BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Ameritrash for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to decide on a game to include into my next order and was hoping to get some help deciding based on my current collection. Consider I am looking for a 2 player game mostly because my main gaming partner is my girlfriend.

I already have a lot of tactical ameritrash game but it is what I prefer so I was either looking for something similar or a more strategic ameritrash title. Some thematic light euro game could also work I recently got Rattus and The Downfall of Pompeii and enjoyed those. I'm open to any suggestions though!

Basically I was considering one of these:

Small World

Horus Heresy (2010)

Runewars

Undermining

Neuroshima Hex!

Mr. Jack in New York

Tikal II: The Lost Temple

Metropolys

Battleship Galaxies

Considering I SOMETIMES get to play with 4 to 6 I also considered Junta: Viva el Presidente! , Shadows over Camelot and I'm the Boss!

Finally, I could get Warrior Knights for cheap and saw on the geek that a couple people actually recommend it with 2 players so any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleship Galaxies and Tikal are both good games.

I'd also recommend:

Earth Reborn
Claustrophobia
Gears of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars. Definitely Runewars.

Charlest's suggestions are all excellent as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great thematic game with two players is Ascending Empires.

My hands down favorite? War of the Ring (First Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal and Tikal II: The Lost Temple are very different from each other. I'm just clarifying in case anyone didn't realize that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this, I looked over my collection and jotted down a few games I think would work for you. Then I looked over your collection to see what you owned. The good news is that most of what I would recommend, you already own and have rated fairly high.

The ones I jotted down that you don't own are:
Cold War: CIA vs KGB - Very fast, has some bluffing, maybe a bit abstract, but no more so than Citadels. Strictly 2 player.
Pandemic and Pandemic: On the Brink - I think everyone who plays games with his girlfriend should own a co-op like this. If you like Forbidden Island, it's basically the same game, but taken up a notch.
Race for the Galaxy - OK, so maybe this isn't a 'girlfriend game', and maybe the iconography is confusing at times, and maybe the theme is a bit weak, but it is a beloved game by many. AND it has a great solo option with Gathering Storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runewars works okay for 2, but shines with 3-4. so it would be an option for osmething that works for 2, but can scale up.

for 2 players & Ameritrash though -

War of the Ring
Gears of War
Earth Reborn

my wife's favorite? Arkham Horror. 2 players, each controlling 2 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima hex and battleship galaxies are two great ones. Plus if you buy NS hex you can buy expansions for it from him:
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapest 2 player Ameritrash:

get two sticks from the yard and smack each other. Whoever holds onto their stick wins.

Recommended for ages 11-90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On your list, I'd say the only true Ameritrash titles are Horus Heresy and Runewars. I haven't played either. But here are my recommendations for two-player ATs:

+1 Earth Reborn
+1 War of the Ring
+1 Claustrophobia
Space Hulk

For a couple hybrid options, go with one of these:

Chaos in the Old World
Cyclades
Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know these weren't on your consideration list, but I'd like to
+1 for Claustrophobia.
Also, Nexus Ops is a prime example of an Ameri-Trash game, good with 2 or more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn. At the moment my fiance and I are playing it at every opportunity (even though our wedding is only 8 weeks away!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Horus Heresy is an awesome experience. It has 6 scenarios. They are for the same battle (of course, if you know the background of the Horus Heresy) but they have each different special rules and the combination of combat cards, order cards and event cards make each game different anyway.

Also it is a completely different experience to play the forces of Horus or the Emperor. They have different heroes, units and card decks and of course one attacks and the other defends.

How can anyone not like this beautiful board game?

EDIT:
Be aware though that this game has a learning curve. But that is a good thing because you will not be bored after two or three sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one big suggestion…Dungeon Twister…but I see you already own it.

I have Neuroshima Hex and I can at least give you my thoughts on that one.

Neuroshima Hex is a board game that wishes it were a video game. It takes a lot of practice (at least it did for me) to keep track of everything that's going on.

Battles only occur when someone plays a "battle" tile, and at this point the board is usually packed full of deployed units all mixed together pointing every direction.

The fighting is performed in a series of phases for each initiative level from 6 down to 0. There are tiles that give bonuses to initiative to bordering tiles. Making sure everything happens in the correct order (and not forgetting about any initiative bonuses from tiles or racial ability) takes a lot of practice.

I found a good way of doing it was playing the ipod app over and over again, and the people at work I play with have done the same thing.

I found some people that like it, but my wife definitely does not.

ALSO: I just added Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord (in your collection) to my wish list…looks like a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Prime contenders for Ameritrash, off the top of my head (from most to least recommended):
Star Trek: Fleet Captains
Claustrophobia
Runebound (Second Edition)
Galaxy Trucker (or Mondo)
Cyclades
Merchants & Marauders (but only if the theme really appeals)

For "thematic light euro", I'd go (again, from most to least):
Fresco
Walnut Grove (when it's available)
Tikal II: The Lost Temple
Tobago
London
Alea Iacta Est
Last Will
Pergamon
K2
Coney Island
Thebes (super light)
Stone Age (also super light)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders is a great pirate/merchant themed game that plays well with 2-players.

Arkham Horror is fantastic, too. Lots and lots of fiddly rules and bits and bobs. A great theme, too.

Earth Reborn is good if you like hardcore tactical squad-based games. It has a sci-fi, post-apocalyptic theme with zombies (sort of).

Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizzt are good, too, if you're looking for a quick game of hacking-n-slashing.

You could even try out Cadwallon: City of Thieves. It's pretty simple, very attractive, and is coming out with an expansion that includes campaign rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks a lot everyone for the feedback I'm still undecided but some of these comments are actually really helping.

I did look into pandemic before buying Defenders of the Realm and I decided to go with that one instead only played once so far though so rating could change.

I do consider Gears of War: The Board Game also but it seemed like since the games are long and the game is mostly fighting over and over that it would get repetitive fast?

I must admit I am really interested in Horus Heresy (2010) so it's great to have someone say something positive about it since the reactions from reviews seem so mixed.

Oh and about Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord I decided to try it since I like dungeoncrawls a lot and it really was surprisingly good especially for the price (original rulebook is bad though) so hopefully you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aryub wrote:

Oh and about Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord I decided to try it since I like dungeoncrawls a lot and it really was surprisingly good especially for the price (original rulebook is bad though) so hopefully you like it.

that's an awesome game! thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smallworld. Hands down the favorite of my wife and I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely +1 Claustrophobia.

However, of those that you mentioned, Nerushima Hex! is a fantastically tense little game! It's almost too stressful for me but it's a lot of fun.

SW is decent enough but I don't think really shines until it gets more than two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aryub wrote:

I must admit I am really interested in Horus Heresy (2010) so it's great to have someone say something positive about it since the reactions from reviews seem so mixed.

I can say more positive things about it, like mentioning the order mechanism which make you feel like a commander, planning and giving orders to your troops.

Btw, I assume that your girlfriend is used to play games the scope of Horus Heresy or Runewars and/or strategy games in general? If not I would consider another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well every game rated in my collection has been played with my girlfriend so while there might be a learning curve I'm fairly certain it would be fine. If you have played it how would you compare the difficulty or learning curve vs something like War of the Ring (First Edition) ? I have not played yet but I'm going through the rulebook this week and plan to try it out maybe next week and it does not seem to be too bad rule wise so if it's anything close to Horus it would be fine.

By the way for the person who recommended Nexus Ops it's already a 100% buy when the reprint is out and I'm also eagerly awaiting Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) even though I have never played the first.

Once again a lot of great suggestions even though many I already own maybe that just says something about my collection size and how I should keep it from growing more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Claustrophobia
Last Night on Earth

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Horus Heresy is slightly more complex than War of the Ring.
While War ofthe Ring has two side-by-side mechanisms (the war in Middle-earth and the quest of the Fellowship), the actual rules of these mechanisms are relatively easy to learn. Most of the complexity comes from the extra rules on event cards and character cards.
Horus Heresy is about the battles and has more basic rules in the rulebook for these, like the difference between rout and retreat or a breached and unbreached fortification or orbital and thunderhawk bombardments. So you have to memorize more basic rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Finke
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Nexus Ops... you could do the Neolithic Ops in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.