Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Severn
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone please list all the possible ways to add/subtract to/from the Special Options Points total? I know most but wanted to check and make sure I am not missing something...thx

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Ways to spend SO points:

d10-1 Recon (before mission)
d10-2 Tanker Priority (before mission)
d10-3 Special Weapons (before mission)
d10-4 Priority R&R (after mission)
d10-5 Promoting pilots (beginning of campaign)
d10-6 Selecting aircraft that cost SO (beginning of campaign)
d10-7 Flying 1 Less, or 1 More, Aircraft (beginning of campaign option)
d10-8 Random squadron selection (beginning of campaign option)
d10-9 High Stress Attacks/Suppressions (beginning of campaign option)
d10-1d10-0 Large Deck Marine Campaigns (beginning of campaign option)
d10-1d10-1 Replacement Pilots (beginning of campaign/during campaign)
d10-1d10-2 Damaging Targets (beginning of campaign option)
d10-1d10-3 Decreased SOs (beginning of campaign difficulty option)
d10-1d10-4 Event card - spend 4 SO to gain 1 VP (during campaign)

I don't think there are any Event cards that force you to lose SO points. One allows the choice to expend SO for a VP (see above). But I haven't scoured through them other than through normal play to confirm this.

Ways to gain SO points:

d10-1 Events (during mission)
d10-2 Destroying the target during a night mission (during mission)
d10-3 Random Squadron Selection (beginning of campaign option)
d10-4 Increased SOs (beginning of campaign difficulty option)
d10-5 Picking certain aircraft during pilot selection (beginning of campaign)

Edited to reflect Jude's comment below. Thanks Jude! x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Ways to spend SO points:

d10-1 Recon (before mission)
d10-2 Tanker Priority (before mission)
d10-3 Special Weapons (before mission)
d10-4 Priority R&R (after mission)
d10-5 Promoting pilots (beginning of campaign)
d10-6 Selecting aircraft that cost SO (beginning of campaign)
d10-7 Flying 1 Less, or 1 More, Aircraft (beginning of campaign option)
d10-8 Random squadron selection (beginning of campaign option)
d10-9 High Stress Attacks/Suppressions (beginning of campaign option)
d10-1d10-0 Large Deck Marine Campaigns (beginning of campaign option)
d10-1d10-1 Replacement Pilots (beginning of campaign/during campaign)
d10-1d10-2 Damaging Targets (beginning of campaign option)
d10-1d10-3 Decreased SOs (beginning of campaign difficulty option)

I don't think there are any Event cards that force you to lose SO points. But I haven't scoured through them other than through normal play to confirm this.

Ways to gain SO points:

d10-1 Events (during mission)
d10-2 Destroying the target during a night mission (during mission)
d10-3 Random Squadron Selection (beginning of campaign option)
d10-4 Increased SOs (beginning of campaign difficulty option)

There's also at least one card that allows you to spend SO points to gain a VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jude.

I edited my post above to reflect your help. I forgot about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Thanks Jude.

I edited my post above to reflect your help. I forgot about that one.

You're welcome.

What about when you choose your aircraft at the beginning of a campaign? Some aircraft, if chosen, add SO points to the campaign basic SO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I thought I had that one in there, but the 20 lines of text must have disoriented me.

I didn't realize there were that many ways to lose/gain SO when I started my response. After I got done with the easy ones (the options used throughout the campaign), I realized there were quite a few ways to gain/lose SO points from those campaign options I haven't used yet.

Those are a lot of multicolored dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas what the design idea is behind (#7) losing points for both using more planes or using fewer planes? I can see the reasoning for having to pay to use more planes. But not fewer planes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the list, you say this:

"Flying 1 Less, or 1 More, Aircraft (beginning of campaign option)"

I have the french rules (official translation) and it says that this optional rule is to add/substract an aircraft for a MISSION.
But you pay this option for the whole CAMPAIGN.

But questions remains:

- You pay once and you can apply this rule for EACH mission then? The same can apply for both primary and secondary targets during the same day?
- If you have two aircrafts lesser than the number indicated on a target card, do you gain 2VP's then or is it only applicable for 1 aircraft at most?
- And if it's only applicable for 1 aircraft at most, can you pay the option twice to get an additional "+1" or is it a single time option?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry too much about all the ways you can spend SO points -- they will run out quickly enough!

Seriously, just choose your planes/pilots and play the scenario, and if you want to do something, check to see if it costs SO points. After a while, reread the rulebook (including the weapon/plane/pod descriptions in the back of the book since there are actually game rules there) and it will make more sense because you have played through a mission or two. Also, use the sequence of play (on the board, or the more detailed one in the rulebook) so you don't forget any steps while you are playing.

It's a fun game. Your squad will level up while getting also fatigued (or even shaken or unfit!), so you will be choosing which missions to take, managing your squad, trying to choose the right combination of planes and weapons before starting a mission, and deciding whether to try to take out the planes/ground units shooting at you, or save your ammo for destroying the target. And your best laid plans may not work out like you thought they would!

Hints: put some SO into getting a couple of planes with larger carrying capacity if you can, save some SO for R&R and for Tanker refueling en route. Also, keep an eye on how many Victory Points each mission is worth but also how many planes it will use, and don't forget about secondary missions!

(I would not use the optional rules until you are very familiar with the basic ones.)

EDIT: Am I imagining things, or wasn't there another post by baylock asking about SO points??? That is what I was replying to (even if I did imagine it ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are right, there was (obviously) one!
Your mental health is not at stake here :-)

But before you answered, I decided to delete my comment because I thought I was whining too much and that it wasn't so constructive after all.

Nevertheless, thank you for your answer. It helps a lot ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
In the list, you say this:

"Flying 1 Less, or 1 More, Aircraft (beginning of campaign option)"

I have the french rules (official translation) and it says that this optional rule is to add/substract an aircraft for a MISSION.
But you pay this option for the whole CAMPAIGN.

But questions remains:

- You pay once and you can apply this rule for EACH mission then? The same can apply for both primary and secondary targets during the same day?

Yes and yes. Pay for the optional rules once with the SO points that you start the campaign with (those on the campaign sheet and modified by your aircraft costs/gains). Once you've paid, you can use the optional rule on any mission, primary or secondary (or both).

baylock wrote:
- If you have two aircrafts lesser than the number indicated on a target card, do you gain 2VP's then or is it only applicable for 1 aircraft at most?

It's a maximum of 1 extra VP for sending 1 or more fewer aircraft on a mission than the maximum allowed by the target.

Similarly, if you use the +1 option, you can only take 1 extra plane in exchange for gaining 1 fewer VP when the mission is completed.

Note, with or without the optional rule, you are always allowed to take fewer aircraft than the maximum allowed by the target.

baylock wrote:
- And if it's only applicable for 1 aircraft at most, can you pay the option twice to get an additional "+1" or is it a single time option?

Thank you

No. The optional rules are all one-time purchases. Pretty sure that purchasing the +/- 1 Aircraft optional rule multiple times would unbalance the game.

That said, this is a solitaire game so if you think allowing this optional rule to be purchased multiple times would be fun, give it a try. In fact, we'd appreciate a report back to the group if you do try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the answers.

No I don't plan to customize the game's rules.
I really want to play it as it was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.