4 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Struggling with the Americans and amphibious assaults rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Ok so am I right to think that as the US, you need to carry out amphibious assault (AA) using at least two units if you want to avoid getting wiped out and thus incuring a political will loss?

My problem is not so much neutralizing or smothering the surrounding islands to prevent a reaction, but when you have a reduced 9-12 japanese unit defending an island, with the +3 drm versus AA, it is real easy to inflict two step losses on an invading unit that has its defense strength halved. You only need to get a X 1.5 result, aka 7-8. If you count the +3 drm to inflict 12 damage points, that's 4+ so what 50% ?

You can't afford to lose many political will points this way obviously, so the solution is to invade with more than one unit. One of which has to be marines for one hex islands. That's three ASPs. You will not be able to carry out more than two of these assaults for a long time.

I find that if the Japanese player commits to a decisive battle early on, (when he still has an advantage or at least parity in forces) it actually gets easier because he has then shot his bolt. But if he keeps a fleet in being and uses it as a threat, then it gets complicated.

With a 3 OC card, if you use Nimitz, then you can activate 6 units, that leaves you with 4 naval/air units to either neutralize potential reaction or protect the invasion which isn't much. The Japanese can then wait for the right moment and intercept you with a stronger force. And then you waste the ASP you had invested in the operation. And if you lose the precious ASP, you are less likely to reach the progress of war objective.

Anyway, I am looking for some pointers here to see if I am on the right track and asking myself the right questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:
Ok so am I right to think that as the US, you need to carry out amphibious assault (AA) using at least two units if you want to avoid getting wiped out and thus incuring a political will loss?

My problem is not so much neutralizing or smothering the surrounding islands to prevent a reaction, but when you have a reduced 9-12 japanese unit defending an island, with the +3 drm versus AA, it is real easy to inflict two step losses on an invading unit that has its defense strength halved. You only need to get a X 1.5 result, aka 7-8. If you count the +3 drm to inflict 12 damage points, that's 4+ so what 50% ?

You can't afford to lose many political will points this way obviously, so the solution is to invade with more than one unit. One of which has to be marines for one hex islands. That's three ASPs. You will not be able to carry out more than two of these assaults for a long time.

I find that if the Japanese player commits to a decisive battle early on, (when he still has an advantage or at least parity in forces) it actually gets easier because he has then shot his bolt. But if he keeps a fleet in being and uses it as a threat, then it gets complicated.

With a 3 OC card, if you use Nimitz, then you can activate 6 units, that leaves you with 4 naval/air units to either neutralize potential reaction or protect the invasion which isn't much. The Japanese can then wait for the right moment and intercept you with a stronger force. And then you waste the ASP you had invested in the operation. And if you lose the precious ASP, you are less likely to reach the progress of war objective.

Anyway, I am looking for some pointers here to see if I am on the right track and asking myself the right questions.

Based on this stream of questions I can reasonably assume that you have entered the EoTS world, so welcome.

Well first off, you are correctly interpreting the rules. The only advice that I would offer is first, you can use two Marine Divisions (basically a Marine Corp) that only costs 2 ASPs not three, but if you use a full Army Corps you are correct.

If you think about the war as a whole it is dangerous to invade islands when you do not have air-naval superiority, so if the JP is in a good position, you need to first fight naval battles to over time reduce their ability to stop you.

Historically, the USN traded its pre-war navy for the JP pre-war navy and then the USN deployed another Navy.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.
For some reason I didn't think of sending two marines divisions together for an amphibious assault. That should do the trick and be sufficient to both defeat the defenders, avoid having the invading force be wiped out and also save ASPs. And you're right, I think I was not aggressive enough with the US navy so the Japanese fleet was mostly intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think being fairly aggressive as early as possible is key here. You will take losses, and at best can hope for a 1:1 exchange over time. Not infrequently, this ratio can be worse as the JP can sometimes chose when and where to react. But unless exessive losses are taken, this is irrelevant as your air units and naval grow back and get replaced.
Use land based air units to the max, remembereing that you get 5 steps / turn. To if you kill 2 steps, don't as a result compromise your position, and draw only 2 JP steps down with you, it's a win in the end as these JP losses just add up over time.

Using low value cards for local pinpricks (i.e. little low range reaction is only possible as well) as this will over time erode the JP reaction ability enough so that in turn 6-8 you usually are in a good shape to start taking islands be force. Making reliable PoW in these early turns when you have a smaller navy/airforce as the JP, and don't have the strength to outright AA assault defended hexes at will can be tricky. Taking places overland, looking for gaps in the air cover, any cheap target is good there. It doesn't matter if the hex is a useful base in the future, just keep the press and public at home happy, and exchange the navies. Yours will get stronger, the JP will only get weaker with time.

We are imminently starting a new 1941 campain in the CSW:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@831.Dz8nbUIcaTR.0@.1dcdf...

Basically a bunch of people play in two groups against each other. Both can see only their folder, + the central folder, but anyone not playing, can obvisouly see both sides planning, and the actual moves in the main 'central' folder.
I learnt a lot here, as with a big cup of coffee you can go back and see many games over the years being played out, essentially with all the rationale and discussions on both sides to see. Have a look, or join in. CAUTION: is very easy to forget time here !!!

Welcome to the game, and enjoy. It hasa steep learning curve, but is very very rewarding once to get the hang of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.