Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Field Marshal Haig - Denis Winter's book "Haig's Command" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know enough about Haig to say one way or the other.

I am inherently skeptical of hardline claims in either direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I hear Haig's name mentioned I am reminded of the phrase:

Lions led by Donkeys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
billyboy wrote:
Every time I hear Haig's name mentioned I am reminded of the phrase:

Lions led by Donkeys

I agree that it's a shame people don't have a better education when it comes to the First World War - that's the classic example I use as well.

Corrigan is a good example of the movement to correct mistakes like the one you admit to.

I don't know if your trying to pick a fight or not Michael? That would be unfortunate.
I didn't admit to anything.
I am very well read on the First World War.
Haig is very controversial as you may know if you've ever read anything on him or the First World War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Given the cycle in Haig's appreciation it is difficult what revisionism is, but the back blurb on my Penguin edition notes

Quote:
"the most devastating attack on Haig's reputation since {...} Lloyd George's self serving memoirs in the Thirties"

and
Quote:
"His account [...] will be called 'revisionist' with all the dismissiveness that entails"
Brian Bond

So I'm afraid he's the opposite of what you expected. That's a different question than whether he can be trusted. I'm not sure he meant to do a hit job, and at least he worked through a lot of Commonwealth archives. That might also explain his different appraisal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A crushing point Winter makes toward the end of the book is Haig, some weeks after the armistice, asking: "why did they stop fighting?". If true, this has several ramifications of the most extreme significance.

The author is not the first to believe that attempts to interfere with his researches confirmed the accuracy of them. I gain an impression, again seen elsewhere, that demonstration of quantities or dates being slightly wrong is used to undermine the book as a whole, where changing them in favour of the critics' suggestions would not in fact alter its thrust at all.

Perhaps the most telling part of the book is in the most interesting biographical section, where an officer admits they were all amateurs. The American General Pershing is by comparison completely trashed, with the parlous state of his army being the subject of talk amongst London society. And although touched on briefly, Nivelle becomes a bad general after others cause his offensive to fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.