Subject: Weird thing about the Power Grid: ____ games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself having a hard time buying one. It's so clear the marketers are just playing off the fact that Power Grid is awesome and a good seller.

These games have nothing to do with Power Grid, beyond being designed by the same guy and (maybe) sharing a few mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is very much like Power Grid, way more than Factory Manager.

It has technologies instead of power plants, which are bought in simular way as the power plants, with a current market and a future market. It has food instead of money and resources, and you expand your clan members instead of expanding your cities. The player order is determined the same way (highest number of clan members, with ties going to the highest level technology) with the advantage going to the player in last.

Except for a few rule differences, this is mostly just a Power Grid re-theme, than it is a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
I find myself having a hard time buying one. It's so clear the marketers are just playing off the fact that Power Grid is awesome and a good seller.

These games have nothing to do with Power Grid, beyond being designed by the same guy and (maybe) sharing a few mechanics.

It is very very similar.

It is a clear attempt to keep the power grid core and streamline it. I think it was partly successful, it still has the dynamic market aspect and the are control pretty much like the original (but with a random generated map which is a big plus for me), it cut much of the accountant work of the original one.

The auction was substituted by a drafting mechanism that also makes the game faster and keeps the catch up mechanism of the original just as important as the original. I also liked the introduction of the technology, I feel like the original power grid could benefit from a similar concept but the original is long enough as it is.

What I think may play against first sparks is that it became a bit too simplistic and I don't know if it will hold to repeated plays as well as the original. I also preffer the original theme much better, it is a more interesting theme IMO and it integrates perfectly with the gameplay, theme integration in first sparks is not so strong.

As it stands I like both games, first sparks a bit better, but I don't love neither as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to add as well that while Factory Manager was certainly a money grab trying to get attention by using the Power Grid brand, first Sparks is definitely a Power Grid game. Very similar mechanics, and flow.

I actually like the stream-lined-ness (it's a real word, trust me!) of First Sparks, and currently tend to prefer it to regular Power Grid, but they are very close games in feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I wonder if this is because of what happened with FM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if this is because of what happened with FM.

This might help:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19015/the-origins-of-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:

I enjoy both of the spin-offs but I have a feeling that Factory Manager will take a back seat to First Sparks for a bit.

I still wish that Factory Manager had a few more differences at the start of the game.

But First Sparks is different AND close enough in mechanics that I think it really does deserve the name. And the streamlined nature of first sparks is great, especially if you have people who get turned off buy the auctioning and higher number math of Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.