Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right! Legend of the Five Rings is FREE to print and play through the end of March 2012. With Emperor Edition on our doorstep, we wanted to give L5R fans and new players curious about the game a way to get started at no cost to them! With the PDF flyer available here:

http://www.l5r.com/news/free-kolat-edition-print-and-play-de...

You can learn all about Legend of the Five Rings, and find links to the rulebook, and NINE fully playable printable decks, one for each Clan. And these are not cheap beginner decks, these have rares and were designed to hold their own at tournaments!

You can use them to play with friends, play in official tournaments (they are acceptable through March), or use to add to your War of Honor games. Not only are these decks available, you can download and print the ENTIRE Emperor Edition base set at http://www.l5r.com/news/kolat-edition-pdf-available/ if you want to tweak the contents of your deck as you become better at the game!

A few notes for the new players:
- "Kolat Edition" is our name for the free version of Emperor Edition, as you learn more about the story, you know why the dastardly Kolat are giving away our product for free…
- You will need two sets of opaque sleeves and some playing cards to "back" these printouts with, to give them some weight when playing. L5R uses two decks, a Dynasty and a Fate, with different backs.

Please do pass this PDF on to anyone who might be interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool offer. The link to the Lion Clan deck produces a broken (Adobe Acrobat does not like the file) pdf. This is from a Windows 7 system with the latest version of Firefox (9.0.x) and a fully-patched full version of Acrobat Pro 9 (just in case you need the information to diagnose what is happening).

Never mind, it appears that it might be a Firefox issue. It works with Chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually all the of the PDfs had something weird happen to them in the conversion to 3x3. I've figured out how to fix it, but it's taking me a little time to replace the files one by one. Lion was the one I'm working on right now. :)

Unfortunately the PDF size will increase (to about 35 Mb per file) but they will read clearly!

Hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that!

I always wanted to play the game before entering, i would try the lion against the crane. I do RPG as Lion mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Todd,

awesome! Downloading as we speak to check L5R out...

Noob questions here:

1. Just curious, are the cards used in these decks regular cards, used in the commercial game?

2. Is there a quicker way to sort the cards into Fate and Dynasty decks, than to check the rulebook for the individual card types? I know that I have to first read the rules and understand the game, but still

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top customer service here AEG!

I must admit that I don't play L5R myself, but certainly the company's treatment of their players have nothing to do with that, they seem to be a real class act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

1. Just curious, are the cards used in these decks regular cards, used in the commercial game?

Yes, every card in these decks is in Emperor Edition, which will be on sale in March (boosters in February, decks in March).

These are constructed from the entire set, so these decks will be slightly different than what you receive in your starter decks for Emperor Edition, which are also pre-constructed but different.

Quote:
2. Is there a quicker way to sort the cards into Fate and Dynasty decks, than to check the rulebook for the individual card types? I know that I have to first read the rules and understand the game, but still ;)

With the exception of the first card, the Stronghold which is neither Dynasty nor Fate (it's its own thing), they are already sorted. All of the cards down to the Event cards are Dynasty. The very next card type, Followers, starts the Fate deck.

Then it ends with some quick rules reference cards, and an Imperial Favor marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Top customer service here AEG!

I must admit that I don't play L5R myself, but certainly the company's treatment of their players have nothing to do with that, they seem to be a real class act.

Thank you, hope we'll win you over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
And once again, AEG wins the day. I don't know that I've ever seen a company as supportive of its customer base.

You guys have my respect and my business (including my pre-ordered copy of Imperial Histories and my request for War of Honor for Valentine's day/bday).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow! Just wow! Thanks for this!

I see there was some tech problems with the files. Are all the deck pdfs final behind the links? The lion and unicorn files are ~35MB, all others ~4MB. Is that right?

Could you, please, post some card back files, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lion deck has x4 of two Fate cards. The limit is 3 no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
Their stronghold lets them have four of any 2 non-unique fate cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, that's the cool thing about that stronghold, you can pick two of your fate cards (non-unique) and have 4 copies instead of 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.