Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Newland
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Ninja Vanish!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read most of the rules but I have a question about these two items.

Basically, the exhibition is a prelem before the selling. Is there any advantage of not selling a pet and keep it for upcoming exhibitions? Also, is the exhibition just a way to earn some early points but selling is the real way to make money and points? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Quick answer is no, think about it, the 4 player game has 6 exhibitions each with 20 total points to be gained, and on average you will own only 3 petz, which from what I have seen tend to go for around 6 points before multipliers.

so basically you have to try and do both well to succeed as a pet store owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is 'yes' for the second question. Prestige gained from selling pets is usually much higher than that gained from exhibitions. You don't lose the pet when having it run in an exhibition though.

An exhibition will gain you a maximum of 8pp while I've seen pets go for more than 20pp (with the aid of the market platform).

As far as not selling a pet in order to win exhibitions further down the road. That of course depends on lots of factors. How much pp would you get for selling it? Will you be able to sustain the growing pet much longer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our experience in a few games of 2-player dungeon petz matches Tom's.

Our scores in both games were around the 70 mark. For each of us probably about 25-30 of those came from exhibitions. 40-45 came from sales. Exhibitions played a large role, but sales dominated our scores.

And I would never keep a pet for an exhibition if I could sell him for a decent number of points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chip in with a 'yes' for that second question as well.
We're currently finding (after about a dozen games or so) that you make the bulk of your points through selling and this needs to be your first priority.
Think customers.
Think getting your imps on the platform for bonus marketing value.
Think exhibitions.

If you win an exhibition, you're going to get a 2-pt advantage over whoever came second. But if you sell a pet for 8pts, rather than 6pts, and have an imp on the platform that's a 12-pt swing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep losing our 2P games at the moment... I've focused too much on selling and pretty much ignored the exhibitions. In 2P, if one player wins all of the exhibitions (in-game, not the final scoring ones), they get a 20VP advantage (assuming second place scores 2VPs and not 0VPs). That's usually been the margin in our games.

We've also found getting the Whip of Obedience to be pretty critical in 2P - more so than in 4P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.