John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a detailed account of The Seventh Level, played solo.
The deck is a general-purpose one I have been developing, and is not specifically built for this quest. It is built using all the cards in print.

Heroes:

• Frodo Baggins (Conflict at the Carrock)
• Éowyn (Core Set)
• Beravor (Core Set)

Allies: (24)

2 Northern Tracker (Core Set)
3 The Riddermark's Finest (The Hills of Emyn Muil)
2 West Road Traveller (Return to Mirkwood)
1 Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)
3 Erebor Hammersmith (Core Set)
2 Henamarth Riversong (Core Set)
3 Zigil Miner (Khazad-dum)
3 Gandalf (Core Set)
3 Gildor Inglorion (The Hills of Emyn Muil)
2 Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set)

Attachments: (14):

3 Unexpected Courage (Core Set)
2 A Burning Brand (Conflict at the Carrock)
2 Fast Hitch (The Dead Marshes)
3 Forest Snare (Core Set)
2 Protector of Lórien (Core Set)
2 Song of Wisdom (Conflict at the Carrock)

Events: (13)

3 A Test of Will (Core Set)
2 The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set)
2 Will of the West (Core Set)
1 Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
1 Dwarven Tomb (Core Set)
1 Stand and Fight (Core Set)
1 Fortune or Fate (Core Set)
2 Infighting (A Journey to Rhosgobel)

Total 51 cards.

Initial threat is 26.
Initial encounter card is Plundered Armoury.
Initial Hand: Fast Hitch, Gildor Inglorion, Infighting, Fortune or Fate, Gandalf, Zigil Miner.

Turn 1:
Quest stage: 1B
In Staging: Plundered Armoury.

Draw Will of the West.
Play Zigil Miner, Fast Hitch on Frodo.
Quest with Eowyn (4). Reveal Watchful Eyes, attach to Frodo. 1 progress.
Travel to Plundered Armoury.
Beravor draws 2 cards: Song of Wisdom, Erebor Hammersmith.
Use Zigil Miner: discard Henamarth Riversong, West Road Traveller. Gain 2 resources.
Raise threat to 27.

Turn 2:
Quest stage: 1B (1)
Current location: Plundered Armoury.

Draw Zigil Miner.
Use Zigil Miner: discard The Riddermark's Finest, Stand and Fight. Gain 2 resources.
Play Gildor Inglorion.
Use Gildor to look at deck: Burning Brand, Gandalf, Song of Wisdom. Take Burning Brand, return Fortune or Fate to the deck.
Play Zigil Miner.
Use Zigil Miner: discard Fortune or Fate, Song of Wisdom. Gain 5 resources.
Play Erebor Hammersmith (return Song of Wisdom), Song of Wisdom and Burning Brand on frodo.
Quest with Eowyn, Frodo (6). Reveal Goblin Archer. 4 progress clears Plundered Armoury and places 2 progress on 1B.
Berevor draws 2 cards: Gandalf, Gandalf.
Raise threat to 28.

Turn 3:
Quest stage: 1B (3)
In Staging: Goblin Archer.

Draw A Test of Will.
Use Gildor to look at deck: The Riddermark's Finest, Protector of Lorien, The Galadhrim's Greeting. Draw Protector of Lorien, return Gandalf.
Use Zigil Miner: Gandalf, The Riddermark's Finest. Gain 5 resources.
Use Zigil Miner: The Galadhrim's Greeting, Unexpected Courage. Gain 3 resources.
Play Gandalf (4 damage on Goblin Archer), Protector of Lorien on Frodo.
Quest with Eowyn, Gandalf, Frodo (10). Reveal Hidden Threat (discard Song of Wisdom on Frodo). Discard Will of the West, Infighting to Protector Of Lorien to complete quest stage 1B.
Berevor draws 2 cards: Northern Tracker, The Galadhrim's Greeting.
Raise threat to 29.

Turn 4:
Quest stage: 2B

Draw Hasty Stroke.
Play Gandalf (draw Forest Snare, Dwarven Tomb, Will of the West).
Quest with Eowyn, Frodo, Berevor, Gildor, 2 Zigil Miners, Erebor Hammersmith, Gandalf (18). Reveal Orc Horn-blower, extr card is Undisturbed Bones (kills a Zigil Miner), surge card is Goblin Scout. Extra revealed card (2B) is Watchful Eyes (no effect).
Play The Galadhrim's Greeting (lower threat to 23).
Discard 6 cards to Protector of Lorien for 18 progress, completing 2B and the quest.

Final score: Threat 23 + Damage 0 - Victory Points 0 + Turns taken 30 = 53.

I was lucky with my card draws from my own deck and from the encounter deck. I am coming round to the view that Zigil Miner is too powerful, especially in a deck set up to take advantage of his ability.

By contrast, the preceding game I played with the same deck against the same quest had me facing four Goblin Swordsmen at the end of turn 1 - quickly followed by my fastest ever loss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
jackalmonkey wrote:
Pardon my confusion, but how did you get Zigil Miner out on the first turn with only one spirit resource?

Frodo and Eowyn are both Spirit heroes.

But more importantly: How did you guess all those Zigil Miner numbers right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Aubert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, i'm skeptical too on this 100% rate of success with Zigil miner.
Are you sure that you're playing them right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Eowyn and Frodo are Spirit heroes.

Thanks for the writeup. I'm going to try out Seventh level tonight with my new dwarf deck (tactics/lore/leadership). I didn't include Zigil miner, but I'm reconsidering after reading your session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blutch75 wrote:

The only guess was on the first turn. After that he had stacked the deck with Gildor and knew what at least one of the cards would be.

18 out of his 51 cards have a cost of 2 so getting that first guess right is not too surprising. The odds were better than 50%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
Turn 2:
4 progress clears Plundered Armoury and places 2 progress on 1B.

I may be missing something, only played core set so far, but how did you place 2 progress on 1B here?
Aren't extra progress just wasted?
They dont carry over to the next location, do they? Something changed in K-D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
sirprim wrote:
jackalmonkey wrote:
Pardon my confusion, but how did you get Zigil Miner out on the first turn with only one spirit resource?

Frodo and Eowyn are both Spirit heroes.

But more importantly: How did you guess all those Zigil Miner numbers right?

I think he only guessed the first two time. After that Gildor told him what to expect.

Edit: He only guessed once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbiddick wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
Turn 2:

I may be missing something, only played core set so far, but how did you place 2 progress on 1B here?

This is in the standard rules. See the example at the bottom of page 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
Blutch75 wrote:

The only guess was on the first turn. After that he had stacked the deck with Gildor and knew what at least one of the cards would be.

18 out of his 51 cards have a cost of 2 so getting that first guess right is not too surprising. The odds were better than 50%.

Indeed, just as you say. I keep a rough track in my head of how many 2 and 5 cost cards I have seen and will guess either 2 or 5 depending on what's left in the deck (and how many resources I need). Since I had three 5 cost cards in my hand, 2 was the obvious number to guess at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
I keep a rough track in my head of how many 2 and 5 cost cards I have seen and will guess either 2 or 5 depending on what's left in the deck (and how many resources I need). Since I had three 5 cost cards in my hand, 2 was the obvious number to guess at that time.

Excellent!

A couple of questions.

Was Song of Wisdom mostly so you could give Flaming Brand to Frodo? Do you use it for more Lore resources when Zigil Miner is late?

Have you tried using Beorn with Stand and Fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
I keep a rough track in my head of how many 2 and 5 cost cards I have seen and will guess either 2 or 5 depending on what's left in the deck (and how many resources I need). Since I had three 5 cost cards in my hand, 2 was the obvious number to guess at that time.

Excellent!

A couple of questions.

Was Song of Wisdom mostly so you could give Flaming Brand to Frodo?
Do you use it for more Lore resources when Zigil Miner is late?

The deck is about 50% Spirit, 50% Lore. At the start, it often struggles for Lore resources. Once I have Song of Wisdom on Frodo, he gets all the resources from the Zigil Miners, and his rsources allow me to play any card in the deck. I never play a second Song of Wisdom (unless the first is destroyed).

Usually I play Protector of Lorien and Burning Brand on Frodo, but sometimes I don't draw the cards I want and end up with Burning Brand and/or Protector of Lorien on Berevor instead. Since I have a second of each in the deck, I will hopefully get to play the others on Frodo eventually and leave Berevor to draw cards.
BitJam wrote:

Have you tried using Beorn with Stand and Fight?

No, I haven't. I'd struggle to find cards to take out to add this combo. The deck already has more late game and situational cards than I like, and adding more Stand and Fight and Beorn would make it even more vulnerable to bad opening draws. I would add Beorn if I was also playing Sneak Attack, but then it would be a very different deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
cbiddick wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
Turn 2:

This is in the standard rules. See the example at the bottom of page 15.

WOW, I completely screwed that one up! blushblushshake That will make everything quite a bit easier... ( checked rules when I got home, Thanks for setting me straight ) Guess I will re-read them to make sure I didnt totally blast anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Barclay
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is some confusion between locations and quests. Yes in the example you listed excess progress tokens would carry over from a location to the active quest. Check page 22 under "Quest Advancement". Additional progress tokens earned do not carry over to the next stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.