Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Wood
United States
St. George
UT
flag msg tools
mb
So we find that Chaostle is great with one exception. Whomever has the Unicorn or Dragon has a huge advantage. So unless all the other players band together and make a concerted effort to kill the Speedsters, the game goes to the fastest characters.

I know we could offset this by requiring multiple characters to enter sanctuary to win, or up the HP of the castle. But those add significantly to the length of the game.

A couple of the guys in my gamer group came up with a couple ideas that might level the playing field.

1. A player can sacrifice upgrades to buy start positions. So someone playing the Paladin can win a lot of battles (as he's apt to do). Then pay 2 upgrades to get a start position of 2. Then pay 3 more upgrades to get a start position of 3. Then 4, to the point that he pays 9 total upgrades to get to the last quadrant. Add to this a small change to the way that the dice roll. A roll of a one allows the player to move a character, place a new character on the board or return a character to it's start position.

2. Characters are allowed to enter the middle of the board at other locations, but they can't win unless they've completed the entire board. They can just get up there and kill whomever is up there.

I don't really like the second option as I think it would turn the game into king of the hill, and may even extend the gameplay to longer times.

However the first option really intrigues me as I think it gives a more strategic option to the slow/powerful characters. But I thought I would post it here to see if anyone has some more to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grok Havoc
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unicorn and Dragon (and Centaur and Gargoyle in the expansion) are the fastest characters with 2 movement points. The Wizard can also be just as fast by upgrading his teleportation. I think your best strategy would be to stop them with the many next fastest characters that have only one less movement point. The difference of one movement is significant, but not really enough to avoid being caught in battles.

A good strategy is to make sure you upgrade your characters with one movement to two movements when you get the chance to keep up with the faster characters (especially if the faster characters upgrade to three movements).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The DRAGON SLAYER stops the Dragon dead in his tracks, I gave up trying to get the Dragon by him after getting killed 3 times. The Unicorn was stopped by a combination of characters because it has tough combat advantages. I think the dice offset any big advantages for any one character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.