Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be posting the answers here for others who are thinking about buying this game, I hope this helps others here avoid the headache I have had.

This is my problem

The instruction book was not writen for new gamers, I have printed the FAQ and tried to play this game with a hard core gamer friend and this damn game stumps us, I just don't like searching so hard to find the answer to a question, FFG's you must have rushed this one out, with all the mistakes and hard to read manual, seems like nothing is where it should be, I'm ready to give up.
Instructions should not be so hard to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....missed all the threads and announcement from FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Todd,

I know you emailed me for help with this (I'm just a fan not affiliated with FFG). I directed you to the FAQ. I didn't realize you were having such troubles. What exactly is the hang up? I read the rules and while a couple of things came up in game that weren't clearly defined by the rules (but were since addressed in the FAQ) I found them fairly easy to follow. I'm not trying to put you down I just don't understand the problem. I would be happy to try to help you with specific questions, but it would be difficult to tell you how to play the game via email step by step (that's what the rules are for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

You might look at this video series.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/11043/elder-sign/learning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:

The instruction book was not writen for new gamers,

I really don't think they're that complex or poorly written.

If you're buying Elder Sign to actually play, you're probably not a new gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nguyen
United States
Wallingford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Hmmm....missed all the threads and announcement from FFG?

I've just recently become interested in Elder Sign and missed, well, everything. Did FFG announce changes with a reprint or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a FAQ with errata and clarifications also.

The main thing to be aware of is the alteration to the spell rule. All the other points in the FAQ are minor or obvious really. The FAQ now says that you decide to play a spell after you roll not before.

This makes spells a good step more powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trouvere wrote:
There's a FAQ with errata and clarifications also.

The main thing to be aware of is the alteration to the spell rule. All the other points in the FAQ are minor or obvious really. The FAQ now says that you decide to play a spell after you roll not before.

This makes spells a good step more powerful.

The spell change is a big deal, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest issue is see is remembering the 3 investigator cards that are wrong, most people pull each game out when they get around to playing it again due to have many game in a group of gamers, and forgeting these changes and having to reread the faq in addition to reviewing rules and setup each time tends to make a game very boring to the group and prevents it from getting a yes when asked, "Do you want to play this one" "No it takes too long to get ready"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These game manufactures need to keep in mind that a lot of gamers do not play one game very exclusivly and will forget things requiring review as I mentioned above, stopping the game from making it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry to much about the investigator card errors. It's a shame they didn't catch the mistakes before printing, but the effect it has on games is not that large at all.

Play the investigator cards as written if you like. Hopefully, one day an expansion will pop up with corrected cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
The biggest issue is see is remembering the 3 investigator cards that are wrong, most people pull each game out when they get around to playing it again due to have many game in a group of gamers, and forgeting these changes and having to reread the faq in addition to reviewing rules and setup each time tends to make a game very boring to the group and prevents it from getting a yes when asked, "Do you want to play this one" "No it takes too long to get ready"

I went ahead and marked my investigator cards up to remember. On three of them, I just needed to put an asterisk and "ONCE PER DAY" for their abilities, so not much to write in that will destroy the overall look of the card. Kate Winthrop took a bit more text but again nothing all that aesthetically unpleasing. This way the text is right on the card and I don't have to remember the FAQ each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are terribly written in the box. They never even mention character abilities in the original rule book! They never discuss how long the yellow or red die stay out. The part about where monsters can go is spotty at best, etc.

How is that a "well defined rule set"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is exactly why I started this post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Andres
Germany
Bexbach
flag msg tools
I'm just curious, does anybody know if a reprint with corrected cards has already been released or is still only the first print available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbr├ąten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game a couple of days ago, with no updated components. I'm pretty sure FFG will tell us when they make an updated version.

Edit: If they ever do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine that has been in the hobby since the 80's told me not to expect much, if they do update the components they won't offer them to those who already own the game, for free or to purchase.
I can't say my self, I have never delt with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game a couple of days ago - the rulebook says "Revised Printing" and I notice it contains many, if not all the changes. However, I have not had a chance to look at the character cards to see if they were updated or not.

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
I bought this game a couple of days ago - the rulebook says "Revised Printing" and I notice it contains many, if not all the changes. However, I have not had a chance to look at the character cards to see if they were updated or not.

-SK

Please let me know when you have looked at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bmwrider wrote:
sargonkid wrote:

-SK

According to this thread, they have indeed been updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
sargonkid wrote:

-SK

My three cards are up to date and reflect the change(s).

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff, it people are all getting the up to date version I should be able to get the new peices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
Thanks Jeff, it people are all getting the up to date version I should be able to get the new peices.

I bought mine through amazon.com ($25.69), so I am assuming they are still selling the latest revision....

http://tinyurl.com/9d3ywn4

Edit: Changed link to a tinyurl.com address

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.