Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...instead of declining them?

Because out of 3 trades that I've proposed, 2 of them have gone unanswered. Are people worried they're going to hurt my feelings by declining? If that's the case, let me reassure you: you appear a lot ruder (A LOT) by just ignoring the request. If you find the proposal isn't fair, let me know so I can take that feedback into account for future trades. But just ignoring it is childish. It also holds up other proposals I may have, because I don't want to propose the same game to different people at the same time (doesn't seem fair somehow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens a lot. It's often a discussion around here.

Some things you can do to minimize this:

- Be certain your trade is fair, that you are offering an equal or better trade

- Make sure you are trading with someone who has logged in recently

- Send the person a geekmail asking if they are interested before sending a trade offer. That way you don't have your game held up waiting for the trade to expire.

Look into the Math Trade lists, those are much more successful in creating trades than individual offers.

Lastly, don't give up, trading can be great here, but it does take some persistence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I've let a lot of trade offers expire, partially because I was taking the time to consider them. Sometimes I do send a mail back to the person with a little more detail than simply rejecting a trade, since there isn't any way to give a more personal response through the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all good advice, thank you. Though I tried the email before trade proposal and didn't get an answer either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
This is all good advice, thank you. Though I tried the email before trade proposal and didn't get an answer either.

Sorry.

But if you don't get an answer with that, then I say you are free to offer to someone else.

Another tip would be to look for owners of this microbadge:

mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you extend the 3 day window of response time? A lot of people don't log in every day or even every week and sometimes real life can intrude for any number of reasons.

I always amend the time period to anything from 7 days upto 30. It doesn't do any harm unless you are desperately waiting on an answer prior to jumping straight back in to the marketplace. I must admit that I find the 3 day target a wee bit aggressive - it's giving out a nessage that says answer this before you dare do anything else! Hence the very good advice to do an email first to sort out deals before pressing the peremptory button.

Good luck going forward and don't be discouraged. A lot of trades are happening all the time on BGG and it always feels great when a well-worked deal reaches fruition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Along with checking when they last logged in, also check their trade rating, some people use the 'trade' boxes for their own purposes rather than actually intending to trade.

If someone has a reasonable trade rating that's a good indication they are trading. Of course they might only do Maths trades.

I sometimes miss trade offers - I agree 3 days is quite short. If I'm looking for a direct trade I'll send an email first, if there is no reply, then move on to someone else.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people get a lot of trade offers. Some slip through the cracks. I have at times had some popular games on my for trade list, and have gotten up to ten trade offers a day.

I normally respond very quickly, within an hour, but I'd guess that one out of every ten or so I forget.

When I forget, this is why. I check bgg on my phone. I read the geekmail on my phone. It's hard to respond on my phone, so I delay until I get to a real comp. When I get to a real computer, the geekmail is already read, so there is no red text up there reminding me. A few days later I get another geekmail saying the trade has expired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.