC is buggy as hell. And I do not mean that it crashes quite a lot -- actually, it runs pretty stable. However, there are many ways to get the game into a state where you are stuck. There is even a bug that brings the main quest to a grinding halt without the ability to restart it again. And that is a bug that 90% of the players will run into. Also, putting Skyrim on Ultra-High will NOT make it look good on a PC. You have to tweak the INI-files a lot. Prepare to spend a couple of hours searching the net and testing out all kinds of tweaks, until it becomes an acceptable balance between speed and aesthetics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you keeping score at home, that's 4:3, Hate over Love, with one abstaining and one....well,...abstaining isn't the right word for him.

Tune in for the exciting second half!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to get this feeling - Skyrim: Another day, another dragon. Or dungeon or draugr.

Got this on Christmas night. I'm embarrassed by the number of hours I have in it. If I had spent that amount of time practicing guitar I could be another...

Adrian Legg
Tuck Andress
Eddie van Halen

...at the same time.

That said, I can probably hit level 26 when I come home for lunch.

BTW, I'm a female Level 25 Bretonian Mage. Whenever I have a choice, I usually play games like this, Fall Out 3, Dead Island etc as an opposite of me type. That is, an overly aggressive, darker skinned, blue eyed (if possible) female. I do prefer ranged combat over melee though. Must be my gun loving true nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.