Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which DnD Game is best to buy as a start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!!

I did intend to buy Wrath Of Ashardalon but seems to be unavailable. I just wondered whether people thought Legend of Drizzt or Castle Ravenloft are better games and worth buying or should I wait for Wrath?

I watched some reviews and got the idea that each game improved on the former but also that Legend of Drizzt was too easy and Wrath was a better gaming experience.

Any views?

Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Get Castle Ravenloft if you like horror themes and high difficulty, get Legend of Drizzt if you like epic heroes with easy to normal difficulty.

Wrath seems to combine the best of both games, plus campaign rules, so I would consider Wrath a wiser choice, it depends on how long you are willing to wait. I'm really impatient with games, if I were you, I would buy CR or LoD.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Stone Dwarf wrote:
Get Castle Ravenloft if you like horror themes and high difficulty, get Legend of Drizzt if you like epic heroes with easy to normal difficulty.

Wrath seems to combine the best of both games, plus campaign rules, so I would consider Wrath a wiser choice, it depends on how long you are willing to wait. I'm really impatient with games, if I were you, I would buy CR or LoD.


That matches up with my experiences and what I've heard - I've only played DRIZZT at a pre-launch event, but even the guy running the demo said RAVENLOFT is really hard - we smacked up DRIZZT and only used one healing surge - it continually felt like we might have trouble coming up next round, but it never got really bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CR is incredibly hard. To the point of frustration at times. The encounters you draw when either not exploring or exploring and drawing a black triangle on a tile are pretty much all designed to kill you. I'm still waiting to purchase WoA and LoD, so I don't know how it compares. If you're looking for a challenge, though, look no further.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Outkast wrote:
That matches up with my experiences and what I've heard - I've only played DRIZZT at a pre-launch event, but even the guy running the demo said RAVENLOFT is really hard - we smacked up DRIZZT and only used one healing surge - it continually felt like we might have trouble coming up next round, but it never got really bad.


I know, Drizzt and Ravenloft are almost complete opposites; while you may only need one healing surge in LoD, some scenarios in CR can easily burn through 5 healing surges with just a few unlucky rolls.shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
dystopialand wrote:
CR is incredibly hard. To the point of frustration at times. The encounters you draw when either not exploring or exploring and drawing a black triangle on a tile are pretty much all designed to kill you. I'm still waiting to purchase WoA and LoD, so I don't know how it compares. If you're looking for a challenge, though, look no further.


Yeah, the tempo in CR seems a bit like this: turn 1, you get hurt, turn 2, you get hurt really bad, turn 3 you get healed... turn 6, you died. zombie

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
It seems like I read Ashardalon was being reprinted with a feb/march sort of date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Also, if you want to buy Legend of Drizzt: I don't think you'll find it cheaper than this in the UK (I couldn't) -
http://www.thegeekestlink.com/Board-Games/Legend-of-Drizzt-B...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you check the review forums for the games on BGG?
I found this link informative, but the other threads as well:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/713008/legend-of-drizzt-...

I bought LoD yesterday partly based on this. Checking it out soon I hope!
I must admit that I expect to play it with a few non-die-hard-gamers, so the challenge rating being perhaps lower than for WoA or CR was a good thing for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For stock game play I'd start with the Legend of Drizzt and work my way backwards. Each installment adds improvements and new features to help enrich the series. A bonus is Drizzt is currently cheaper than the other two games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
The one potential issue with DRIZZT is balance - in our game, Drizzt was ludicrously superior to every other PC by huge amounts, and some of us were pretty slick - I was the archer woman, who had some interesting Stances, but she just did not compare.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three of them and I must recommend either Ravenloft or Ashardalon, despite being very good Drizzt was for me, the weakest of the three.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, if you're into painting minis, they're an awesome source for them. CR has an undead theme if you're into that, while WoA is more Lovecraftian in some instances.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
dystopialand wrote:
Also, if you're into painting minis, they're an awesome source for them. CR has an undead theme if you're into that, while WoA is more Lovecraftian in some instances.


Call of Ashardalon? Or maybe Wrath of Cthulhu? goo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.