jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of you have likely seen this video already:


My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?

I am claiming ignorance on this one, and am mostly curious to hear arguments on both sides, though I will disclose my bias in a moment.

The thing that made me wonder this is the fact that even in this piece of satire, they still "used" the "product" on women who are already beautiful. (Aside from the likely photoshopped to be uglier older woman).

What am I missing here? Having done no outside research on what is (I assume) a hotly debated topic, what is wrong with making beautiful men or women more beautiful with software?
16 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of this one by Dove from a few years back.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.


I think this sums it up for me also. I also don't enjoy the "overuse" of CAD in movies so I don't see any anymore. Technology may have passed me by.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.



Yep. There you have it.

Boy that was a short thread.
26 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.


Babies.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Reminds me of this one by Dove from a few years back.


Oooh - how about this one?

13 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.


Ditto. Knowing several people who's had eating disorders, I dislike this use of Photoshop.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize Adobe was pronounced like that...
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
col_w wrote:
Reminds me of this one by Dove from a few years back.


Oooh - how about this one?



I disagree with her including bathing and contact lenses. I can't quite place what she's trying to prove and what angle she's coming from though.



Her accent's annoying though. Why can't she fix that? whistle
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this on the newstand and did not recognize her. Looks like a starvation victim. And where are her hips?



She looks like she needs to be hospitalized.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Great line I heard about Photoshop:

"If steroids are illegal for professional athletes, should Photoshop be illegal for models?"

EDIT: Ah, here's the link: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35k638/
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Just saw this on the newstand and did not recognize her. Looks like a starvation victim. And where are her hips?



She looks like she needs to be hospitalized.


I mean, is she really that thin? I always admired her for having curves. Compared to this photo (don't know the date), something is definitely missing.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I makes Jeff Wiles look GUUUUUUUD!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Seriously though. I used the healing brush on this one of my wife to cover up a blemish. I don't see anything wrong with it. This is how I see her and perceive her when I'm not with her. I don't mind a little photoshop to make a photo look like how I experienced something with my eyes.



Plus, I just wanted to put up a picture of my wife cause I likes her. kiss
25 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.


OK. I know very little about woman's body image, and self-confidence, and women's portrayal in media.

However, to play devil's advocate a little here...
Why are people on magazine covers the "goal" of beauty? At what point are women responsible for their own unhappiness in not accepting themselves as beautiful?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.


OK. I know very little about woman's body image, and self-confidence, and women's portrayal in media.

However, to play devil's advocate a little here...
Why are people on magazine covers the "goal" of beauty? At what point are women responsible for their own unhappiness in not accepting themselves as beautiful?


I think both men and women are 100% responsible for their happiness/unhappiness, but marketing is a powerful tool and a lot of people are easily swayed by it. You gotta remember that there a few shallow minded people around.

As for me, bald is beautiful.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

My question is this: what is the objection to using Photoshop?


It creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women.


OK. I know very little about woman's body image, and self-confidence, and women's portrayal in media.

However, to play devil's advocate a little here...
Why are people on magazine covers the "goal" of beauty? At what point are women responsible for their own unhappiness in not accepting themselves as beautiful?

Yes, people are responsible for themselves, but when you're faced with photoshopped images multiple times every day, you believe you are not good enough. People in ads are the "goal" because ads etc are telling us that's what we should be like or what we should want in a partner or friend. They're telling us that we're not good/wanted if we don't look like that.

Marketing affects you even if you know what it's trying to do and think you're ignoring it.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Yes, people are responsible for themselves, but when you're faced with photoshopped images multiple times every day, you believe you are not good enough. People in ads are the "goal" because ads etc are telling us that's what we should be like or what we should want in a partner or friend. They're telling us that we're not good/wanted if we don't look like that.

Marketing affects you even if you know what it's trying to do and think you're ignoring it.


Why do "people" accept marketing as the source of "what we should be like or what we should want?"

As a branch off from the main topic, even if Photoshop use was not so widespread, the majority of men and women being photographed for magazine covers are already supremely attractive. This would suggest to me that Photoshop is merely a symptom of a much larger issue. And that men and women who tie their own self-worth to what magazines tell them might still have an issue with beautiful people being photographed even if Photoshop was not in use. What would come under fire next? Professional makeup or hairdressers? Professional lighting or expensive cameras? Or beautiful people themselves?

I guess my question is, what is the endgame? If we accept that the use of Photoshop "creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women," as I believe is fairly reasonable, what would people who are so affected by the marketing of "beauty" do when beautiful people are still on magazine covers? Photoshop or not, my fiance will never look like Blake Lively, and I will never look like Daniel Dae Kim. I'm fine with both of those facts. What is stopping everyone else?
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Orangemoose wrote:

As for me, bald is beautiful.


Don't you mean the Joe Gola haircut?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Why do "people" accept marketing as the source of "what we should be like or what we should want?"

As a branch off from the main topic, even if Photoshop use was not so widespread, the majority of men and women being photographed for magazine covers are already supremely attractive. This would suggest to me that Photoshop is merely a symptom of a much larger issue. And that men and women who tie their own self-worth to what magazines tell them might still have an issue with beautiful people being photographed even if Photoshop was not in use. What would come under fire next? Professional makeup or hairdressers? Professional lighting or expensive cameras? Or beautiful people themselves?

I guess my question is, what is the endgame? If we accept that the use of Photoshop "creates an unrealistic and inhuman goal of beauty which leads to feelings of being ugly and unhappy, poor body image and low self esteem, both for the women who can't look that way and the men who can't find those women," as I believe is fairly reasonable, what would people who are so affected by the marketing of "beauty" do when beautiful people are still on magazine covers? Photoshop or not, my fiance will never look like Blake Lively, and I will never look like Daniel Dae Kim. I'm fine with both of those facts. What is stopping everyone else?

Good for you. I'm glad you're above all that. But it really doesn't take much for people to start feeling bad about themselves when they're constantly hit with images of skinny, good looking people. When you say "why can't everyone else just get over it," you are belittling their struggle.

I used to think that way. Then I started paying attention to how women and girls really think about ourselves. And how men treat us. Because it doesn't matter what I think. If I'm constantly slammed with the idea that the "ideal" woman is a size 2, I will begin to find something wrong with me. You go to the store and can't find anything that fits EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE NORMAL according to the CDC's BMI charts (and many people would argue that those charts suggest people should weigh less than they really should, yet clothes on the rack are designed for even smaller people). I guess I really started to think about how most women feel after I had a baby and didn't immediately go back to the size I was. I'm almost there now, but some parts of me will never go back, including the shape of my face. And I hate that.

Read this article (pictures NSFW). Does this woman look fat? You betcha. But she's not. We're led to believe she is because of all the ads etc that we're inundated with. She's a size 12. A SIZE TWELVE! And she's a "plus" size model. Size 12 is average -- not plus. Plus doesn't happen until size 18 or 20. But this is what we're told (again and again and again and again and again and again and again) to believe.

28 
 Thumb up
1.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This better not get back to my wife, but she has put on a few pounds in our 30 year marriage (I have stayed the same) and I LOVE HER TO DEATH. She is the best person I have ever met, screw the beauty ads.

I only wish people would look past the superficial.
15 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for the use of photoshop as the airbrushing often makes the models/actors/actresses not actually look like themselves (see the Drew picture for example, her face looks nothing like her).


However I DO like slim women. They get bad coverage these days from the shouty "look at that starving women, curves are beautiful" people. Of course I don't want a lady to survive on an apple and a cup of coffee a day to get to slim but there are plenty of women out there who are naturally pretty slender.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
I'm fine with both of those facts. What is stopping everyone else?


Do you have kids? Daughters? How old are they?

14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a related story, my wife refuses to make her own clothes, even though she's capable, and is crafty enough to make cool stuff, because she can't stand the sizes on the old patterns.

When her measurements match up (and she's near her goal-weight, and darn fine looking to boot) with a size that's larger than she thinks she "should be" because what a size 16 or whatever means has changed drastically over the years (marketing ploy) it makes her feel bad about herself.

This defeats the purpose of the nice-looking clothes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.