Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Stuff Inc. has it in stock . . . for $149.99. This is about double the price listed by other online retailers (but, of course, none of them have it in stock). Is it worth paying this "supply and demand" premium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This has already been discussed to death here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/750149/s149-99-really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I wouldn't, but I got a copy @70. I like it but I think I'd be bummed if I'd paid such a premium for it. Especially since there is supposedly a reprint coming (right now estimated for April, iirc but I'm sure that can change).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short, as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:

I don't think that's really the same thing. Doug David (Edit: You're avatar is Doug, I'm going to call you Doug!) was incensed that people would charge so much. Let's not bring that back to life. This OP on the other hand wanted an opinion as to whether he should spring for this game at that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:
emperorhand wrote:

I don't think that's really the same thing. Doug was incensed that people would charge so much. Let's not bring that back to life. This OP on the other hand wanted an opinion as to whether he should spring for this game at that price.

I'm already thinking the answer is "no." If I buy it now I'll be happy until the less expensive reprint comes out. Then I'll feel like an ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't worth 14.99 never mind 149.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
...implicit in your question, I am sure: is it worth that price to play the game now when in five months one could have it to play for less than half that price?

I would love to have a copy of of this right now but the answer for me would be "no" -- whatever the game is. I suppose the answer for you depends a lot on your cash flow situation.

Sorry to chime in without having played it, but I've struggled with the same question. Since I can't justify the purchase, I try not to let the shiny, awesome looking game dance in my head as I try to get to sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

I would love to have a copy of of this right now but the answer for me would be "no" -- whatever the game is. I suppose the answer for you depends a lot on your cash flow situation.

Well, I could afford it. But would I rather shell out $150 for maybe 3 to 5 other "normal" priced games instead of this one? Probably. But sometimes I just gotta have stuff right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, perhaps the best of the year, but you'll have it in a few months for half that. Play other things that you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game, save your money.

Its a great game, but I wouldn't pay double for it. Save your money and pre-order a reprint. I have seen a number of places that seems you can do so already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By waiting for a lower price, I also save a potential beating from my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it depends on how many games you have waiting to be played. I haven't even opened my copy yet (maybe I should sell mine while it's in high demand). I doubt I'll even open it before the reprint... too many good games! The next question will be Dungeon Petz or Eclipse? I'm leaning towards DP though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

It is important to stockpile those for rainy days when they're really needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never understood how it is that a person with their own set of priorities and values could expect answers to specific questions about those personal aspects, from others who know next to nothing about the individual.

Do you actually want others to tell you whether or not to spend 150 dollars on something? Because not knowing the first thing about you, all they can do is project their own value of the game in answer to your question, and that value is going to match up to your own set of values only by sheer, random, astronomical coincidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

Well, I could afford it. But would I rather shell out $150 for maybe 3 to 5 other "normal" priced games instead of this one? Probably. But sometimes I just gotta have stuff right now.

I paid around $115 with shipping, I don't regret it, and I doubt I will when May comes around either (note: they're currently talking about late May for the reprint, not April; blame the Chinese New Year). In my mind, all the extra plays I'm getting between now and then are well worth the extra $40. And sure, I could have gotten 2 or 3 other games for the same amount, but I already have too many games. I'd rather get one expensive (but worthwhile) game than two or three games that I'll play twice, and that will thereafter sit discarded on a shelf in my basement.

I don't know that I would have bought at $150, though. That is quite high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
Click to format C:\
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Some men pay for women to beat them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I have never understood how it is that a person with their own set of priorities and values could expect answers to specific questions about those personal aspects, from others who know next to nothing about the individual.

Do you actually want others to tell you whether or not to spend 150 dollars on something? Because not knowing the first thing about you, all they can do is project their own value of the game in answer to your question, and that value is going to match up to your own set of values only by sheer, random, astronomical coincidence.

I think you're over-analyzing this. People don't need to know anything about me to give me their opinions. Based on what they say, I can make my own decision. I think this website would be pretty inactive if only the people who knew each other well posted questions and answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was prepared to pay £70.00, which is less than $149.99 (unless there's been a radical shift in the exchange rate!). Of course, it depends on your circumstances. I happen to have some cash to spare at the moment, and I'm single... and the copy being sold was the only copy in my game group (from which you can also learn that the old owner was selling, whatever that may tell you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
yes .... ooorrrr no...

/homersimpson

DarrellKH wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
It's definitely worth the full price of $99.99. Beyond that you're rewarding scalpers, so it becomes more of an ethical question. If you don't care about the ethics of rewarding scalping, and are asking the question "would Eclipse be worth a legitimate $150 1st-print retail price if I could instead wait and get it for $70 in April?" I would say ... probably, but only if:

- you have the money to waste
- you play it at least once a week until April

Personally, I would never give a scalper a free +50% cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Cool Stuff Inc. has it in stock . . . for $149.99. This is about double the price listed by other online retailers (but, of course, none of them have it in stock). Is it worth paying this "supply and demand" premium?

I like the game a lot. A whole lot. Every game I have played (6 now) has been great. It is worth every penny I paid for it.

I paid 60 something dollars preordering it from Coolstuff back in November.

I have always liked doing business with Coolstuff. I will do business with them again.

But, if I did not already have the game, I would not fork over their present asking price for it. Especially if it were still an unknown quantity to me personally. Though people who have played it overwhelmingly love it, that does not mean you will. I would wait, eagerly anticipating the second printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

It is important to stockpile those for rainy days when they're really needed.

hahahahahahahhahaha . . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from News to General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg O
United States
Chesterfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents worth. How many games do you own that you still have not played? Or, how many can you purchase that you want to play?
It is one of the best games that I played and when my group gets together weekly, this is the game that is always selected as an options to play that night. So, I would say yes, but there are a lot of other great games out there too. This probably didn't help to much.
Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.