Donovan D
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I, only very recently, found this site and this comunity is a God send for me..thank you all so very much for the overwhelming wealth of information you share every day. Thanks to all of you in this comunity, you have made my day/week/month/maybe more.

I have crude prototypes of several games but I am ready to start working towards an actual release for my first game. I just can't decide which one to apply myself too. I plan to develope both of these games but I need to buckle down and commit to just one of them at a time and I am having a hard time deciding which. Please help me decide. This will be the first game I actually develope so any tips from experienced designers would be great.

First;
Party Animals (originally HORK, the vomittingCCG
This is a card game I made as a joke when I was in highschool (probablly around 1996) But my friends and I played it and became instantly addicted. It is sort of a spoof of Magic the Gathering.
The game is for 2+ players. All players can use the same deck or you can customize your own deck. When playing off the same deck players start with 10 cards each and "draft" a five card starting hand. The excess cards are shuffled back into the deck. The card types are : action, re-action, and constant (constants are items and "party animals") Each player starts with 6 beers. Players are eliminated when they "give up" or are out of beers (12 sided dice are used to mark how many drinks each beer contains, when your d12 is down to zero your beer must be empty). The game play is much like MTG. There are no lands, the cost of cards is paid by taking drinks. Cards like "Beer Bolt", (Action; cost;1 drink. Deal 3 drinks to target player or Party Animal) and the feared "Chuggernaut"(constant-party animal. Cost 4drinks. Activate chuggernaut to deal 4 drinks to target player. Durability 3) are very MTG like but there are other cards like "Thumb Masters Crown"(Item-cost 2. Once per round you may place your thumb on the table, the last opponent to place his/her thumb on the table drinks 1) and "Censorship"(whenever a player says a cuss word that player takes 1 drink) and "The Toilet Vault"(No one may use the bathroom. Any player may drink 6 to destroy this card),etc make it much more fun and less competitive.
The game is simple, it really is a blast to play, and there is strategy involved. Casually playing off of one deck is a good time, playing with a custom deck is down right BRUTAL. But I worry about legal ramifications and the fact that it may be hard to take seriously. I also wonder what percent of gamers are partiers. Maybe my Niche is too small here.

The other (much more serious but more complex)

Originally called "ARCANE LORE. Now I like "GRIMORE".
My goal was to do what MTG originally set out to do, create a CCG that simulates a wisards duel. I think I have designed a game that actually captures the essence of dueling mages. Magic the Gathering has never really felt like a wizards duel, it is a great game but I never feel like I am "casting spells" to destroy another mage. When I think of wizards fighting I don't picuture battle fields filled with angels and goblins. In my game you can conjure minions but it does little good to have more than one at a time in play. In my game mages use "root n nuke" tactics, or they transform themselves into monsters. They protect themselves with force fields and throw "fire works" at each other while conjuring powerful weapons they wield themselves. They put curses on opponents and blessings on themselves. One Mage may keep his distance and throw fireballs at you, another might root you to the ground, transform into a giant wolf and charge you. Clerics might conjure walls and use life gaining spells to slow you down while slowly building up power to bring down the "Hammer of God". Of course very rarely a player may put emphasis on conjuring a small army but he'll need spells that allow him to control multiple minions at once. More often a Mage might conjure a single minion to do his bidding, perhapse a powerful firebreathing dragon or an Earth elemental. A warlock might summon a familiar spirit in the body of a cat to power his Arete' up, but the game is about Mages, not about card advantage and mechanics that are hard to reconcile with magick. While playing Grimore You never forget that you are a wizard, bending the elemental fields of source and manifesting that energy into magickal effects.
Play;
Your deck is your "book of spells" and you start with it stacked. Your Magus card (YOU) has stats like Combat rating, life points, focus (the number of cards you can have in your hand) and concentration (the number of cards you may stack to the top of your deck by spending an action.)
I'm a little worried about releasing the exact mechanics but I feel like they are simple and elegant, they emulate a real fight between mages, they are fair and sort of clever and extreemely original. I also took great care to avoid "mana lock" and not drawing the right cards (if you know the spell you shouldn't have to get lucky and "top deck it") I also feel like the mechanics are realistic. If magic was real this might well be how it would work. There is a lot less luck involved overall too I think.

Sorry about the novel I just wrote. Thanks to those who read it. I intend to design both games and actually have started on a game very similar to "Grimore" but not a ccg, I'm going thru Author house to publish an even more realistic wizards duel verging on RPG. That project is getting benched for now though because I found this site and now have the ability to get cards printed very offardably. So, for me, it is go time....
Which of the two games seems like it would be;
more fun, more marketable, easier to produce, and an all around better idea?

ANY coments at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Develop the prototype you're madly in love with.

Getting a rough draft ready is hard work.

You'll need every ounce of enthusiasm.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to research CCGs from a legal perspective, there's a patent on that business model that may burst your balloon. I've never had the desire to market that way, so I don't know the particulars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.