Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So my wife, our friend, and I went to Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, ON, CA. We went for a day trip for our friend's birthday and we ended up at the Canadian Midway.

After winning a jackpot of 501 tickets we ended up with 786 total tickets. The best thing we got? A Cheeseboard w/ knife, complete with nice cheap pictures of Mounties and the good ol' red maple leaf.

The leopard print snap-bracelet with a scorpion on it was OK too.

How about you? Any good or great things you won at an arcade still kicking around? Games at amusement parks count, too.

I'd love to hear "success" stories where you walked in with $100 and walked out with a Wii or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
During my Mrs.' 21st b-day scamper in Vegas, we hit the arcade at Excalibur. We played a few rounds of skee-ball and some other weird game that offered tickets. We went to turn them in when for a crappy prize when a kindly gentleman offered us a large strip of tickets. We accepted and continued to the ticket counter station. The teenage kid, who absolutely loved her job , began pushing the tickets through the counter. Rather than wait in silence, we got to talking with her about something or another. During the conversation, we noticed that she'd stop pushing the tickets through, BUT the counter would continue to spin AND count. So, she was actually giving us more tickets than we actually had.

Long story short - By the time she was done, we had over XXX (insert crazy amount here) to buy THE prize - a 4 ft Taz! Of course, we didn't expect an additional passenger in our full-of-luggage Civic, but we were able to get him home safe.

Admittedly, we didn't legitimately win it, but we GOT it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That 4 ft. Taz better still be around. That's not something you just throw out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
That 4 ft. Taz better still be around. That's not something you just throw out

Well...actually...when we bought our first home, we gave it to one of our co-workers who was a Taz fanatic - proven by her 4" tattoo and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in an arcade at Great Adventure (a Six Flags park) pumping in quarters at this crane game-like machine trying to win me a Zippo lighter because, c'mon, when you're 16, Zippo lighters are pretty badass.

I must have pumped $30 into this machine (I'm not that bright), but finally I won it.

When I flicked it open, it turned out to be a Zippo-brand flashlight, not a lighter. I was pissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
erak wrote:
I was in an arcade at Great Adventure (a Six Flags park) pumping in quarters at this crane game-like machine trying to win me a Zippo lighter because, c'mon, when you're 16, Zippo lighters are pretty badass.

I must have pumped $30 into this machine (I'm not that bright), but finally I won it.

When I flicked it open, it turned out to be a Zippo-brand flashlight, not a lighter. I was pissed.

I was going to say "Ooohhh, burn..." but apparently it couldn't do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
A year or so I won a Penguin as big as my daughter.

"Pengo" is still sitting on her bed every night, guarding her room from the "shadow crocodile".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UndeadViking wrote:
"Pengo" is still sitting on her bed every night, guarding her room from the "shadow crocodile".

"Shadow Crocodile"? I'm intrigued. Are you able to elaborate on such a monstrous creature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:

"Shadow Crocodile"? I'm intrigued. Are you able to elaborate on such a monstrous creature?

Don't you dare! I want to be able to sleep tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tickmanfan wrote:
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:

Don't you dare! I want to be able to sleep tonight.

Afraid the Shadow Crocodile will eat all your burritos?

I hear it LOVES Burritos. That and it cancels all the thumbs you've ever given out. It also uses all the hot water right before you get up in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:

When Rilyn turned three, she discovered that if she was less than honest about things she did, she could escape a bit of trouble, so when something in her room ended up broken, or missing, or crayon colorings showed up on her walls, she said it was the "shadow crocodile" that did it.

Now mind you, we didn't really have any sort of warning for this - no bedtime stories about crocodiles, or movies that depicted them, or even an emphasis on them in any way. But she swore a "shadow crocodile" lived in her closet, and she still says he does today. He even moved downstairs when she got her new room.

Now we have fun with it. His name is Stephen, and he tends to hide from grownups. This last Christmas, as a way of trying to make peace, he even gave Rilyn a present - a pare of walkie talkies so she could use them to call for help from dad if need be.

It should be recognized, of course, that Stephen is deathly afraid of Pengo, and won't come out of the closet if the penguin is sitting on the bed.

Edit: It does appear that the Shadow Crocodile enjoys the hell out of burritos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Afraid the Shadow Crocodile will eat all your burritos?

I hear it LOVES Burritos. That and it cancels all the thumbs you've ever given out. It also uses all the hot water right before you get up in the morning.

NOES!!! MAKE IT STOP!!! cry

UndeadViking wrote:
Edit: It does appear that the Shadow Crocodile enjoys the hell out of burritos

GASP!!! It's been confirmed! Something must be done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've walked in with under $20 and walked out with a skateboard and other miscellany. Of course, the skateboard was crap, but it was like a trophy. I won 12,000 tickets after spending about $3.50 on a jackpot machine like the spinner thingy they use on showcase showdowns on TPIR.

But that's not the best jackpot to spending ratio. I once had ONLY .25 with me while staffing an outing to a place called "Fun World" in town. It was a really run down place that had one of those small plinko-type quarter drop machines.

Well, this one had a busted post on the last letter to light up to win the jackpot. So the quarters would hit there and slide to the left, never dropping in.

This kid with our group had spent his entire $10 on it I think, trying to light the last lamp.

It was time to go and I decided to toss my quarter in. It dropped straight in, jackpot of 1750 tickets won.

Of course, I laughed and laughed, gloated a bit, then bought the entire group candy and trinkets. So nothing is left of it except for a story which still makes me smile. I used the teachable moment to tell him why it doesn't pay to gamble all of your money away on something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A year or so ago I used one of those crane machines with the stuffed toys in & won Gizmo toy (from Gremlins) first go. First time I'd ever used one of those & I plan to never use one again so I have a 100% strike rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.