10 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Playing tonight: Scenario 4 or 5? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe likeitornot@freemail.hu
Hungary
flag msg tools
I have played the first three stories with a group of friends and today we are planning to play a fourth one. Usually before playing the game i visit this site to see if other gamers have met some problems during play so if we face the same problem i can give them the answer immediatelly.
So while i was searching for these two scenarios i found that people are saying that scenario 4 is boring and scenario 5 is dissapointing. Are these two that bad really? I set up the tiles and everything for sc. 4 last night and i saw that the keeper does not get to summon monsters with the help of the action cards. Are those entering play only by event cards?
Dont really know anything about the 5th scenario...
So what do you guys suggest which one should we play tonight? Or should i buy one of the print on demand expansions? If yes which one of those?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main complaint I see about scenario 4 is that it's dull and disappointly, with far too many boring dice rolls and little actually happening. I've personally never actually played it.

Scenario 5 on the other hand is just horrid. a competent Keeper should never lose, and even the best investigators won't be able to win. On top of that the game can punish you massively for doing what you've probably already been doing (exploring). Generally, it's just not fun.

I haven't played the PoD expansions, but I haven't heard especially good things about any of those either. My personal advice would be, stick to scenarios 1-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I enjoy both scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 4 is terrible - just skip it. Scenario 5 is okay, but if you think your group might react badly to insta-losing within the first five turns of the game, you might want to let them read all three objective cards before the game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I enjoy both scenarios.

This is literally the first time I have ever seen anyone claim to enjoy Scenario 4, Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I enjoy both scenarios.

This is literally the first time I have ever seen anyone claim to enjoy Scenario 4, Ever.

I think I've seen one other person, but that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played scenario 4 with each of the three Objectives, scen 5 only once, which should tell you my feelings about #5. Scenario 4 is a change of pace to the other scenarios, in that the Keeper doesn't have Actions with which to summon monsters, so you have to do your wearing down the investigators via the Mythos cards. I'd probably put #4 second or first out of the base game five, Fall of House Lynch the other contender, Inner Sanctum is just a shoot 'em up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Scenario 4 too. It's a change of pace from the combat heavy scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

Skeletor is an adamant defender of all facets of Mansions, so you can disregard that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
SDW740 wrote:
I enjoyed Scenario 4 too. It's a change of pace from the combat heavy scenarios.

I did too. Granted, there were only 3 of us so it played very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.