Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Just thought I would share my set with everyone now that I've finished painting and storing them (and maybe give some people some ideas for their own sets!).

Paint Job

This was my first time really painting game pieces (I had painted some zombies I had a while ago for another game, but that was little more than a "dip in paint" job and had no real details at all).

I used cheap acrylics from Michaels, but soon into the project bought some nicer brushes from a local art store because I was frustrated with the cheap ones I had first picked up. I dont know too many techniques for things like shading, so I cheated and used a lot of metalic paints (for instance) to help bring shine to parts to help make up for not painting in too many shadows or highlights. As I went on though I tried to experiment more and tried to highlight and shadow where I could.

I primed everything white with a the Krylon brand spray can, and glossed everything over again with the generic glossy varnish (also from Michaels). I can see how glossy can take away from things like blends (which I noticed on my dragon's wings that I had spent so much time on -_-)... but I liked how the glossy shine made them feel more like game pieces =).

I work full time, so the only real time I had to do this was after work a few hours a day and sometimes when I had a free weekend, but just doing this casually it took me about a month to get everything done (and then another half a month to clean everything up... tho there was the holidays in the middle there taking up a lot of time as well).

Here are pics of all the finished models:

I later went back and cleaned up all my pieces as I had come up with some better techniques as I had gone along. Here is an example of some little touch ups I did to some of the models:

Containers / Sleeves

For the loot and relic cards, I used "Mayday Games - Card Game Premium Sleeves" 63.6mm x 88mm (green label). They seem to fit the cards perfectly, giving the cards that needed stiffness without making the piles super heavy or large. I used some old plastic pen boxes to create card boxes for them as well (tho am still looking for a better alternative).

The monster cards for the kobolds and dragon denizens I put in a 3x3 card sheet that works super well for easy movement and tracking purposes.

For the more "mobile" cards such as the hero cards, adventure effect card, etc. I put them in some left over hard card sleeves I had laying around. They make perfect "stats cards" that can be moved round and handled easily.

For the smaller models I purchased some clear bead containers and used some leftover foam I had to make little holders. It was a lot of trial and error to cut out the foam just right to hold them, and it was all just leftover foam so I had to kind of be creative with cutting the squares. I like though how you can totally see all the models in cases though.

For the larger models, they dont make clear bead containers big enough =P so I used these boxes they sold at the local hardware store and used the extra bits and pieces of the foam as guards for the models:

Lastly for the game box I found this craft box on sale that fit the box almost perfectly. It came with other separators as well, but the only one I used was the side case that collected all the counters and dice perfectly and fit right along side the game box. I had to remove the black plastic holder from the whole thing, but everything fit in great.

Hope you guys like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i like how you went creative and had a tiger druid instead of the normal bear-bear
the pieces/painting seem to be chunky though. is it a result of the gloss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
i like how you went creative and had a tiger druid instead of the normal bear-bear
the pieces/painting seem to be chunky though. is it a result of the gloss?

Yeh for all of the pieces, I decided to not got with the original art on the cards and instead just paint them however I felt like.

The Druid and Angry Bear I totally got the idea from someone who did a "Finn & Jake" set and went for a "Calvin & Hobbs" theme instead.

In regard to the "chunky" question though, im not quite sure which parts you are talking about. Again, I didnt use any of the expensive model paints, but I dont feel like any of the models have excessive paint clumped anywhere to make the models be lumpy in any particular area. But regardless I wouldnt say it was the gloss as the only thing that changed when I vanished them was the shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!!! Excellent job- I really like the Starfire and whelks/hatchlings. Also love the flingers. Would you consider posting a few more starfire pics? I'm still working on mine, she coming along nicely but yours is gorgeous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regi Bennett
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yeah, Great work!

-I kinda thought the same thing with the "clumpy" paint, but I looked again, I think its just that the paint is so Shiny. Originally thought the paint was a bit thick and that perhaps you had blurred out the slight edges of detail in the model, but.. nope, looks good you caught all the edges I could notice.

- Really, really like that Tiger Theme (too), really makes them stand out!

- Your dragon is awesome looking too.

- I like your storage kit, will definitely have to get a counter storage box, but I am no ready to spend ANY more time on this game after having painted mine as well.

Great joB! ( I did the same thing with the colors too, how I wanted, not the card depicted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That tiger druid is GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat!

First time painting? A+ my friend! That's a big project with a lot of work, and those look great. Especially for the cartoon-y style of the minis! Keep up the painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Mayers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing clunky that I can tell, those look great! Im with the above poster. Give us more shots of Starfire.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through painting mine. It's been more enjoyable than I originally thought it would. You're pictures inspire me to continue to get them done!

Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Moore
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job! I really like your work on the eyes. I also recommend you look up how to do washes, it will make your good paint jobs look even better. By the way, I love tony the tiger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
SDE is my first attempt at painting (I farmed out the heroes though because I was afraid I would not be able to do the eyes and ruin them).

Love your Tony the Tiger

My figs (first paint jobs remember)

Then the Heroes not painted by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, it is a feat in itself just finishing the whole set. I am still holding back on starting mine. Have still been working on my Descent set occasionally. Just been playing too many games rather than working on them

Great work though, especially for first time paint jobs! I am no pro painter, but have quite a few models under my belt. One thing I can say is that trying out some washing and dry brushing techniques will get you some more pop on your models. I would look into it and experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Go****

Indiana
msg tools
UPDATE on Greyelephants post- 3/4 done now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rob
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I'm planning to do a panda variant when i paint my angry bear, in homage to Brent's nemesis, Attack Panda, from PvP Online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super job all around!

I like the gloss finish. Usually for my figures I give them a couple of coats of GlossCote for the hard durable protection, and then DullCote on top to take off the shine. For this game, I've been leaning towards leaving them shiny. (Just arrived, haven't started painting the minis yet.)

The carrying cases are great.

And bonus points for the custom paint jobs ^,^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.