Dungeon Run» Forums » Rules

Subject: solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
terry simms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
is dungeon run worth playing solo?,have read comments how a 2 player game is pretty awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't fully agree that DR is 'awful' with 2...(certainly far from ideal).

IMO, solo play is not really worth the effort unless just to learn some of the mechanics for the first couple of plays.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Solo quite often and enjoy it a great deal. It is a great way to learn about the game and the heroes, but I also just have fun with it. Dungeon Run has flexible enough rules that you can change things to meet your needs. Too easy? Add more HP to the monsters. Too short? Add more tiles.

I would suggest playing more than one character. It’s not hard to switch between them, and you get a chance to try the PvP aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think solo DungeonRun is pretty awful, myself. So much of the game's mechanics are devoted to player interaction that when you strip them away, you've got very little left. Not to mention, several other chunks of the game are done away with for solo.
The solitaire version is a different game altogether, and it's a pretty bland one. If you are looking for solo dungeon crawling action, go with DungeonQuest or Wrath of Ashardalon. Playing multiple characters in Dungeon Run doesn't work as well as in Descent, as you are literally trying to outsmart and betray the other players. It's not the right environment to commandeer several heroes.
All-in-all, Dungeon Run is great for 4 people (I felt like it really hit its sweet spot at 5, despite not coming with enough stuff to support it technically), but it is not recommended for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Heidenreich

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
I agree with magicstop...There isn't a lot of danger or important decisions to be made playing this game solo. It's pretty bland. If you would like a quick playing dungeon crawl I would also recomend the D&D adventure games. The main difference is that the D&D games continually push you foward with encounter cards and they have a good game system that creates tension while you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
magicstop wrote:
I think solo DungeonRun is pretty awful, myself. So much of the game's mechanics are devoted to player interaction that when you strip them away, you've got very little left. Not to mention, several other chunks of the game are done away with for solo.
The solitaire version is a different game altogether, and it's a pretty bland one. If you are looking for solo dungeon crawling action, go with DungeonQuest or Wrath of Ashardalon. Playing multiple characters in Dungeon Run doesn't work as well as in Descent, as you are literally trying to outsmart and betray the other players. It's not the right environment to commandeer several heroes.
All-in-all, Dungeon Run is great for 4 people (I felt like it really hit its sweet spot at 5, despite not coming with enough stuff to support it technically), but it is not recommended for solo play.

I agree but I would add that Dungeonquest is just as bad solo even though I actually like that one a lot too. Even though DQ doesn't have player interaction, it feels totally lifeless without a chorus of spectators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.