Subject: Trading District - When? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thels de Kwant
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Excuse me if the name's slightly off. I have the Dutch version myself. I checked all the images, but even the image that shows "all" city expansions doesn't show it, though it's shown in Dutch and in German.

I'm talking about the City Expansion that allows you to steal one resource per turn from a player with equal or more points than you.

When exactly are you allowed to do this?

- Can you still do this during the turn in which you built the City Expansion?

- If you steal a resource card, can you still use this resource card to build something?

(I guess I have more or less the same question for the University. Can you use it to build something else during the turn you build it?)

Greetings, Thels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember anywhere in the rules that states that you can't use the city expansion powers the turn you build it. Nor when you can use the power during the turn sequence.

So I would say you can use it the turn you build it. You can also take the resource card at anytime during your turn.

That being said, I don't have a copy of the rules on front of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thels wrote:
Excuse me if the name's slightly off. I have the Dutch version myself. I checked all the images, but even the image that shows "all" city expansions doesn't show it, though it's shown in Dutch and in German.

I'm talking about the City Expansion that allows you to steal one resource per turn from a player with equal or more points than you.

I think you are talking about the "Merchant Guild".
Quote:

When exactly are you allowed to do this?

- Can you still do this during the turn in which you built the City Expansion?

- If you steal a resource card, can you still use this resource card to build something?

(I guess I have more or less the same question for the University. Can you use it to build something else during the turn you build it?)

Greetings, Thels.

The use of the Merchant Guild is not part of a special phase. Therefore it can be used at any time, even in the turn when you have built it and the resources can be used immediately in your building phase.

Greetings
Dr. Reiner Düren, Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thels de Kwant
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Thank you for the answers, both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you get the "special phase" interpretation of that card?

We interpreted the card to mean that DURING THE DRAW PHASE, you take one of the cards from another player instead of the deck.

Is there some "official" clarification on that or something in the rules which I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thels de Kwant
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Taed wrote:
Where do you get the "special phase" interpretation of that card?
If you read Reiner's comment above, you notice that you can use the bonus at any time during your turn.

It is probably advisable to use it as soon as you can (right after building it, and at the very start of all future turns), so you can anticipate around the extra resource better, and there's a chance that you are unable to steal a resource after building something. The only exception might be if you are planning on building a city, and already have seven cards on hand.

Taed wrote:
We interpreted the card to mean that DURING THE DRAW PHASE, you take one of the cards from another player instead of the deck.

That would be a very weak ability. It would give you no benefit whatsoever, as the card you steal from another player is practically just as random as the card you draw from the deck. You do hamper one of your opponents, but since it's only available when there's at least three players, that's helping your other opponent just as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.