Subject: Quick fix for Overpowered University card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to take the balance idea from Rivals of Catan.

The University card now had a prerequisite. You must have built a Library it Church before you cam build the University.

That should help balance the game a bit. You now have to build a settlement, two cities, and a city expansion, before you can build the university.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Marino
United States
Kendall Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
What about making it so you have to spend any two cards to substitute for another while building. This would make the usage of this card slightly less and probably even it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, making the university a 2 for 1 harbor. :). I had thought of making my own harbor card actually. Probably a 2 for 1 wheat harbor. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, yes. I had the same thought. Jumping from 3 to 1 trades to 1 to 1 trades does seem too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Marino
United States
Kendall Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The card would really function the same way as it does now but would require one extra resource to make the substitution. It would end up costing you 5 resources to build a settlement but only 3 have to be the correct ones. It keeps the spirit of the card but slows it down just enough to not guarantee a win for whoever picks it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see. Any two resource cards. They don't have to be the same type. I.E.) if you want to build a road you could spend a wood, Wheat, and a sheep instead of wood and brick. That does seem like a good fix. Will test it out next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Marino
United States
Kendall Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Yeah, exactly. Definitely post back your findings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Frankowski
msg tools
I've change it to use 1 to 1, but one of those which is already on the price. Let's say when changing a settlement to a town 3 grains and 2 ores can be used or 1 grain and 4 ores.
Tested it today - works fine. Doesn't give big so huge advantage as before.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
apfrankowski wrote:
I've change it to use 1 to 1, but one of those which is already on the price. Let's say when changing a settlement to a town 3 grains and 2 ores can be used or 1 grain and 4 ores.
Tested it today - works fine. Doesn't give big so huge advantage as before.

Cheers

That seems very clean. It keeps the flavor of the card, without undermining a core mechanic of the game (the fact that certain resources are only good for certain things). Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.