Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some iphone 3gs's for about $100 on Ebay. What games will I be locked out of if I purchase one? They seem much cheaper than the equivalent iPod touch. Thanks for your advice, and forgive my brevity I have to run off to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Consider the contract. If you don't already have a smartphone data plan, you'll be paying an additional $30 a month for service for two years. With that in mind, I wouldn't recommend skimping on the phone, since you will then be locked into that phone for the whole two years. If it's not obsolete for gaming now, it will be by then.

EDIT: Just noticed you were buying on eBay, so the contract is likely not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Frick
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Is this real? What is real?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a cheap smart phone that plays every game out there? Legend has it there's one perfect phone available out beyond, up, high, high on the internet's highest summit!, which sells for only $50! Good luck on your journey!

Miss you craniac!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If the phone aspect is just ancillary and you only want it for games, then maybe look towards an iPod Touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I've seen some iphone 3gs's for about $100 on Ebay. What games will I be locked out of if I purchase one? They seem much cheaper than the equivalent iPod touch. Thanks for your advice, and forgive my brevity I have to run off to work.

I'm curious too but don't know anyone understands your question yet..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the wrong question. I had seen a PRE 3gs iphone for about $100, and am pretty sure that it won't work with iOs 5, the latest version of the operating system. 3rd generation ipod touches run around $135 right now. It looks like the 3rd gen iPod touch works with iOs 5. I was just hoping to find the sweet spot of an affordable older iphone for gaming that also had a better camera than the latest ipod touch, but the players at Apple are much, much better at closing or preventing consumer loopholes than I am at finding them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can buy a used iPhone of any kind (1st generation even) perhaps even one with a bad ESN or other issues) and have access to a lot of good games for less than an equivalent capacity iPod Touch. If you have no interest in the phone aspects of the device, then you don't need a contract (unless you are looking for the cost of the device to be subsidized by a carrier).

As for a specific list, you should look at each app you are interested in playing on iTunes and see its compatibilities. I don't know of a site that maintains lists like that. As a few examples, though, I know games like INGENIOUS, HIVE, CATAN, CARCASSONNE, WABASH CANNONBALL, SAMURAI, MEDICI, ZOOLORETTO, MU, TICHU, ASCENSION, HIGH SOCIETY, MONEY, YAHTZEE, BUTTON MEN, ROLL THROUGH THE AGES, BLOKUS, CHESS, KINGSBURG, ARIMAA, TRIBAL DICE, ALCHEMY, TRAX, RA, TIGRIS & EUPRATES, CROKINOLE, HEY! THAT'S MY FISH! and many others have very easy requirements and should run on older devices, though you may have some performance hit on some of them. On the other hand, I think games like HERO ACADEMY, TICKET TO RIDE, CAYLUS, BRAWL, SHADOW ERA, ASSASSIN'S CREED RECOLLECTION, ELDER SIGN, GHOST STORIES, SMALL WORLD, PUERTO RICO, FORBIDDEN ISLAND, and many others may require more current or larger hardware or higher operating systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

You'll want to be able to support at least iOS 4.2 for Game Center. iPodTouch 2G or iPhone 3GS is the minimum to support 4.2.

Also, keep in mind that several of the games that Ben lists are iPad only, so shouldn't factor into your decision-making process. Assassion's Creed Recollection, Ghost Stories, Small World, Puerto Rico, and Forbidden Island are all out unless you are ready to jump up to the $500 price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iPhone 4, just wait a year or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, a significant amount of boardgames are iPad only and won't run on iPhone or iPod Touch. If the only reason you're buying it is for boardgames, I cannot honestly recommend anything but some sort of iPad for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason many boardgames are iPad-only is because there's just not enough screen real estate to allow many boardgames to be played comfortably on an iPhone or iPod. That makes the iPad more desireable, but alas, it's much more expensive than an older handheld device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My work purchased an iPad 2 for me, so this is sort of a backup device for when I don't want to "haul" the iPad around or be more discrete about my game playing. Yes, I am the Apple one percent. It is also a bummer that a decent, standalone boardgame ecology hasn't emerged for desktops and laptops. Yeah, there is Vassal and some great websites, but nothing like an app store that is cross platform and filled with turn-based, online boardgames that are relatively cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3GS is starting to show its age...it runs iOS 5, but it's noticeably slower than it used to be. I fully expect it to be left behind in the next major upgrade (late 2012, maybe?). I would keep that in mind if looking for a phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend a 3GS...it's just too old by this point. Get a 4 if possible, and the newest is very recommended. That, or wait a few months until iPad 3 comes out and get it. It'll be amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
None? That's not a flip anti-Apple comment either. It's just that the iPhone is a poor fit for board gaming.

There is a very strong chance Apple will be rolling out an iPad 3 around March of this year. By that time you'll have both iPad 1 and iPad 2 units on the secondary market. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up an iPad 1 for $250'ish in the right market (in the used market where I live, iPad 1 units currently go for $350-450, but it'll be tough to justify that price when iPad 2 units start appearing in the after market).

I've been using the iPad 1 for board games for some time now and haven't run into a board game that ran poorly on it (the requirements of board games are quite low).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree that the iPhone is a bad platform for boardgames. Sure some won't play on it, but others work just fine like Ascension and Ticket to Ride. The iPhone is also much more portable. I always have mine in my pocket. I can't say the same thing about my iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
My iPod Touch 2g with iOS 4.2.1 is still hanging in there, but more and more games require iOS 4.3 or even iOS 5, and a lot of games are fairly sluggish. Luckily, I have an iPad 2 (which is how I really know that some games are sluggish on my iPod Touch). )

For longevity, I'd recommend getting something that can handle iOS 5 - namely an iPod Touch 3g or 4g, or an iPhone 3GS, 4, or 4S.

Caylus is a universal app, but it requires iOS 4.3.

Forbidden Island is an iPad-only app that requires iOS 4.3.

While Ascension does work fine on my iPod Touch 2g, the graphics are TINY. If you don't know the game well, you'll be doing a lot of zooming in to read things. Occasionally, when the AI has to "think" hard, it can be slow on my iPad 2, and glacial on my iPod Touch 2g.

Codito's apps, like Tigris & Euphrates, work amazingly well on the small screen - they do a really good job designing their apps to be universal (Medici is the exception. It has separate apps.) All of their apps work very well (although sometimes noticeably slower) on my iPod Touch 2g.

Caylus requiring iOS 4.3 is a sign of the times. I don't recall where I read this, but I think the upcoming Alien Frontiers app will also require iOS 4.3. I expect it won't be long before new game apps typically require iOS 5 because of the latest Game Center features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dmassek wrote:
I disagree that the iPhone is a bad platform for boardgames. Sure some won't play on it, but others work just fine like Ascension and Ticket to Ride. The iPhone is also much more portable. I always have mine in my pocket. I can't say the same thing about my iPad.

I've been playing the crap out of Ascension on the iPad over the last week or so... I simply cannot imagine playing this on the iPhone screen. It's a great implementation on the iPad, don't get me wrong, but it's still a little cramped and the text is really small... and that's on a playing surface the size of a magazine, not the size of a deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
dmassek wrote:

I've been playing the crap out of Ascension on the iPad over the last week or so... I simply cannot imagine playing this on the iPhone screen. It's a great implementation on the iPad, don't get me wrong, but it's still a little cramped and the text is really small... and that's on a playing surface the size of a magazine, not the size of a deck of cards.

It actually plays great on an iPhone screen. It's great on my current 4s and it was great on my old 3GS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problems playing Ascension on my iPhone when I do need a reminder on what a card text says the zoom works well to do that. It actually felt weird to me to try to play it on my iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
jfitzpatrick wrote:
dmassek wrote:

It actually plays great on an iPhone screen. It's great on my current 4s and it was great on my old 3GS.

Really? I'm trying to imagine it with the smaller screen and I don't know... it seems so, so, very tiny. I'll have to see if I can dig up a friend with an iPhone and buy them a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have played a number of games of ascension you can tell what the card is by the art, and for the ones that you need to see the text the zoom feature is very quick and easy to use. The iPad drives me nuts because I have to drag cards too far! I am spoiled by how little I need to drag on the smaller screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, I can see that... there are a few iPhone games that I play on the iPad using RetinaDisplay to enlarge them... and the amount of drag-across-the-screen motions is a bit annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iphone vs. Ipod Touch
Agreed with all previous comments about such... if you're not going to be using Iph for on-the-go internet and phone calls, you should be getting an IpT. Only a few hundred $ new, but cheaper by around $100 if you get one used (helpful if it's last gen model). Only thing with internet on-the-go is you can play async games on the road and some games may not record achievements if you have no internet access and GameCenter access.

Oh, if you really are using it as a cell phone one day, I've heard from other Iph users, and as an And user myself... the battery life can go VERY quickly such that you really only have enough battery for heavy gaming OR calls, but NOT both. Buy car charger, ext battery pack, or seek out outlets at airports, convention centers, etc. like zombies looking for brains.

Speaking of which...

OS
os4 is where GC access came in, so you'll want to have that if you're thinking about playing certain games in online MP and them acheivements

I read through quite a few of the iOS blog commentary and a thing that comes up is os4 has a slew of features that made development alot easier for devs. Some devs aren't as open to support os3 and before that since it may put too much work for them for not enough gain. The same folks commented how there isn't a huge difference between os4 and os5, so you should be "future proof" for the longer haul, but nowadays, all bets may still be off.

I myself and am at 4.3.5 and am able to run many games just fine. I originally got os4 since it was awful how os3 didn't let you organize stuff in folders yuk

Retina
Available on IpT4 and Iph4, it does make some games sharper. For example, I've compared the same screen for Asc side by side with my old IpT3 and new IpT4... on the IpT4, you can actually make out the text on the cards when it's not zoomed in, though for some people, it may be straining on the eyes.

In this sample, only the middle comparison images are shown at enlarged sizes. For the other 2 sets, I kept them at smaller size to keep the post from becoming too "unwieldy", but you can click on them to open them up. When viewed on the IpT's much smaller screen, the details and sharper text from a Retina screen stand out that much. On the Retina screen, you can actually make out the text without having to zoom in while on the IpT3's non-Retina screen, it's all just a jumbled, pixelated mess.

capacity
8 GB should be enough ifyou're NOT going to put much movies, music, and PC-like games on there (e.g. Dungeon Hunter is similar to Diablo for PC and has a 226MB footprint). People typically feel their comfort level at 32 GB (16 GB if there's a IpT model with that capacity), so the 8GB can be snagged up for cheap. Furthermore, 8GB IpT have often been given away at raffles and other such functions, as a testament to how cheaply they can be obtained.

iOS board games only available via Ipad
It "hit me" one day, so I did a bit of research and turned that into a geeklist of that here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/103523/ipad-only-board...

After playing Ghost Stories, I am a bit tempted to get an Ipad so I can try that and other Ipad only board games, but unemployment makes it even worse I was thinking of doing the same thing... wait a few months to a year after the Ipad 3 comes out, then snag the cheapest Ipad 1 for cheap (likely a 16GB model without 3G; depending on my financial situation, $150, but I can settle for $200)

Anyone know what OS the Ipad comes with, and what it's upgradeable to?

EDIT: changed "wifi" to 3G
added Retina section with screenshots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
iOS board games only available via Ipad
It "hit me" one day, so I did a bit of research and turned that into a geeklist of that here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/103523/ipad-only-board...

After playing Ghost Stories, I am a bit tempted to get an Ipad so I can try that and other Ipad only board games, but unemployment makes it even worse I was thinking of doing the same thing... wait a few months to a year after the Ipad 3 comes out, then snag the cheapest Ipad 1 for cheap (likely a 16GB model without wifi; depending on my financial situation, $150, but I can settle for $200)

All the iPads have Wi-Fi; some of them also have Verizon or AT&T 3G data capability.

ackmondual wrote:
Anyone know what OS the Ipad comes with, and what it's upgradeable to?

The iPad 1 shipped with iOS 3.2 originally, but all iPads can be upgraded to iOS 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.