Hide
5 Posts

La Città» Forums » Rules

Subject: Food confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giant Fran
msg tools
I've read the rules and the posts on here but I'm still confused about food tokens. Got this game for Christmas and I've played it several times now, with several different numbers of people, and each time we've realised we've been playing it wrong in one way or another!

First up, we hadn't been taking food tokens when we put down new cities. I now understand that you're supposed to take x number of tokens when you lay a new city, depending on the farmland it's touching.

Secondly, we didn't pick up food tokens when we laid farms. Instead,we counted the farm points at the end of each year in "Feeding the Citizens" and added them to any food tokens we had. Essentially this means that a farm placed between a 3-value and 2-value farmland triangle will yield 5 farm tokens *each year*. This now seems incorrect. Is it supposed to only yield those 5 tokens once, when you lay it?

Double harvests were easily calculated the original way we played it. But if tokens can only be taken once per new farm do you need a separate pile to account for double harvests as these expire after one year?

Very confused! Any clarification would be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giant Fran
msg tools
I found some more posts on this in the "General" forum and think I understand it now. The food tokens are just symbols for the farmland -- they stand for how much food you are producing, not how much food you have produced. Previously we'd been using them as if they had meaning on their own: if we had 5 excess food one year, we'd take 5 tokens for the next year. But now I understand that you can't collect food tokens in this way, they're just symbols of what your farms & cities produce in a given year.

This will make the game more interesting, I think, since the player next to the 3 and 2 value farms won't have as huge an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have it figured out. The food tokens are simply an easy way to keep track of your current food production. Food is not "spent".

Otherwise, you would have to count your food production every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this was my first question after soloing it last night. Plaed this game over 10 years ago and wanted to give it another try. I only have the Dutch rules and it's either a bad translation or the rules were fuzzy to begin with

So: the tokens are just your total production per year, NOT an actual food storage. Meaning:
Take food tokens when you place a city
Take food tokens when you place a farm
Remove food tokens when you abandon a farm.

Food tokens are NOT paid to feed your population and retaken each year (like gold production)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
As the other posters say above, the food tokens are merely markers to show how much food you are able to make in your cites in total.

It is confusing as it looks like you are collecting food chits. But that is NOT the case.

You could count up the number of wheat/food you have at the end of each round, but that is tedious. You could even just write down the number of your food production in order to keep track of it all.

And, yes, you do lose food count when you lose a farm.

We have found that sometimes we forget to take the food tile markers and so it's a good idea to double check your production totals every now and then. It's a rather fiddly bit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.