Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had a pretty quick game of Race for the Galaxy, so I figured I'd leave a note. We played with Race for the Galaxy plus Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm and with the Two Player Advanced rules. My opponent opened with my least favorite starting world, The Ancient Race, and I opened with Earth's Lost Colonies. The goals were active, but they made no difference this game. The reason that the game went so fast was this:

In my starting hand I had the Alien Toy Shop, so my opening was Settle/Consume Trade. I settled the Alien Toy Shop and traded it's Alien good for five cards, leaving me with 6 cards at the end of the round. One of those 6 cards was Galactic Studios. Because it was a production world with a good consume power, I chose Settle/Produce for the next round. I settled the Galactic studios and with this, my Consume VPx2/Produce engine was ready to go. Already after two rounds! At this point, my opponent's tableau looked like this:

He must have known it...

In each of the next three rounds I would pick up at least 8 Victory Points and 2 cards. Carrying out that plan finished the game after Round 5. On the way I got lucky and picked up a Tourist World, which would give me two more cards each round, and I got a third blue world which I built in the last round, giving me the 5 VP of the Goal to obtain 3+ Blue/Brown worlds. I also got the 3 VP of the Goal to be the first to obtain at least 5 VP chips, while my opponent was the first to have a 6 cost development. As expected, it was the Galactic Genome Project, giving him 6 VP at this moment, but he would build another Gene World in the last round.

But the goals really didn't matter, since the end game statistics were: 41 VP for me against 23 VP for my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew this was about the Alien Toy Shop when i read the word "quickest"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I knew this was about the Alien Toy Shop when i read the word "quickest" :p

At one point, when playing lots and lots of 2p in this setup, my fiancee and I made ATS cost 4, not 3. So that turn one would not result in this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keldon's AI did something similar to me with just a three card tableau: Earth's Lost Colony, Alien Toy Shop, and Galactic Salon. Not sure exactly how many rounds it lasted, but it was over in a flash. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nearly impossible to win against ELC + toy shop + something that gives 2 more vp per cycle, even with goals. ELC + toy shop is very tough but beatable by itself, if goals are on. If you want to have a decent chance, you'll generally have to assume you'll get lucky and probably go with military or maybe alien.

There are a lot of older threads about this sort of start in the gathering storm forums if you're curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.