Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I faced the same decision, and I decided to buy Ora now and hold off on Farmers. Ride the wave of hotness to get lots of play out of Ora and you can always get Farmers later. To hear some of the Uwe fans I know talk, Ora is going to compete more with Le Havre for playing time than it will with Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 1 play into Ora, and many plays into Agricola and Le Havre (although only a handful with FotM). OeL felt much more like Le Havre - many types of resources that you must upgrade along the path to big points, potential actions determined by the buildings people choose, fees to use others' buildings.... What OeL lacks is the specter of upkeep looming over you the whole game. It becomes much more purely about the efficiency with which you grab and upgrade resources. The spatial aspect of the building is closer to Agricola than anything else of Uwe's, and the forest/swamp clearing is more or less the same as FotM. But honestly it felt more like Glen More than anything, just in how aware you have to be of what's next to what as you build.

It's interesting because I think that FotM doesn't change Agricola all that much, but it just gives you more to do and think about as you play it. In the same way, OeL feels like "Le Havre, only more so."

Just my .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
coolpapa wrote:
What OeL lacks is the specter of upkeep looming over you the whole game. It becomes much more purely about the efficiency with which you grab and upgrade resources. The spatial aspect of the building is closer to Agricola than anything else of Uwe's, and the forest/swamp clearing is more or less the same as FotM. But honestly it felt more like Glen More than anything, just in how aware you have to be of what's next to what as you build.

Ha! You are the first person to articulate exactly what I think about Ora. My husband remarked that it reminded him of a cross between Glen More and Le Havre, with the emphasis on the former. We played a 2p and it felt like it had hardly any tension compared to Le Havre, partly because of the lack of a feeding rounds and partly because in 2p there was almost always some resource you do well on. The main tension seemed to be energy (late in game) and stone (mid/late game).

To get back to the OP's question, it really depends on what you are looking for. If you really love Agricola and just want something to change it up, then by all means, Farmers of the Moor. Wood becomes less of a pivot point in the 2p game for example.

Ora is certainly a solid game, even if I'm not it's number one fan considering it's cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.