Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion contains four hero miniatures, four corresponding character sheets, 3 form tokens, and six global effect cards. The heroes included are the Feline, Seeker, Shaman, and Thief. All the components are of really good quality.

Feline

The feline is a decent and unique hero with some unique abilities. The first ability Shadow is a very unique and strategic ability. Shadow allows the feline to hitch a ride with any general or hero except the Eagle Rider. I found the ability to be very useful for two reasons. The first is because when preparing to attack a general the Feline does not need to worry about a general slipping past her. The other reason is getting places quickly with the help of other heroes. The Feline can have another hero pick her up to prepare to face a general or just get her closer to her destination before the start of her next turn.

Her next ability Catlike Quickness gives her the possibility to gain some more actions. If she attacks and defeats 2 or more minions in a single attack she will gain back an action to use right away. These actions are not permanent and she can only use a maximum of 7 actions on her turn. Any ability that can give extra actions is a nice one to have.

Her third and final ability is claws. Claws allow her to re-roll any natural 1’s in combat but only once. If the dice comes up 1 a second time then she may not roll again. Having re-rolls are great against minions and generals. The ability gives her an edge over the generals Gorgutt and Onyx to prevent their blocks and counter strikes on 1s. When facing these two generals the Feline is a good choice to take into battle.

Seeker

The Seeker is a very powerful hero with some really powerful abilities. If the seeker is being played well you may get through the game without ever placing a taint crystal during her turn. She also has an extremely powerful combat ability.

Her first ability is precognition, which allows her to see into the near future. We get to see the first darkness spreads card that will be played at the start of the turn. This allows the seeker to better prepare her turn. She may want to deal with minions in areas where an overrun or taint will occur.

Her second ability is Deadly Blade and this is a very powerful combat ability. This allows all purple cards in her player’s hand to be used as Battle Luck Cards. Most games I am wishing for the Battle Luck Cards to show up before facing a difficult general. With the seeker I just have to find a purple card. Additionally all dice on the purple cards can be used against any general. So if the purple dice have green dice they can be used against the other three generals as well. Many colour dice on the purple cards come in pairs so this is a nice addition to an already powerful ability.

Her third ability is Confound Enemy, which allows her to spend an action while on a space with minions to move those minions to adjacent locations. This is also a powerful ability and I use it two ways. The first is to use it to push single minions into larger groups of three to prepare an attack for better results during rolls. The second is to use it in conjunction with precognition to push a minion out of areas to prevent taints at the end of the turn.

I really like the seeker and I think she may be one of my favourite heroes. I love all three of her abilities. Deadly Blade is one of my favourite abilities of any hero and the other two abilities work so well together to manage and control minions, and taints during her turn.

Shaman

The Shaman is a powerful hero and I think may well be my favourite hero. The Shaman only has two abilities or three forms with unique abilities if you want to look at it that way.

The Shaman’s first ability is a very powerful but dangerous ability to use. Arrows of Destruction allows for the Shaman to destroy all minions on any one location on the board. The catch is he has to roll a die and on an odd number the land is tainted. I almost always use it on areas with three minions or if the tough Dragon Wizards and Dragonkin seem to be unbeatable. Sometimes though you will find the land becoming tainted quickly and if your not careful you could lose due to the tainted land.

The next ability is Beast Form. Beast Form allows the Shaman one time during a turn to take the form of a Wolf, Bear, or return to Human form. This is a free action and he can do it at any point during his turn even after he spends his last action to set himself up for his next turn. The forms give the Shaman different abilities. In human form the Shaman gets to use the Arrows of Destruction ability, and is the only form that can enter inns or Monarch City. It is also the only form that can use all three types of travel when discarding a hero card. When the Shaman transforms into a wolf he can move twice as if on a horse and if ending his turn on a green location he will suffer no wounds from minions. The wolf is still affected by the fear of the undead. The bear is the Shamans combat form and the bear is a ferocious fighter. When in bear form the Shaman heals one wound upon being transformed and gets to reroll all dice once during combat for each attack. As a wolf or bear the shaman cannot discard a hero card to travel by eagle or horse, but they can still discard to travel by gate.

The Shaman is my favourite character to use. It is almost like using three different heroes with there own abilities and I get to choose when and where I want to utilize each one. If I want to move quickly I will be the wolf, if i am going to do alot of close combat then it is the bear, and if I want to blast those pesky minions from afar then it is his human form I will choose.

Thief

The Thief is the weakest of the heroes in this set but she is very thematic and a very good team player. Two of her abilities are activated at the end of her turn and the other is a combat ability to use on the chest areas.

The first ability Scout is useful for getting an extra card or two at the end of her turn. This is her weakest yet most thematic ability. When ending her turn the Thief can draw an extra card for each adjacent location with 3 enemy troops or a general. The potential is there to draw several cards but in my first use of her I could never draw more than 1. My favourite part of this ability is if she draws a card of the colour she is on she is discovered and has to take a wound for each matching card. I love this as it demonstrates the dangers of scouting.

I really like Steal Battle Plans because it makes the Thief a real team player. When ending a turn with a general she can draw two darkness Spreads Cards and play her choice. Then she returns the other to the top or discarding it. I love the theme of this ability as she sneaks into the general’s camp and steals the plans to buy the realm some time or lets the realms troops prepare in advance. Me, I always discard if a general will move and will usually put it back if the only threat is from minions.

Her final ability is Daggers & Theft. This is a very nice combat ability and also very thematic as the Thief is very skilled at fighting in the streets and alleyways of the cities and ports. If fighting on a location with a chest icon she can re-roll any failed dice. If she defeats two or more minions in a single round of combat she gets to draw a hero card.

I like the thief. She is thematic but I found her to be weaker then some of the other heroes. She does have some unique abilities and she is an asset to have as part of any team.

From this set I really like all the heroes. They have some really nice abilities and all are very thematic in how they play and what they add to the game. I think my favourite hero from this set and likely overall is the Shaman with the seeker being close behind.

The global effects are nice to add to the base game to give the game a little variety and the rules clearly explains how to use them. If you have the Dragon Expansion you already know how to use them but these just add more. There may be one or two you already have but spares are OK.

When compared to the first two-hero expansion I would say they are comparable and I like all 3. Two of my favourites are still in the first set but all the heroes from the second set are great and thematically the heroes from the second set may be slightly better. This third set also has some really unique and thematic heroes and my favourite over all is in the third set. I would say get all three sets but if you had to get just one go with hero set # 2. I think the second set is the strongest but just by a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good review. I bought all 3 expansions back then and believe they offer a lot for the life of the game. Excellent character overview though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played with Hero pack 3 last night, I was curious about what other people had to say. This is a nice little review, but I found my experience with the Thief and Seeker were reversed from yours.

The Thief was phenomenal; she had a ton of extra cards coming in, and was practically able to solo two of the generals as a result. Her Steal Battle plans ability was awesome when preparing for an attack on a general, as she could both get into position and make sure the general didn't move.

The Seeker on the other hand...I never used her abilities other than Precognition, and Precog was actually helpful only once all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hulk Hogan
United States
flag msg tools
I had the same experience as Brian regarding the Seeker. I was expecting more from her character to say the least. (I got this expansion after having read this review, not because of it, just happened that way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.