Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Saul N
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this game for the first time last night. Love it!!
I've got a question about the Speakeasy Improvement markers. You can take the card, redeem it for the marker - play the marker immediately OR keep it in your back room. If you do keep it in your back room is there a rule as to when it can be played on a Speakeasy? Or is it like most things... as long as the Muscle Cards are face up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharkvsdragon wrote:
Just played this game for the first time last night. Love it!!
I've got a question about the Speakeasy Improvement markers. You can take the card, redeem it for the marker - play the marker immediately OR keep it in your back room. If you do keep it in your back room is there a rule as to when it can be played on a Speakeasy? Or is it like most things... as long as the Muscle Cards are face up?

As long as muscle cards are face up - if there's a dispute about timing, muscle card order decides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have a question about this. Though not specified in the rules, it seems to make sense that improvement markers can be moved from the back room to a speakeasy at pretty much any time. BUT... if you choose to move one to a speakeasy right after the dice are rolled to determine how much they will buy, would it count for that roll? In other words, can you wait to see what the dice are before deciding if you want to use the improvement marker there?

I can see it easily being either way:

1. The speakeasy hasn't bought the whisky yet, so you can still place it there to make it able to buy more.

2. Rolling the dice and adding the improvement bonus happens all at one time, to determine how much they will buy. Once the dice are rolled, the total amount they will buy that turn is now fixed; adding an improvement at that time is too late to affect the current round.

Similar questions for thug cards that would affect whisky production, such as destroying a die, or the one that forces a player to choose either to pay you money, or to skip production that turn. Can you play those cards after they have rolled for production? Or once they have rolled, have they already immediately produced, thus you can't prevent production for that round anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say high muscle card that round decides all of those questions.

Although you misspoke and said "influence" at the beginning instead of "improvement." Influence is sent in during the "Send in the Boys" phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
I'd say high muscle card that round decides all of those questions.

Although you misspoke and said "influence" at the beginning instead of "improvement." Influence is sent in during the "Send in the Boys" phase.

Edited to fix the mistake.

I don't think that muscle order makes much sense for this type of question. The rules are pretty specific about when muscle card order matters. They don't allow you to change the rules of the game. The person with the highest muscle can't just do whatever he wants. Either whisky is produced immediately as a result of the die rolls, or it isn't. Either the pub buying limit is determined immediately as a result of die rolls, or it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play it is like this.

Die roll to produce whiskey. You have an extra die sitting in the back room. At any time during the production phase, right up and till you move to the next phase you can take that die and add it to a still and roll it. You are negotiating with another play to sell / trade crates with them. Say you rolled a 2 and a 4 so you made 6 crates. You sell all 6 to another play, you decide to add that extra die to your still and you roll a 3. You now have 3 more crates to put in your truck or trade / sell. Once the trading is done and you start to move trucks to the bars, the production is over.

Selling the liquor in the bars, you start at the bottom and work you way up one at a time. In each bar you roll the dice. If the number is too low you can add the improvement marker. You start to buy the liquor from the trucks, you work your way down the line of trucks. Someone realizes the bar is not thirsty enough and has an influence marker, they can add it at that time. Once you finish paying out that bar and move to the next, that bar is closed and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@GendoIkari_82

I don't mean to say the high muscle guy can make up the rules. Whatever the rulebook says goes, but if there's a place that isn't specified or is ambiguous, I'd revert to calling it a timing issue that is decided by the high muscle player if an agreement cannot be reached.

@bschremp

Negotiation occurs in the "Run the Whiskey" phase, after the "Fire up the Still" phase has completed. On the influence marker, you are correct that they can be played at any time. Whether they affect a die that has already been rolled is not specified in the rulebook. I'd leave it up to high muscle card to decide, but if your group always plays that they do affect just-rolled dice, that sounds good, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
@GendoIkari_82

I don't mean to say the high muscle guy can make up the rules. Whatever the rulebook says goes, but if there's a place that isn't specified or is ambiguous, I'd revert to calling it a timing issue that is decided by the high muscle player if an agreement cannot be reached.

@bschremp

Negotiation occurs in the "Run the Whiskey" phase, after the "Fire up the Still" phase has completed. On the influence marker, you are correct that they can be played at any time. Whether they affect a die that has already been rolled is not specified in the rulebook. I'd leave it up to high muscle card to decide, but if your group always plays that they do affect just-rolled dice, that sounds good, too.

Is there a rule that says that timing issues / questions are resolved by high muscle order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Is there a rule that says that timing issues / questions are resolved by high muscle order?

Rulebook wrote:
"Priority conflicts between Thug cards (i.e., timing
resolution when two Mobsters wish to play conflicting
Thug cards simultaneously) are always resolved· in favor
of the Mobster wielding the highest Muscle."

Theoretically, other timing issues are resolved by the rulebook, but if the players at the table can't come to an agreement on what the rulebook says, highest muscle is the way to resolve the dispute. I couldn't find that in the rulebook (it might be there), but the designer says so here:

agelotti wrote:
"Basically, muscle cards are the "universal tie-breaker" and can be used to resolve timing issues with the thug cards and other situations where ties may arise (e.g. copper, least money, etc.)."

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/80846/more-thug-card-timing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.