Subject: Colour-blind help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an aside, addressed to David and the publishers...

Yesterday we wanted to play the game (woopeee), but after being halfway through the explanation, we had to pack it in again because there is no way for a colour blind person to play this game.

I know that not many games do include help for a colourblind person, but in most euro games the colours are not that important, and players can actually help one another, up to a certain point.
Also, in many other traitor games, symbols or descriptive names distinguish differently coloured cards from each other.

The problem with PS lies especially with three aspects of the game:
1. The Red Room Symbol. If you cannot distinguish the red background from the grey, this could be a problem. But this is something that can be handled, because here other players can help.
2. The Scan Cards. This is a mayor problem. Both cards are exactly the same, apart from the colouring. So placing the right card into the right slot becomes a game of chance, when scanned...
3. The Infection Cards. There is absolutely no way of telling if the card that seems like an infection attempt came from the player with the same colour. It is outright impossible.
4. The Androids. If you loose track of the situation on-board, chances are that you make really big calculation mistakes because you do not know which of those damn Android is yours. And always asking does slow the game down, as well as probably give away your strategy.

Tactics to avoid this:

a) Include a Danger Sign on the Red Side of the Room Cards. Best would be to put it in the corners of the card, along with the general room symbol (as suggested elsewhere).
b) put a huge Plus in the middle of the red Scan Card, and a huge Minus in the middle of the blue Scan Card.
c) Each colour gets a specific symbol referring to it. This could be easily distinguishable if each player gets another card with the symbol on it as starting card, to put in front of him. Or put the symbol clearly (and huge) in the middle of the character cards, so that everyone can see it easily.
d) provide another set of stickers with the appropriate symbols in the middle of character faces, to put on the back of the playing pieces. Or replace the old ones with it.

I know that this destroys the atmospheric design of the cards a bit. and I really think that they are beautiful.
But shouldn't that be a secondary aspect to playability for more people?

And please do not comment mentioning other, more problematic disabilities (blindness, deafness, muteness), because this is plain silly. And colour-blindness is "insignificantly disabling" enough that playing is not a problem per se - just identification of playing pieces.
Also, please do not make this about political correctness, and such stuff, here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm color blind but not so bad as to be unable to distinguish the pieces. At most, I had a hard time differentiating the purple from the blue.

In any event, I agree that this would be a nice change to the game (and would certainly make it easier for me to play). There's no way I would ever play Ticket to Ride if it weren't for the fact that each train card has a unique symbol to match its color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there are different "grades" of colour-blindness, then. The guy we wanted to play with could differenciate between blue and red (the Scan cards), but could not for the life of him say which was which.
Also, he had a really hard time distinguishing between the various character pieces on the board, colour-wise. The different faces of the troopers help, but the androids are a different matter, there.
And when it came to the infection card colour, he was lost, again...

As to train games - do you have problems distinguishing the different train pieces? Because as the first replacement we thought about playing Age of Steam, but when two lines cross somewhere...
...we were in doubt, so we settled for something else completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.