Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's assume that I'm mainly interested in the aerial side of things, the land and naval stuff in Dystiopian Wars may be a nice bonus, but isn't my main point focus...

Can someone familiar with both give me a quick comparison?

Failing that can someone familiar with either give me a quick rundown (I realize this portion is probably best served in the game specific ones, it's just a "backup" in case I don't get any hits on the combined question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If air stuff is your focus, you are probably better off with Aeronef.

I have some half painted (like all my minis!) DW stuff. It is a great game, and as mini games go, relatively inexpensive to pick up. It strikes me as primarily a naval game though.

DW is a pretty standard Igo-ugo, move, shoot, assault minis game. It handles its subject matter pretty well though. The turning templates are pretty nice, as is the quality of the minis.

The 1st printing of the rules are a little confusing at times, but allegedly the 2nd printing is going to be better.

Personally, I really like the way that DW works. Specifically, how smaller ships can link fire to allow them to engage larger ships. There are times where it can get a bit frustrating, for example it doesn't *feel* right that an appropriately sized squadron of destroyers can damage a battleship, but since it is all made up, it makes enough sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm somewhat familiar with Uncharted Seas if that helps anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of Spartan's games, Uncharted Seas is the only one I haven't looked at.

The air element is a pretty nice feature of Dystopian Wars, it just isn't the main focus.

I have kit bashed rules for WW2 naval minis using features of DW because it handles carrier operations pretty well. The focus is just more on the integration of naval and air combat, as opposed to being more about air to air combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmd8tc wrote:
Of Spartan's games, Uncharted Seas is the only one I haven't looked at.

The air element is a pretty nice feature of Dystopian Wars, it just isn't the main focus.

I have kit bashed rules for WW2 naval minis using features of DW because it handles carrier operations pretty well. The focus is just more on the integration of naval and air combat, as opposed to being more about air to air combat.

Yeah. Looking at the mini's line it appears you're right. I hadn't kept an eye on it since it was first announced a while back. At the time I had the impression that while it included land units, ships, and flying stuff that the focus was more aimed at the flying stuff.

I still love the models, so who knows. But that might make the3 answer "both" which isn't very good for my miniatures to be painted backlog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmd8tc wrote:
DW is a pretty standard Igo-ugo, move, shoot, assault minis game.

Actually, DW is alternating squadron activation - not an igo-ugo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
wmd8tc wrote:
DW is a pretty standard Igo-ugo, move, shoot, assault minis game.

Actually, DW is alternating squadron activation - not an igo-ugo game.

Doh!

Sorry, it has been awhile since I played it last. You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem All of the Spartan Games systems use a similar alternating-squadron activation. Their games also include cards. I don't know if you'd consider them a CDG or not, most of the cards are more event-like providing bonuses, etc...

Personally I think it's a good system. Light weight enough to handle large engagements but some real maneuvering going on with the turning templates. Uncharted Seas is my favorite of their three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am partial to either DW or Firestorm Armada.

I agree with you about the balance in the Spartan Games system between maneuver and battle size.

I don't think the game is a CDG though, as the cards are really there to provide bonuses and events as opposed to driving the action.

The thing that struck me most about Dystopian wars was the integration of the Air and naval combat. It just seems to work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both keep seeming more and more like the answer. I do love the DW models. Well, except the flying robot, which makes me want to hurl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.