Subject: e175. Wake the Devil rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's more a language question than a rules one, sorry if it's obvious.

I'm playing my first adventure and we have revealed the Goal with following sentence:

Quote:
At the end of four Turns after the Goal is revealed, take a -1DM penalty

If the Goal was revealed on Turn 1, does it mean "at the end of each of Turns 1, 2, 3 and 4 - take -1DM penalty"? Or is it only "at the end of Turn 4"?
The first one seems a bit too much, but who knows what to expect from an ancient evil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
I guess it's more a language question than a rules one, sorry if it's obvious.

I'm playing my first adventure and we have revealed the Goal with following sentence:

Quote:
At the end of four Turns after the Goal is revealed, take a -1DM penalty

If the Goal was revealed on Turn 1, does it mean "at the end of each of Turns 1, 2, 3 and 4 - take -1DM penalty"? Or is it only "at the end of Turn 4"?
The first one seems a bit too much, but who knows what to expect from an ancient evil...

If the Goal was revealed on Turn 1, then Turn 1 wouldn't be "after the Goal is revealed," would it? I would think that a Turn 1 Wake the Devil would have an effect on turns 2-5, not 1-4.

That aside, the letter of the phrasing here implies a one time penalty of a single DM - a single "end" of a period of "four turns after the goal is revealed": In storytelling terms, the cultists stood around chanting for four turns, and the ancient evil was awakened at the end of the fourth turn, making it more difficult to overcome.

If that's not the intended meaning, I would expect the phrasing to be more along the lines of:

Quote:
At the end of each Turn, for four Turns after the Goal is revealed, take a -1DM penalty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Devil Wakes at turn 5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.