Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ethics of human sacrifices are of course a worthy topic to discuss, but - apart from the moral implications - how do you best kill off your investigators? Is it even possible to deliberately get rid of a cursed sister Jane who has lost everything or a Carolyn Fern with a sprained ankle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
With two or more madness/injuries you could Retire them instead?
It's far more humane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Retirement after two injury or madness cards is the way to go. In the base game it is comically difficult to severe the ties. The boys in white whisk you away to the Arkham Asylum no matter what cosmic awfulness is present and St. Mary's stubbornly refuses to observe "do not resuscitate" orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I'm talking about. I forgot the retirement rule and the community immediately comes to rescue. Thanks.
But - hypothetically (or maybe not) - lets say I started a game online yesterday and that we paused the game for a couple of days after six rounds. I'm sitting by the table analyzing the situation and I know that the only way we are going to have a shot at beating the AO is by getting rid of two of the investigators. We didn't start with the injury/madness decks and I don't think it's ok to introduce the card now? What do we do?

(Sorry I used the phrasing "sprained ankle". THAT was hypothetical.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
On a seperate note I have an excellent house rule that we used for years through a misunderstanding of the rules-

"If an Investigator is dealt damage or sanity loss equal to or greater then their maximum value from a single source they are devoured".

We realised that you weren't supposed to play like this only 60 odd games in, but having since played it correctly we kind of prefer the above rule. Have a go with it- adds an extra level of excitment to monsters and encounters! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The only examples I can think of in which you can intentionally have a character devoured is to have Silas Marsh enter R'yleh (using his personal story failure condition) or to intentionally fail a skill check that will get you Lost in Time and Space with Yog as the AO.

You can also give Flute of the Outer Gods to a player that has a san/stam remaining of 3/3, providing he can pass the horror check. (0/0 simutaneously). (Some play that the character doesn't have to lose the full three, but I take the card as written).

Otherwise, other than retirement, that character is staying in the game.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slegyras wrote:
The ethics of human sacrifices are of course a worthy topic to discuss, but - apart from the moral implications - how do you best kill off your investigators? Is it even possible to deliberately get rid of a cursed sister Jane who has lost everything or a Carolyn Fern with a sprained ankle?

To misquote a favorite movie:

"What do we do now, sir?!"
"We DIE."

As I play the game, the investigators fight gamely to the end. Sometimes, that's just the way the world ends.
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have some details of the mini-session report incorrect as I don't have the game in front of me. I have a friend who was playing Arkham for the first time and he isn't known for having the most patience for fiddliness in games; he just wants to kick butt. Don't ask why he was playing Arkham.

"Just let me have a fedora and a tommy gun and I'll be happy!" Well. This was easy; he was all smiles as I passed Michael McGlenn over to him. One hour in, he was lagging behind the other players in the involvement of his investigator, but finally got to fight a star vampire -- and lost badly. "Don't worry," I said, "Just draw an injury card, head to St. Mary's and you can rejoin the party in a couple of turns." So he did. He drew "broken arm." He couldn't use his beloved tommy gun.

The turn immediately after he zipped over to St. Mary's to recover, a giant something-awful with about five toughness sits right in the street area, pinning him in. Broken arm. Can't leave. No weapons. No help from us as we're busy putting on a gate sealing clinic on the North Side of town. After five pointless encounter cards at St. Mary's something broke inside my friend's mind. Seeking the humane solution, we recommended he just run out of St. Mary's screaming into the Cthonian awfulness, get another injury card and retire poor Michael McGlenn. He did.

New investigator. Sister Mary. He hasn't played since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.