Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a fantastic game, but the solo version is a bit stale in the sense that it is a solvable state. It's a puzzle that, once solved, holds no real value in ever playing again other than perfecting your "solution". This variant adds a push-your-luck element that will require you to use the same type of analysis used in the base game, but will force you to make some risk assessment as well as having some variability that removes the fixed state.

Just before moving the production wheel each turn, roll a d10.

1-4 Move the highest resource on the wheel to 0.
5-7 Move the second highest resource on the wheel to 0.
8-9 Move the third highest resource on the wheel to 0.
10 Move the fourth highest resource on the wheel to 0.

In case of ties, determine randomly.

Lastly, this variant uses grape/stone markers as in the multiplayer versions.

Your target is 400.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Conrad
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had the same issue with the solo game. Your variant definitely adds the "press your luck" element and, in a way, replicates another player picking up the resources before you get a chance to get them.

I wonder if there might be another variant to add wherein the neutral player builds one of the available buildings at random every so often, instead of just whatever is left at the settlement phase. Perhaps every other turn? I suppose that would just mean that you need to focus a little more on coins in order to pay for their use. But, it would also mean you might have to manage your use of the neutral player's clergymen a little differently, too. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves-Marie Le Carrérès
France
Brest
flag msg tools
How do you get a 10 on a D6? This sounds like a fun variant, I might give a try on my next solo game.

Have you tried THIS VARIANT?

I only play solo this way now and it works well. It's not as good in multiplayer, but it's fine for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Hojyn wrote:
How do you get a 10 on a D6?

...was my first thought, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant d10...

*fixed*

I think the rest of the solo rules are fine. And I DID look at the other variant, but like having all the buildings available. I just thought would be a very simple way to maintain interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Hedgehog
Austria
Wels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a very good idea to introduce a little bit of randomize element to the game.

Like this a lot, thank you for the idea! Will playtest and report.

Could also work for Agricola..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Hedgehog
Austria
Wels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a d8 instead of a d10 (because I don't have a d10)
Additionally I use a d6 at the same time to determine which resource is put to 0 if there is more than one possibility.

Also I roll the two dices directly after the resource wheel has been moved!
1-3 Move the highest resource on the wheel to 0.
4-5 Move the second highest resource on the wheel to 0.
6-7 Move the third highest resource on the wheel to 0.
8 Move the fourth highest resource on the wheel to 0.

Furthermore at the beginning of the game put one figure (of any color that is not used) randomly on one of the available buildings. The covered building cannot be built this turn. After rolling the dices next turn, you take half the value (rounded up) from the d6 and move the figure that many buildings to the right (or the left if you like). Again the now covered building is not available this round. When adding new buildings, you bring an additional figure into play --> A: 2 buildings are blocked, B: 3 buildings are blocked... Other than in the original solo play not built buildings from the previous area (A, B, C, D) do not go to the neutral player, they can be built the whole game (if not blocked). There is no possibility to use any of the blocked buildings, not even for gold! Use of grape/stone and score of 400 stays like descripted by Greg.

I haven’t really tested this version, but I think it might work. Not sure yet how many blocking figures should be used, 5 in the end seems a bit too much, especially with 400 points to reach. Hopefully I have some time to try this out during the weekend.

What do you think of this variant? Please let me know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Hedgehog
Austria
Wels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here also my idea for Agricola!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/799025/agrisola-fake-opponen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.