Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
We played again tonight, 5 strong.

Started with the family rules, since I do think this is an excellent way of getting players into the game. We usually have about 3 hours, maybe 2 and a bit, on a Monday night, so I was hopeful that we'd manage a family game + an experienced one.

Family game was a doddle. With 5, with access to all the doors, and with a pretty kind set of dice that rarely exploded anything, we achieved not just a win but my first 10-rescue game. Nice.

Then on to the experienced game. We decided to start on recruit, since at face value the changes looked pretty tough and we wanted a chance to win.

In the event, we had no trouble.

We all enjoyed it - but the complaint from my better half was that both games tonight were too easy.

I can see that, but I think we had an exceptional game.

Our initial explosions/hazmats/hotspots were well spread out.

Our rolls through 5 or 6 turns of 5 people (= 25 - 30 rolls) for fire advance resulted in only 2 or 3 explosions, and all of them were in different places, so that even halfway through the game, we never looked to be in serious difficulty in terms of the building collapsing. We even knocked a wall down (we played the "back" side of the board) to give us access to the place, which as a rule I'd now be reluctant to do, on the "main" board.

We also had only 2 (maybe 3) fire advances land on hotspots, so the flare up rules were not whacking us. Just checking: the hot spot flare up happens, as I read the rules, only when the actual target of the fire advance roll is a hot spot; and not when the effect of an explosion or flash over is to hit a square with a hotspot? That is how we played, and I'm pretty sure we're right. Possible house rule - any hotspot turned into fire by an explosion = another advance fire roll?

We also - more by luck than management I suspect - nailed the co-op necessaries. Our imager in her first 2 turns turned over 4/5 false alarms - so was able to change job on turn 3.

I - as hazmat man - took all 3 out and only the 3rd was any real challenge in terms of searching through the house.

Our driver was able to put out multiple fires, from the deck gun - to the point I wonder if we played this right. I will keep checking, but I am 90% sure we did it ok.

Our medic healed and then ran on to heal again.

These guys do work really well together. We also had learned that you need to put fires out, not just rescue folk, to make it work,

Anyway: we managed 9 rescued, 1 dead, and were disappointed at the 1!

We should've played Vet/Heroic - but I'm glad we started on Recruit, since I do think I now have a group addicted to trying this again - result!

Promise to try post the battering we'll get, when we move up the difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've played a few times, and while I've certainly had my easy victories at recruit, I've also been stomped on pretty hard. One of our first recruit level games we only managed 2 or 3 rescuees before the building collapsed. Every roll hit either a hot spot (bad), an explosion (worse), or a victim (worst, especially when it happened right before we got to them). All 3 hazmats were blown up after 8 dice rolls. The house came down on turn 3 or 4, with 4 players. On a subsequent try, the dice were a lot milder, and we managed to get everyone to safety.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't measure the difficulty by one play. Play a few (it's not like a game takes that long), and if you keep winning, move on. The challenge is pretty variable in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair comment. I do think we had a long streak of favourable dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a nice write-up.
I prefer the more difficult settings so you only win once in a while, and I guess that says something about me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.